WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Time to Play, Summer 09

So this is the time of year that alot of us actually get out and hike and travel. I am trying to think of where to go next both short term and long term. Id like to start a discussion about what alot of us will be doing with in the coming months. Alot will be doing section hikes of many trails or travelling to other really cool places. So share your plans for play time this summer. Where ya goin? Whatcha doin? Who's goin? How long ya goin? Did you take any pictures? Share a link. I hope everyone enjoys there spring and summer. Make sure you get out and hike. And remember to thank your maintainers, volunteers, trail clubs, and fellow hikers this summer by packing out your trash and any you see this summer! It was shown in Damascus this past weekend that hikers can be respectful of other places and leave it clean!

extra-ordinary hiker Roughin' It's Avatar

hiking through Shenandoah National Park starting next week. planning on making it a week long trip. Going with 3 other people i think..
    Other than that I will just have to settle on dayhikes and weekend hikes in between traveling to different places for weddings.
    Not only is summer adventure season, it's also wedding season!

Images

Cool My summer vacation

I'm going to Iceland for 3 weeks. I plan to hike the Laugavegur Trail, dayhikes in Skaftafell NP (no backcounty allowed), maybe a few days on the Reykjanes Pennisula (1000+ year old trail!) and spend a few days in the Hornstrandir (no roads, no permanent residents, dropped off by ferry) region of the Westfjords - 2800 ft sheer drop to the sea!

I'm also driving out west and plan to do a few small hikes (2-5 days) in WY and WA (Olympic NP) and wherever else I have time to go.

I can't wait! See Iceland pics below.

Note the tiny hikers in pic 2.

P.S. Thanks for asking, Chaco.
    If you're in a hurry, why are you walking?

Images

Exclamation Disclaimer

P.P.S. Not my pics.

Quote Originally Posted by fancyfeet View Post
    I'm going to Iceland for 3 weeks. I plan to hike the Laugavegur Trail, dayhikes in Skaftafell NP (no backcounty allowed), maybe a few days on the Reykjanes Pennisula (1000+ year old trail!) and spend a few days in the Hornstrandir (no roads, no permanent residents, dropped off by ferry) region of the Westfjords - 2800 ft sheer drop to the sea!

I'm also driving out west and plan to do a few small hikes (2-5 days) in WY and WA (Olympic NP) and wherever else I have time to go.

I can't wait! See Iceland pics below.

Note the tiny hikers in pic 2.

P.S. Thanks for asking, Chaco.
    Awesome pics, Im jealous.

SO I forgot to say what Team Chacopak will be doing this spring/summer. July we are going to Marvins Mountaintop, WVA for the Allgood Music Festival. Should be a great time! Lookin at some days to go on a hike and would really like to venture off the AT. Thinkin about the BMT or a loop trail in the Smokies. Would really like to take advantage of the Park this time of year

Just going to get out when I can where ever I can around my home. Day hikes in the Delaware Water Gap NP and over nighters on the AT in NJ. This weekend I am going to hike south from Rt. 23 at High Point to the first shelter and try out my new Hennessy Hammock I bought at Trail Days. I can't think of the name of the shelter. I've been going there for 30 years you would think it would have sunk in by now. On the wild chance someone reads this and is there too give a wave! Go back BEHIND the shelter a hundred feet or so and there are a ton of nice grassy spots for tenting and also plenty of trees for hanging.

In the third week in June and also the second week in September I will be staying at Lake Eaton Campground in the central Adirondacks. Site 52. We tend to just sleep there. I just it as a base camp to visit the surrounding areas. I love the Adirondacks and hope to move there someday.

Take care,
    Al
    http://www.radio-outdoors.com Ham Radio and the outdoors. Perfect together!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Well we're headed to Utah and the western states in a little over two weeks starting early June, yeah! Gonna do day hikes in Bryce and Arches with a raft trip in Moab, then on to Lassen Peak, Crater Lake (depending on snow), Rainier, among other things. Maybe get that vision for the PCT one day.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I plan to hike from Damascus to Harpers Ferry, my frirst AT hike. I have scheduled about 7 weeks for this hike stating early June.
    The hike is to be followed with a week on the Colorado Trail early August. I will hike from Molas to Durango, this is the section that did not complete in 2007.
    For those who are interested I have a Trailjournal on Trailjournals.com.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'm very excited that my wife is going to go on her first overnight hike with me next month. We're going to hike from Pen Mar park to Harper's Ferry.

Ordered her pack today!

Other than that, I might try to knock out some of the AT in PA in July.

Images

Cool Have fun, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Awesome pics, Im jealous.

SO I forgot to say what Team Chacopak will be doing this spring/summer. July we are going to Marvins Mountaintop, WVA for the Allgood Music Festival. Should be a great time! Lookin at some days to go on a hike and would really like to venture off the AT. Thinkin about the BMT or a loop trail in the Smokies. Would really like to take advantage of the Park this time of year
    Thanks, Chaco. You two have fun!

Everyone's trips sound awesome. Get out there and have fun.

I'd like to host a "Parade of Fools" sometime around my birthday (Jul 22) to visit Peanut (thruhiked in '08 with Wrongway). A short hike on the Long Trail over Mt. Mansfield (highest in Vt.) and possibly a little more.
    I also plan on finishing New York and most or all of New Jersey by fall.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

My girlfriend, the dogs, and myself are going to Assateague in two weeks and Nantahala in August with plenty in between.

I leaving soon for Munich, Germany for a couple of weeks on business. I have at least 4 days that I plan to do some day hiking in Bavaria and Austria. Have a White Mountain section hike planned for the end of June and Katahdin in September.

Images

I have signed up for this:

http://www.ncsports.org/cncevent1.php

I will be spending a lot of time on a bike for the next few months.

And some friends are moving to Costa Rica next week. They have a guest cottage...
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I, along with others, are going to the AT Conference in Rutland in July and hiking south after it is over. We will probably go to Bennington and then head home. Lots of other local stuff.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Leaving on July 22 for Katahdin and plan on hiking south to Glencliff.

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

I'm going on a dayhike around Roan Mountain next Tuesday, then I'm going "aqua-blazing" next Wednesday on an overnight whitewater canoe trip on the Chatooga River......great place for a steak over the fire and a good pinot noir!

Images

Well, not hiking, but going to spend a week in the keys sailing with my Scouts in mid June.

Then, working in Maine the last week of June and plan on a day hike up Katahdin.

Then, taking my Scouts on an AT hike the first week of August from Roan High Knob to the Kinkora hostel and then rafting in WVA over the end weekend.

What a great summer.

Alot more car camping and dayhiking w/ the kiddos, but will still try to get in a overnight trip or 2.
    Car camping: This weekend Oak Mtn SP AL
    June 7-11 Grayton Beach SP FL
    July 10-12 Shawnnee SP OH

Backpacking:
    June 17-20 Sipsey Wilderness
    Sept? AT Amicalola SP to Neels Gap
    OCt 2-4 AT Devils Fork Gap to Erwin

Finnish all of Mass and VT on the weekends, and spend a week of august dayhiking in Yellowstone
    Adventure is the invitation to the common person, to become uncommon. ~ wm
    Bivouac is a French word for "mistake". ~ Ed Viesturs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++