WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Section Hike

Default Section Hike

Well folks I've been in the process of planning my section hike this summer and since I'm not too familar with SNP I was wandering if anyone can throw me some advice or hints. I'm thinking about starting around Milam Gap and then I'll be heading north for a few days. I'm not too concerned where I'll be ending up because that can change accordingly,but so far I'm shooting for Bear's Den.

I guess my question is would this be a good starting point? For my first day I'm trying to keep my mileage around 10-12 miles,then after that it doesnt matter. If starting at Milam Gap would there be any good spots to camp for the night in the 10-12 mile range? Thanks in advance for any help folks.
    Komu pora,temu czas

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jo-To View Post
    Well folks I've been in the process of planning my section hike this summer and since I'm not too familar with SNP I was wandering if anyone can throw me some advice or hints. I'm thinking about starting around Milam Gap and then I'll be heading north for a few days. I'm not too concerned where I'll be ending up because that can change accordingly,but so far I'm shooting for Bear's Den.

I guess my question is would this be a good starting point? For my first day I'm trying to keep my mileage around 10-12 miles,then after that it doesnt matter. If starting at Milam Gap would there be any good spots to camp for the night in the 10-12 mile range? Thanks in advance for any help folks.

You'll be between shelters if you start at Milam Gap and want to do 10-12 miles. That should put you a little north of Skyland Resort. There are stealth sites (without a water source) in that area. Get your water at Skyland, then head north. When you get to where the AT makes an abrupt right and the blue-blaze goes straight ahead to Stony Man Cliffs, start looking to your right for some level ground.

Need more help? Visit www.mvshuttle.com. That site and the many links on its links page should keep you busy.

++ New Posts ++