WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Thanks to the vets

I'm not a veteran but I'm thankful to those who are. My dad was a WW II vet. He served in General Patton's 3rd Army. He was a messenger. He said he spent most of the war driving around lost, trying to make sense out of French and German maps while taking messages wherever he was told to go. Over the course of the war, he was in Iceland, France, Norway, and Germany. He died two years ago.

Not many WW II vets around anymore. If you want to read a good book, pick up a copy of "The Greatest Generation" by Peter Jennings. He talked to a lot of WW II vets and wrote down what they said.

I put this in the "other trails" forum because my dad said they did a lot of marching.

Anyway, thanks to all the veterans. You're service is appreciated. If it wasn't for those who gave their lives for us, we certainly wouldn't be the country we are today.

yes thanks to all the vets, currently serving, and all whom gave their life to keep us free!
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Anyway, thanks to all the veterans. You're service is appreciated. If it wasn't for those who gave their lives for us, we certainly wouldn't be the country we are today.
    Well, we'd be a similar country, but a lot of other countries wouldn't be the same countries they are today

I'm not a veteran but I'm thankful to those who are. My dad was a WW II vet. He served in General Patton's 3rd Army. He was a messenger. He said he spent most of the war driving around lost, trying to make sense out of French and German maps while taking messages wherever he was told to go. Over the course of the war, he was in Iceland, France, Norway, and Germany. He died two years ago.

Not many WW II vets around anymore. If you want to read a good book, pick up a copy of "The Greatest Generation" by Peter Jennings. He talked to a lot of WW II vets and wrote down what they said.

I put this in the "other trails" forum because my dad said they did a lot of marching.

I salute your Dad. BTW its Tom Brokaw wrote TGG
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Quote Originally Posted by mrc237 View Post
    I salute your Dad. BTW its Tom Brokaw wrote TGG
    My bad. I remember the title and content, but screwed up the author.

Images

My husband did 4 years in the Army as an enlisted man from 1975-1979. Then he went back to college, got his degree and got a commission in the Navy reserves. He served from 1984 - 2006 one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year until he retired as a Commander. We have never never regretted a day of his service (and keep in mind - "they also serve who sit and wait"). We were able to travel Europe, and live in Berlin Germany before the wall came down. We had adventures and travel experiences that few in our age group have had. He served at the Pentagon during 9/11 and would have gone to the Middle East with all due desire to serve the country had he been called to do so. God Bless our troops and sailors. We pray for them every night at dinner.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

You're welcome.
    First things first!

One-time Rights, hard copy and Internet. All Rights revert to author.

Images

Appreciate the thread!! Hooah

++ New Posts ++