WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default An idea on how to "yogi" more effectively...

This is from a circa-2001 book today about the writer's AT thru-hike, called "Walking Home" by Kelly Winters. Note that she recounts having been constantly obsessed by food while doing her thru-; she was not really heavy before hitting Springer, and lost considerable weight over the course of the Trail, even with frequent complete gluttony. She saw T-shirts for sale in a near-AT outfitter's shop in North Carolina (I think) that carried this inscription:

"Please feed the hungry hiker"

I personally would consider making that "Please feed the hungry thru-hiker", were I to ever do that. Comments, please on 1) the ethics and tastefulness, and 2) likely effectiveness from such a shirt.

Registered Troll
    Images

"Please feed Jumble Jowls "

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

I have one of those "Please feed the hiker" t-shirts...from 2000 season
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Default So, smoky...

How much do you think your T-shirt has gotten you extra food from weekenders/campers/etc.?

Images

NO...not at all...being a veggie-tarin and health food nut I don't eat or drink most of that stuff anyway.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Default Smoky...

Are you saying that vegetarians don't go camping or hiking on the weekends? Or, are you saying that they don't share their food as generously as do omnivores?

Images

I'm saying that most trail magic is not veggie-tarin,,,people have soft drinks and such,,,and I don't as a habit want any of that.

Default So, it sounds like...

If I ever go do any "Trail Angel" stuff, I should bring green tea, fruit juice, whole-grained/vegetarian dishes, etc., as those are in the shortest supply, then.

Images

orange juice and bananas is what i take...

but most hikers will eat anything.

Almost any hiker will take fresh fruit or fruit juices. Vegan or carnivore!

Default Uh, hikerltwt...

Methinks you meant "Vegan or omnivore". Not too many people on the AT or anywhere else outside the rural Arctic that eat almost exclusively meat, I would think.

American Idiot
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith

"Please feed the hungry hiker"

Comments, please on 1) the ethics and tastefulness, and 2) likely effectiveness from such a shirt.
    Put a pair of female breasts behind that shirt, accompanied with a smile and I'd say that'd be VERY effective. Whether there's a physical attraction thing or not (though sex sells, so to speak), men are generally more accomodating to women. Since the majority of thru-hikers are men... Well, if you got it, work it

++ New Posts ++