WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hiker Trash - Safety Squad! JokerJersey's Avatar
    Images

Default Sorting through the trash...

I've only been a member of WB for about a week now, but already in that time I've seen about 80 posts by one person who has never even set foot on the AT by self-admission, a number of others by folks who talk tough about thier guns or knives, and several threads dealing with nothing but conjecture based on second-hand (or third, fourth, fifth-hand) information about people's behavior and a town's outlook on hikers.

As someone who is actually looking for decent advice on a far-flung range of topics that aren't all covered by guidebooks or travel brochures, how do those of you who have been here awhile actually sort through all the garbage that flies around here to get to the single kernel of worthwhile information without spending hours each day pouring over it?

Please enlighten me. Is there any way to ignore posters whom you've already singled out as being bad or worthless sources of information? Also, I'm not talking about banter back and forth between friends or jokes in appropriate areas, but more along the lines of someone asking a direct question only to be met with 2 decent replies followed by 6 pages of drivel that doesn't relate in ANY way to the topic at hand. I'm also not talking about anything directly related to me either, just an "in general" question.

If there is really no rhyme or reason to it, just come out and say so. I'm cool with that, if that is truly the case.
    Pyro - Bringin' the heat! '11 Safety Tribe firestarter

2011 - Springer to Pearisburg

Images

Unfortunatly, theres no way to know whos advice is legitimate and who's is not without having been here for a while and getting a feel for it. Also just because someone hasn't been on the AT doesn't mean they dont know what they are talking about. Its like a coach teaching a sport that they themselves could never play. However, I recommend you use the same skills sets you've used in life to weed through all the bull and apply it here. Question what people say....and listen to there responses.

If all else fails just listen to everything I say....

Images

There is an "ignore" feature for those you find to be idiots and you could also try the straight forward forum where not as much BS is tolerated.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    There is an "ignore" feature for those you find to be idiots and you could also try the straight forward forum where not as much BS is tolerated.
    Ah thanks...where can I find this ignore feature at?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JokerJersey View Post
    Ah thanks...where can I find this ignore feature at?
    Click on User CP and then on Edit Ignore.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jrnj5k View Post
    Also just because someone hasn't been on the AT doesn't mean they dont know what they are talking about. Its like a coach teaching a sport that they themselves could never play.
    Well, I get this part of it. If it's a hiking related question, then yes, anyone with hiking experience can chime in on it. But when it's a question directly related to the AT, one of the towns around the AT, outfitters on the AT, etc. and someone who has never set foot on the AT answers it...how can you (not you personally, but the all-encompassing you) apply that same logic?

To me, that's like asking someone about how to properly care for a beagle only to have someone say, "Well, when I'm combing my cat...".

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JokerJersey View Post
    Well, I get this part of it. If it's a hiking related question, then yes, anyone with hiking experience can chime in on it. But when it's a question directly related to the AT, one of the towns around the AT, outfitters on the AT, etc. and someone who has never set foot on the AT answers it...how can you (not you personally, but the all-encompassing you) apply that same logic?

To me, that's like asking someone about how to properly care for a beagle only to have someone say, "Well, when I'm combing my cat...".
    Sometimes they just know and others they dont. You'll have to judge that one yourself. Remember the movie Good Will Hunting....he got all of his knowledge from books...

I think when you ask a question you are going to get good answers,some smart remarks and some comments that have nothing to do with anything. You just never know. Use your head and sort through it.There are enough people here who care and will try and answer your question.---Two Tents.

Images

Default Suggestions

What you have observed is absolutely true and sorting the wheat from the chaff is often no simple task for someone new to WhiteBlaze or a topic, yet it's those individuals we are here to serve.

You might PM someone whose posts you've come find are consistently reliable and ask their opinion or request a referral to someone who is knowledgeable about a particular topic.

It helps to find a few friends with whom you have more in common than simply the AT. Read the user profiles of members who appear to have similiar interests.

An excellent thread idea. Some are apt to not like what you've observed called to their attention, but good luck anyway. I expect you will get a few good answers like with most threads. It might be easier for you to determine the good responses to this thread than with some of the others.

Christus Cowboy
    Images

Default PMing is a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    .....You might PM someone whose posts you've come find are consistently reliable and ask their opinion or request a referral to someone who is knowledgeable about a particular topic.....
    This is what I do.... you may have to invest some time initially to determine the individuals who can provide you clear and concise information an then hit the PM channel.... Another thing to consider is using the search tools can help in filtering down to a specific topic as well....

Another idea that you may want to consider is that if you are noticing that the first few posts are topic related, followed by 18 pages of drivel then reserve your viewing to the first couple of pages of a specific thread.

Discussion threads are very fluid and with the diversity of backgrounds represented on whiteblaze thread drift is pretty common....
    Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love..... 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Boobs. . .

Images

We hikers as a group come from vastly different backgrounds and often have opposing viewpoints. That is true of any slice of society, but if you look at those who you meet on the trail, it seems especially so with the trail crowd. Since we are human and thus prone to being opinionated there are frequent disagreements over the subjects that come up. I tend to be more vocal in my thoughts than some and as such I have angered a few already during my relatively short time here at WB. However, as adults who can agree to disagree, we stand to learn much from each other if an open mind is maintained.

Don't be put off by what seems to be a contentious group. Most people here would be awsome to spend time with I'm sure, we just seem a little rough some times and often it's just playful ribbing among electronic friends. Enjoy the site for it's valuable information and in time you'll learn to seperate the wheat from the chaff.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

2010 complete

One thing that is happening is people in the know are hiking and unable to give good responses, and the rest of us (knowledgeable or not) are not hiking and getting cabin fever; therefore, getting rowdy.

not a good time for the forum. IMO

I will say that it is a valuable tool for hiking and serves me well.
    If you ask a particular question, it's usually answered.

Thumbs up Approved!

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    One thing that is happening is people in the know are hiking and unable to give good responses, and the rest of us (knowledgeable or not) are not hiking and getting cabin fever; therefore, getting rowdy.
    Quoted for truth

2010 complete

Personally, I think there should be an off topic forum, for those threads and comments that you are weeding through. It does get frustrating. If there is an off topic forum, then we can just avoid those threads, or cater to them as we feel inclined.
    You will also find an old timer that will bite your head off if you repeat a question, but just ignore it. It's the fastest way to get an answer.

If you want good answers by an experienced hike then put everybody on ignore except Jack Tarlin.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    If you want good answers by an experienced hike then put everybody on ignore except Jack Tarlin.
    Even Jack would not agree with this statement.

Images

Welcome to Whiteblaze.

As already mentioned, the best advice comes from the straight forward threads and / or from a handful of people.

I'd start a list for you, but I'm sure it would cause an eruption because someone would disagree.

Screw it...Add your own name to the list if I forget you
    Sgt Rock, Mags, Marta, LW, Blissful, Sly, Skids, Smoky Mtn Steve, Ed Bell, Kerosene, TOF, HOI, Just Jeff, Tipi (except for UL), Bearpaw, Phreak, PeterPan, Rockhound, Ron Haven, Sarbar...
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    What ever!

Or, you could just save your question, put on your hiking dud's, go hiking and figure it out for your self. Then you'd know what works best you.

I just visit this site for entertainment because some of this stuff is really funny.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++