WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

I really don't have a problem with the $5 fee, I just wish that I got something for my money other than un-needed over protection and a lumpy tent site in a hazzaedous waste dump. The police were very polite all weekend and trust me, I work hand in hand with them everyday as a paramedic and I do understand how difficult their job can be but they simply weren't needed in the quanities provided. I would much rather see the wages saved and put into improvements in the campground.
    Also if the ticketed cars were in a marked area instead of unmarked and no one knowing where and where not to park, then the outcome would have been more justified.

geek

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

i think there should be a 1 time fee for hikin' the A.T., say 500 bucks, then you can hike it as much as you want.
    by the way, i'm havin' a party this summer, it'll be 1 week long, just send me 500 bucks and you can come and stay for the week. of course we'll have police security finger printin you and a thorough background check after you've paid the admission fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    I really don't have a problem with the $5 fee, I just wish that I got something for my money other than un-needed over protection and a lumpy tent site in a hazzaedous waste dump. The police were very polite all weekend and trust me, I work hand in hand with them everyday as a paramedic and I do understand how difficult their job can be but they simply weren't needed in the quanities provided. I would much rather see the wages saved and put into improvements in the campground.
    Also if the ticketed cars were in a marked area instead of unmarked and no one knowing where and where not to park, then the outcome would have been more justified.

geek
    sounds like you need to stay elsewhere if you come next year. i'm assuming you didn't use a porta-john or the flush toilets and shower or throw trash in a dumpster

There are alternatives. I stay in Abingdon for a little over $100 a night with lots of good restaurants in the area. The tv has Animal Planet 24/7. Just sayen...

$100 a night? you got taken

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    There are alternatives. I stay in Abingdon for a little over $100 a night with lots of good restaurants in the area. The tv has Animal Planet 24/7. Just sayen...

I was with a hiking friend who has experience with Trail Days and we stayed in Abingdon. I don't understand why you had to pay so much for a motel room. Days inn was very inexpensive and the rooms were very nice.
    If I come again, it would be nice to stay at a B&B in Damascus, but they fill up very quickly. You might want to call around next time and get a better rate.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams
    Thoreau

$ !0 to park to see a " FREE " art show.......IS THIS NEW YORK ?
    Larry Luxenberg and I intended to see the art show across the road from the entrance to the encampment UNTIL we discovered the un-advertised cost of parking ! ( ----and he's from New York and thought it was an OUTRAGE ! ) .
    A far , far CRY from the days of tenting - by - river ....we were run out of there because of " money in the eyes " of the Old Mill developers ---see where that place is now ? DEFUNCT & OUT OF BUSINESS. .....MAYBE A LESSON HERE DAMASCUS .
    ---Red Wolf o'da Smoky's

Quote Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
    $ !0 to park to see a " FREE " art show.......IS THIS NEW YORK ?
    Larry Luxenberg and I intended to see the art show across the road from the entrance to the encampment UNTIL we discovered the un-advertised cost of parking ! ( ----and he's from New York and thought it was an OUTRAGE ! ) .
    A far , far CRY from the days of tenting - by - river ....we were run out of there because of " money in the eyes " of the Old Mill developers ---see where that place is now ? DEFUNCT & OUT OF BUSINESS. .....MAYBE A LESSON HERE DAMASCUS .
    ---Red Wolf o'da Smoky's
    the art show and the parking had nothing to do with each other. the $10 parking fee was for anyone regardless if they were there to see the show. you could have taken the shuttle bus for free to the show.

nobody was "run out" of the river area because of "money in the eyes" of developers. Trail Days has grown too large for any tenting down by the river. fact. pure and simple.

things and times change. you and everyone else need to deal with it or stop coming to Damascus for Trail Days

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    $100 a night? you got taken

Motel rooms near Exit 19 off I-81 in Abingdon were going for around $40 or $50 earlier in the week. But Friday 5/15 and Saturday 5/16 prices were nearly doubled at some motels. Supply and demand.

With tax it is indeed possible one could have paid about $100 for a room on 5/15 and 5/16 at Abingdon. That would have been the norm, tho I agree there were some motels that would have been cheaper.

yall weird. wolf good. heart straining. him not like evil cheapys.best you park and pay me thinks. and if you really still need to be weird. why not protest and pay with two two dollar bills and a one taped together. or . simularryly, pennies make your point well that you are a cop hater. and lets not forget the all important gate crash. do it! then you can wreasle with a cop of your choice. me? ill pay with a fin and then help clean up. in between standin around with wolf playin"yep/nope" who gets to maine.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
    ---Red Wolf o'da Smoky's
    Dennis & Mary were good folks who got taken & run out of town. Damascus is poorer as a result - in my opinion.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    Dennis & Mary were good folks who got taken & run out of town.
    THAT is nowhere near the truth. mary was good

Stayed outta this one til now.

Regarding Dennis being "run out of town", Mowgli is extraordinarily ill-informed.

Regarding the people complaining about excessive costs at Trail Days, well Miss Janet has made some valid points: The cost of the festival should be shared more equally, i.e., not just the overnighting hikers should pay for it. And there should absolutely be more understanding ahead of time by all the law enforcement folks as to what constitutes legal parking. There should certainly be more signage so that folks have a better idea of where it is illegal to park. The folks who said there need to be better services (i.e. more showers, hot water, etc.) have made good arguments.

Lastly, tho, two things: There's nothing wrong with charging fees to attend Trail Days.....it costs a lot of money to run this thing, and folks need to realize this, especially those who somehow manage to spend all sorts of money each year on beer. And a lot of the complainers would do better if they tried to contact Damascus folks (with letters, etc.) or better yet, if they tried to actually sit in on Trail Days planning meetings well before the event. Venting on the Internet makes people feel better for a few minutes, but in terms of actually accomplishing anything concrete, it's pretty much a waste of time.

THAT is nowhere near the truth. mary was good
    Whatever. But the Hobo crowd which you were a part of had an orchestrated campaign against the Old Mill. That's a fact.

Whatever. But the Hobo crowd which you were a part of had an orchestrated campaign against the Old Mill. That's a fact.
    huh? explain that one. what orchestrated campaign? i'm friends with dennis's partner still to this day. you're FOS

huh? explain that one. what orchestrated campaign? i'm friends with dennis's partner still to this day. you're FOS
    I will admit that I don't have the whole story, but I am not imagining that there was lots of complaining about what happened at the Old Mill online. Folks saying that they wouldn't patronize the place because it was too fancy for Damascus. Ruined the camping. And on & on. I am not imagining that. Not one bit. And you know it.
    Last edited by MOWGLI; 05-22-2009 at 17:40.

I will admit that I prolly don't have the whole story, but I am not imagining that there was lots of complaining about what happened at the Old Mill online. Folks saying that they wouldn't patronize the place because it was too fancy for Damascus. Ruined the camping. And on & on. I am not imagining that. Not one bit. And you know it.
    i spent a lot of time and money in the place from the start. i really have no idea what the hell you're talkin' about. post some links or shut up

i spent a lot of time and money in the place from the start. i really have no idea what the hell you're talkin' about. post some links or shut up
    OK. I'll shut up.

sounds like you need to stay elsewhere if you come next year. i'm assuming you didn't use a porta-john or the flush toilets and shower or throw trash in a dumpster
    Actually I did use a porta john once but no flush toilet, shower or dumpster. I love camping in tent city, I just think that it can be better.

geek

It's not often you see "Hobo crowd" and "orchestrated" in the same sentence.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++