WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lone Wolf View Post
    sly. Please Go Get Some Tests Done
    Like Now Sly!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    just 50% this year are freeloaders at least from bob peoples prospective. he said only half the hikers left the measly $4 in his box this year. they needed to save the $$$ for beer in damascus

Well now lets look at that from another perspective. If I know Bob right, and this is just from past experience, Bob has a tendency to tell some don't worry about it. And when hikers don't worry about it then.........?

I did a little experiment here at my place with the donation thing during TD's, on Saturday I placed a note so those who were using the phone saw that I needed money. The money started flowing into the bucket. I took the note away and the money slowly slowed back to its original flow, but it took 2-3 days to get there and I had only left the note up for about six hours.

you offer a free phone with unlimited free long distance. why ask for money?

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    him not like evil cheapys
    Can I make a bumper sticker using that one. You're kind of like the Plato of the hiking world.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    Can I make a bumper sticker using that one. You're kind of like the Plato of the hiking world.
    Can you imagine the market for Matty's words of wisdom? Cafepress here we come.
    "If I get started in the right direction, I just might get to where I want to go." -- Tab Benoit

Journal Entries
    Images

Why not ask for a donations? I can tell you one thing, no matter how much money goes into the bucket it will never be enough in one month to cover even the cost of the unlimited phone service, never has anyway.

I collected about $55.00 over Trail Day's, so I gave that to Taba for Little Debbies and then the remainder of the fifteen I matched and bought more snacks at Food City. In case you do not believe me you can ask Carmen down there. And I give all those snacks to those who come and use the phone.

Journal Entries
    Images

and by the way your statement should read "you offer free use of a phone with unlimited long distance"

there is no free unlimited long distance......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Trying. I did quit smoking for a month but slipped the past two days. Back to no smoking later tonight.
    all hospitals have charity care (depending on income). find a free clinic and get referrals. i did. was surprised what they found. nothing major, but i do sleep better knowing. take care of yourself, there are trails waiting for ya.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Sly. please go get some tests done
    =============================

Sly ...listen to Wolf and the others - - GET SOME TESTS DONE. The last thing you need to do is set out hiking to see if you can do any better than yesterday. Take an hour off and get evalulated.

Best case scenario is that it's nothing at all. But you're way ahead of game if it is something and you catch it ahead of time.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I've taken many of the suggestions from this thread and posted them on the Trail Days website, this page:

http://www.traildays.us/09suggestions.html

If I've missed your suggestion or if you would like to add something, contact me directly, grsmith07 @ gmail.com (remove the spaces). Thanks to everyone who made recommendations for next year. We're doing a review meeting in about two weeks and if anyone is in town you are invited.

Quote Originally Posted by bpitt View Post
    Bpitt quickly steps into the foray to shout out 'thanks' for recognizing the local churches! Woot!
    is it just me that understands what NO DOGS on property means? to most hikers with dogs it means something else totally. the disrespect for the church and their rules continue.....

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    =============================

Sly ...listen to Wolf and the others - - GET SOME TESTS DONE. The last thing you need to do is set out hiking to see if you can do any better than yesterday. Take an hour off and get evalulated.

Best case scenario is that it's nothing at all. But you're way ahead of game if it is something and you catch it ahead of time.

'Slogger
    Yeah, I'm going to blow off any backpacking for a bit to head up north to visit family and friends in MA. While I'm up there I'll try to work the system.

I appreciate the concern from y'all in public and private.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Yeah, I'm going to blow off any backpacking for a bit to head up north to visit family and friends in MA. While I'm up there I'll try to work the system.

I appreciate the concern from y'all in public and private.
    Put out the cigarette and eat a salad!
    see ya up north!!
    soon

I still wonder why on earth people flock to a caged-in, unattractive campground that you have to pay to camp in and pay for, especially when there is so many wonderful, free campsites within a 10-15 minute drive away.
    Thanks to all the hikers who attended the TD contra dance this year. You did 'mighty-fine'.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle View Post
    I still wonder why on earth people flock to a caged-in, unattractive campground that you have to pay to camp in and pay for, especially when there is so many wonderful, free campsites within a 10-15 minute drive away.
    Thanks to all the hikers who attended the TD contra dance this year. You did 'mighty-fine'.
    Thanks to Warren for getting this thread back on topic.

