WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cool Small dog carrying device

Hello all-

I just adopted a 10 year old blind and mostly deaf chihuahua 2 days ago from the Humane Society and I'd like to take him on some of my trips and show him a good time with the little time he has left. He doesn't "leash-walk" more than 5 steps at at time so I carry him mostly(he's a runt and he weighs about 10lbs max). Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations as far as slings or small packs go so I can carry him while hiking? Something I can still wear and carry him in the front if I'm wearing my backpack.

Pilgrim of Serendipity

The most popular carrying device for chihuahuas seems to be a purse.

It's fantastic that you want to take care of an old dog and show him a good time. But I wonder, how much of the trail will he experience if he's blind and mostly deaf? I suppose he can still smell. I'd think you would want to be careful, though, to protect him from heat, cold, and dehydration.

Ten years is actually not very old for a chihuahua... little dogs tend to live longer. Sounds like he got the shallow end of the gene pool.
    Deuteronomy 23:12-13 "Designate a place outside the camp where you can go to relieve yourself. As part of your equipment have something to dig with… dig a hole and cover up your excrement."

Haha, I've heard that joke about 5 times now, even from my mom

Yeah, I've noticed that he get's cold easily and I bought him a warm sweater and I plan on taking a fleece blanket too.

He might be the perfect camping dog- He's light, his supplies are light, he doesn't bark at all, he sticks to 10ft perimeter from wherever I am, his top speed is about 5 inches an hour, he doesn't potty in his "living area," and he sleeps a lot. I don't anticipate many problems and I wouldn't take him out on any really long hikes, just one nighters or a weekend.

Any input to the contrary is appreciated so don't hold back.

And yes, 10 isn't very old for one but I think he prematurely aged due to either living in a tiny box at the shelter since november or maybe his previous owners didn't take good care of him. He was also a stray so I don't know how long he was out on his own.

I had to check to see if this was a humor thread because I don't know anyone in their right mind that would subject an old impaired dog to the rigors of the trail to gratify their own 'needs'. Absolutely amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    I had to check to see if this was a humor thread because I don't know anyone in their right mind that would subject an old impaired dog to the rigors of the trail to gratify their own 'needs'. Absolutely amazing.
    Yeah, the rigors of being carried a mile or two and then hanging out at a campsite I suppose he could just stay in his tiny cage at the humane society....

My own needs... My need to carry a small dog? My need to keep constant attention on a small dog? The need to take a small dog that can't alert me to anything? Tell me, what are my needs.

My dog happens to be an old fhart too. Don't you think you'd like a little something different in your last months? If you have a specific concern, name it. I'm not in the mood for your usual **** act.

Check the childrens section, I use a small kids backpack for my chihuahua, she loves it and if I set it out on the bed she is in it ready to go. 10 yrs. is not old and he will enjoy the smells and sounds, Everyone tells me I'm nuts to hike with my dogs, I like them a h*ll of a lot better than most people and they give me more enjoyment . Paws and enjoy!!!

zoidfu-"Don't you think you'd like a little something different in your last months?"
    Sure, like being jostled in something smaller than a crate for the whole day, possibly in the rain. If you have any feelings for this dog, give up on this truly mindless plan. There are laws against animal cruelty. Start thinking of the dog and not just yourself.

Images

Old Fhart, this ain't a debate forum. You've said your piece, so now let it go, please.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    Sure, like being jostled in something smaller than a crate for the whole day, possibly in the rain. If you have any feelings for this dog, give up on this truly mindless plan. There are laws against animal cruelty. Start thinking of the dog and not just yourself.
    OMFG!!!!!!! Rain!!!! He might melt!!

He's still a dog, not a witch. He can get wet just like any other dog. In fact, he likes swimming and that's good because it's the only way I can think of to exercise him. I would dry him off and keep him warm just like someone would do with any other dog.

He happens to enjoy being carried like a baby(he realizes that he doesn't have a choice). I don't plan on jostling him. Ideally, I'd like a sling that I can also stabilize with one hand. You really think I'd just let him jackhammer my chest for hours on end? Are you drunk? This isn't my first or only dog.

I think you have the wrong idea about my trip plans with him. It won't be more than a half hour walk at my speed and I'd slow down if I have to. I don't plan on sectioning with him.
    Last edited by Two Speed; 05-20-2009 at 18:58. Reason: needed it

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Old Fhart, this ain't a debate forum. You've said your piece, so now let it go, please.
    Ehhhh, it's just old fhart being old fhart. I'm always up for a debate anyway.

Images

Zoidfu, it seems that sometimes your mere presence gets some folks dander up. You must be a really horrible guy, what with adopting the dog no one else wanted only to be accused of cruelty to animals for wanting to show the little guy a good time.

I applaud the sacrifice on your part.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu View Post
    Ehhhh, it's just old fhart being old fhart. I'm always up for a debate anyway.
    That's fine, but this forum ain't the place for a debate. Please read the sticky at the top of the forum.
    Last edited by Two Speed; 05-20-2009 at 18:58. Reason: fixing a cross post

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Zoidfu, it seems that sometimes your mere presence gets some folks dander up. You must be a really horrible guy, what with adopting the dog no one else wanted only to be accused of cruelty to animals for wanting to show the little guy a good time.

I applaud the sacrifice on your part.
    I think I'm going to rent a dunking booth for Trail Days next year. All proceeds will go to charity. I'm serious about this... but I'll have to piss off people for an entire year so there is a downside...

Images

Oh, you probably could have done that this year.

Just sayin'.

Good luck with the dog.

Images

Speaking of dogs my mutt is looking at me with the "don't we go for a walk at the park about now" look so I'm outta here for a while. Have fun, but don't splash too much, please.

Images

When our daughter was born we carried her around in a fabric sling that went over one shoulder and across the torso like a bandoleer. The fabric was wide enough that she fit completely inside if she wanted. It was easy to carry and use. Not sure what it was called.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

I suppose one of the is out of the question...

lol... the well mannered creature that god intended...

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    That's pretty sweet but I don't think he'd like to ride like that. He likes to lay on his back like a baby. Nice suggestion though

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++