WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Question Mount.Washington

Other than weather wise anything you guys can tell me about hiking/climbing? it
    Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Images

I mean from personal Exp. not things i can look up..
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

I did it a while ago...but it didn't strike me as anything special. It didn't seem very tough and the hut (or should i say "mall") at the top was pretty much a buzz kill...you bust your butt getting to the top and then you look across the way and there's a group of people who haven't dropped a bead of sweat hopping off the Cogg Railway. The summit was kind of like a giant picnic area that just about anyone can get too. Personally, i like a quiet atmosphere that makes me feel at least a bit separated from society. The hike itself wasn't very interesting either...it got really repetitive and straight forward. It's nice to get to the highest point on the east coast and all but, for me, it didn't feel like much of an accomplishment probably because of the touristy atmosphere at the summit.

I wouldn't say it's not worth it but I'd recommend another mountain in the presidential range first (but that's just me). Personally (and i stress "personally") it's something you'd wanna do "just to have done it" but I wouldn't expect anything crazy.

Images

If the weather is foul, consider changing your route and going lower. Otherwise, it's very straightforward. Enjoy the snack bar at the top, snap a picture on the little pile of rocks signed as the official summit, and move on. Avoid the traffic from the parking lot and the cog railway on your way out.

And if you want to climb the highest mountain east of the Mississippi, head to Mount Mitchell, NC. It too has a road all the way to the top.

For the highest mountain on the AT, hit the TN/NC border in GSMNP at Clingman's Dome. There's no road to the top, just a paved 1/2-mile walkway down the the parking lot below.

Accept it. If it's a 6000-foot mountain in the east, somebody has probably paved the way to it.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Default huntington

try the huntington ravine trail if you are in decent shape. It's a lot more technical and a lot more fun than going up tucks.

Smith Gap, Pennsylvania - SEE your (The AT Guide) for more information

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanhkr23 View Post
    Other than weather wise anything you guys can tell me about hiking/climbing? it
    YOU might die there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Mechanical Man View Post
    YOU might die there.
    Interesting stat posted on this site stated: In 1996 more people died on Mt Washington than on Mt Everest! Probably shouldn't under estimate the endeavor!

Images

I agree with npoles91, try the other presidentials -- I really like Mt. Adams and Jefferson.

Images

yeah i've heard alot of horror stories about washington,i went up on the cog railway,and drove it just to realize on the way down i need new break pads,Hows the presidentials around this time? Im not going to be carrying much,i just weeded out some stuff these last couple days hiking in Ct and such.
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Make sure when you get there to stop in front of the live cam at the observatory. Take a sign with your trailname and let us know ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by World-Wide View Post
    Interesting stat posted on this site stated: In 1996 more people died on Mt Washington than on Mt Everest! Probably shouldn't under estimate the endeavor!
    That's true simply because of accessibility to the mountain and some of the idiots that try and go climb up it. Let's climb Mt. Washington with 3 kids, in jeans,starting at about 11:30 am. In October.

Usually the people climbing Everest have much more experience and die because of the extreme altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    This list includes a thru-hiker with a trail name of Harley. Be prepared for the worst, and hope for the best.

2010 complete

alaskan23, I truly think that you should wait until you hike more of the AT before you try this hike. I had 70mph winds and snow in August. The winds were slamming me to the ground. It was one of the hardest things that I have ever done in my life. I will say, that once the skies cleared, it was an awesome sight.
    Definately will take you longer to hike than what you think. Strongly recommend staying at "lake of the Crowds" hut for safety reasons. $100 stay.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

This goes for the high peak of many states: unless you like crowds, avoid it. I find climbing the surrounding peaks and looking at the local magnet from a distance more enjoyable than being there. Seems many, many people hike for the view from the top and little else, hence the summit crowd. I'm content with more intimate views.

Images

For the vicinity of Tuckerman's Ravine on Mt. Washington, it's still winter mountaineering.
    ICEFALL will continue to be a significant issue
    The Lion Head Summer Trail is now open. It has a section where it traverses steep snow where an ice axe and crampons are recommended for safe travel.
    http://www.tuckerman.org/avalanche/
    Other places are not so bad. Check trip reports on http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/
    For example, there is still some snow on the trails to the Franconia Ridge http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forum...ad.php?t=30028
    It'll be OK most places soon.

Don't worry about Presidentials in the summer. It is dangerous above tree line because of the weather extremes, but this can be dealt with. This means bring more warm clothes (fleece, wool, synthetics) and rain gear than below tree line, check the weather forecast before you go up and be prepared to bail out if the weather is bad. The difference between 4000' elevation and above treeline in NH can be amazing. You can always mail extra gear home by the time you're though the Whites.

On one early September hike up Mt. Jefferson, the weather was beautiful, 70degrees, when we got to the top, but I noticed that puddles in the shade were frozen solid. The Mt.Washington observatory said that night the temperature went to 10 and the wind over 100 mph.

I think the reason there are not more deaths of thru hikers is that by the time they reach the Presidentials they are extremely fit.

Images

I lived at the base sall all the Drama in 97 just dont tey an tackel this unless you are READY . But F it have a nice Hike.

2010 complete

Based on all Alaska's previous inquiries regarding the trail, I don't think that he is ready. He would be more ready if he would complete CT, MA, VT, and southern NH first. I don't think it should be one of his first hikes.

Images

I've been looking up mount washington,and i don't feel prepared for it,i've done some high climbs,But i also was in ALOT better shape,and had All my artic clothing ..So i've decided as of Tuesday morning im going to do VT,AT section or long trail what you guys think? which ones better?
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Images

I would go today but there's a freeze warning and i don't mind cold weather,i just dont wanna lug that kinda clothing for one night so...
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++