WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Backing Back into Backpacking
    Images

Default Parking at Thorton Gap

Got a group of friends planning a hike in SNP in a few weeks. We plan to end the hike at Thorton Gap. Where is the best place to park a car in that area? I seem to remember reading that parking was closed or something in that area?
    The key to success in achieving a goal is focusing not on how far you have to go, but rather how far you have come.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Phil 4:13

Images

I parked in the lower parking lot for six days and had no problem. No cost as not in park. In the following picture my car can be seen as a tiny dot in middle of page. The AT is just a 1/4 mile down the road to the left. http://appalachianpages.com/gallery/...490&ppuser=137

The Panorama Restaurant that used to be at this location closed long ago, however parking lot should still be open and useable. There is also a water source and bathrooms as well. You can also get a required backcountry permit here.

I think that area is now a fenced-off construction site. I believe they are replacing the old panorama building with some other tourist trap.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I think that area is now a fenced-off construction site. I believe they are replacing the old panorama building with some other tourist trap.
    http://rohland.homedns.org/at/state/...&sectionID=136

Construction is complete, the parking lot & new rest rooms were open the beginning of May. Not sure about the rules on leaving a car overnight. Check with the park.
    Dogpaw (AKA J. Marshall)

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

PM Skyline for an update on this.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by jamarshall View Post
    Construction is complete, the parking lot & new rest rooms were open the beginning of May. Not sure about the rules on leaving a car overnight. Check with the park.
    What is there now?

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    What is there now?
    The construction is complete and contrary to what I heard there is nothing new there in the way of a tourist trap, just bathrooms and parking. Call (540) 999-3500 ext 0 for parking info. According to the operator, you can park overnight as long as you have a back country permit.

++ New Posts ++