Let's take a look at the past few years at Trail Days from the above perspective:

From 2004:
    Will this be the year that Trail Days finally implodes?

I agree with most of Peaks posting. I have attended/participated in every Trail Days since the second year. I have seen and heard about hiker misbehavior on an increasing basis. Hikers who are not into the 'party' scene have stopped going to Trail Days. After walking through the campground on Sunday morning last year, the scene was not impressive. Sort of like 'the lost generation'.

From 2005:
    Campsites: 'trashed' means broken bottles; spray painted trees/rocks; discarded clothing; used condoms/diapers/toilet paper; beer cans; a lot of garbage lying around; discarded equipment; broken floors,sides, roofs of shelters; demolished privies; certain years on Sunday morning at the 'tannery' campground during Damascus Trail Days.

From 2006:
    You asked what I would change:

1) I would make it a non-alcohol, drug-free event in public places including the campground. There are now other informal groups that can sponsor their own 'hiker parties' somewhere and sometime else. Let them assume the liability if they feel that it is so important to imbibe alcohol and drugs to heighten their hiker fellowship.

From 2007:
    Damascus Trail Days will eventually implode. I'm surprised it has lasted this long. It definitely is going in a different direction then its founders intended it to be in 1987.

Many non-partier hikers avoid TD now with stories of theft, rampant alcohol use, profanity, drugs and nudity in the toxic-waste, fenced-in campground; nudity and profanity in the talent show . . .

From 2008:
    (1) Why would anyone stay in a fenced-in, crowded, not-free, toxic waste site campground with all those beautiful free campsites just outside of town?

There are some quality, informative programs at Traildays but they won't be at the 'campground'.

(2) I can't understand why so many hikers feel that the fenced-in, entrance fee campground is the only choice.

As of this date Trail Days has yet to "implode" and those who choose to stay in the campground don't seem to mind that there are those who don't understand why they might choose to stay there.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle View Post
    We make it more attractive. $15 to stay for three nights with new and old friends is fine with me.

Journal Entries
    Images

Weel if Appalachian Power has their way with a new rate increase next years trail days is probably going to cost you twenty....

not many people that hike feel they deserve the title of "Friendliest Trail Town". I know a lot of people that I am currently hiking with that did not go back and will not go because of the unwarranted police enforcement.
    I have heard the same thing from the majority of hikers I have spoken to in Duncannon.
    I am not supporting their view because I do not see what the town is like on a regular basis. So I can't say one way or the other. But the majority are saying that Damascus has changed drastically.
    I enjoyed trail days and hope to always attend the event and support the town as I am able. However, I did notice that the police presence was obviously increased and obviously stricter. I tried to be friendly but they were not.

damascus has not changed drastically.. what little change there is has been for the better. hiker attitudes/behavior have changed drastically for the worse.

Journal Entries
    Images

I only heard a very small percentage of hikers griping about the police, however most that I talked to did say the police were ever present and that they did not have a problem with it.

Anyway something was going to have to change sooner or later because the party was going to get out of hand eventually, and in some eyes the party had already gotten out of hand.

And the hikers are not the only ones feeling the heat here, there are some locals feeling the heat as well and then there are a lot of locals that notice the police presence but welcome it.

Those here like myself who enjoy giving to hikers and bikers that traverse through here want to remain friendly. However we at times have to put up with some bad apples from out of control people and I myself have gotten tired of it.

During TD's I had to ask people that were returning back to their respective resting places after Dots closed to keep it down as they walked past my house and remind them that it it was late and that people were in bed. 98% of them complied and most apologized but there were about three that said for me to go "F" myself and that was out of only one group and that kind of behavior puts a bad taste in your mouth.

I know of a hiker that got stolen from after TD's had ended on Sunday but the thief was caught immediately, but I got stolen from as well on Saturday. It could have been from a hiker or most likely from someone just stopping in during the festivity. I had ten pocket knives stolen and I hardly ever get stolen from at all here.

I think our police department is doing a great job and they cannot or they will not distinguish between hiker or local. So don't feel like just because you are a part of a event that you are being targeted because that is not the case. Everyone is being targeted here. I even got one in my house that is being watched but being the eighteen year old that he is he has the attitude that most of his elders are stupid and that includes the police. And I hope he feels the heat so much that he keeps staying on track.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
++ New Posts ++