WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Weather and hiking

When planning a short hike (a couple of days to a week or so), how much does the weather play a factor in whether you hike or not? Or do you just change out your gear to deal with the weather you might be dealing with and go ahead with the hike anyhow? I am not really talking about snow storms but more on the line of thunderstorms, rain, etc.

2010 complete

I typically pack the same regardless of the forecast. Be prepared for rain, heat, cold, etc. Now, when it comes to determining whether or not to hike, based on the forecast, I put myself in a thru hikers shoes and then just plod on.

Images

Since I only get a few days a year to hike the AT, and it's currently taking around nine hours (and increasing) to get there, I hike whether it's raining or not. Otherwise, it's no hike this year. Closer to home, since I've gotten soaked on the AT so many times, I wait for good weather.

Images

I carry the same gear (with seasonal changes) no matter what the weather is, but just last week I delayed hiking for a day due to the storms that were coming through the smokies. I don't mind hiking in the rain, but I hate to start in it.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Although I'm not an indian, I do an anti-rain dance. It rained like hell on my last hike so I have to work on the dance some more.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If that is your time to do your section hike, do it. Thunderstorms are mostly hit and miss anyway. It was scheduled to rain on my last section, had one day of really foggy weather with maybe a 15 minute rain shower. It rained the 2 nights while we were in the shelter. You never know.

Now for a weekend hike, I might look to see how the weather is shaping up.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Although I'm not an indian, I do an anti-rain dance. It rained like hell on my last hike so I have to work on the dance some more.
    That's funny. When we went through basic training our platoon commander had us all pray for rain, not the other way around. I always find runs and hikes go alot better in the rain. Perhaps you've got the wrong dance. lol

Images

One of the things I love about hiking is that weather becomes real, not something to be watched at 6:00 on the News. It affects you, whether it's heat or cold or rain or clear. You feel it, and it is a very intimate part of your environment. So I don't go because the 'weather is good' or stay away because it's bad. I just go, and like the different flowers or views, what happens becomes part of the trip itself. Yeah, it will affect the gear I bring, but there isn't much I haven't hiked or slept through on the trail. All of it wonderful.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

I have trouble sometimes convincing my wife to let me take my daughter on dayhikes in the rain. I tell her it will be good for her, toughen her up, but you know how mother's can be. My mother always threw us outside though, whether it was raining or not. Maybe because she was from Scotland and that's pretty much the norm there.

I can see being more weather cautious when going up mountains though. Otherwise I just pack for the climate extreme, not for the weather forecast, and go whenever I can go regardless of weather. I keep an eye on the weather to know what's going on, but I've never sat out a rain or snow. I always hike through it. Especially when hiking alone it just makes the run or hike more tranquil.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Since I only get a few days a year to hike the AT, and it's currently taking around nine hours (and increasing) to get there, I hike whether it's raining or not. Otherwise, it's no hike this year. Closer to home, since I've gotten soaked on the AT so many times, I wait for good weather.
    I will admit that I started out at Wilcat, NH in a thunderstorm last year because I had driven 17 hours one way the night before. It was not the smartest thing, and it was the grace of God that my kids were not left orphans.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    I typically pack the same regardless of the forecast. Be prepared for rain, heat, cold, etc. Now, when it comes to determining whether or not to hike, based on the forecast, I put myself in a thru hikers shoes and then just plod on.
    About the same for me. In New England & Adirondack Mountains, the forecast isn't much good beyond a day anyhow. If you put off a hike due to a bad forecast, chances are the weather will be beautiful. If you hike based on a great forecast, chances are you'll be disappointed.

The weather will be what the weather will be. Go hike, and enjoy the variety.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Plod on. Started a hike in Sept and did the first 10 hours in the rain.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Default This may sound strange but.....

The weather is more of a problem before you leave home than it is after you're out in it. You get aclimated to it after a few days and just not worry about it thereafter. The only problem I have with it is that I just cannot make myself set up my tent when it is raining hard or when the ground is wet and soggy. If it's dry when I set the tent up and it rains during the night I don't mind. But on really rainy days I just stay in a shelter even though I know I will get very little sleep.

++ New Posts ++