WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Thru hiking with a GUITAR

I realize that 2-3 POUNDS for a luxury sounds like a ridiculous idea to entertain. However I'm thinking of bringing a light weight axe for my thru hike.

It would be worth it to me to bring this item; I would have to make room for it. And I'll probably attempt this regardless of outside opinion. I was just wondering if anyone has seen someone do this? I could imagine nothing better then sitting on a mountaintop and playing a little music

Please just leave it at home, your fellow hikers will thank you.

Registered User NativePennsylvanian's Avatar
    Images

Yeah I've seen it and other instruments on the AT. Just remember not everyone is as big a fan of your music as your are.

Default Sorry to be negative to your first post, but....

Quote Originally Posted by bisco Drew View Post
    I could imagine nothing better then sitting on a mountaintop and playing a little music
    I can, the peace, quiet and serenity of a mountaintop.
    Adventure is the invitation to the common person, to become uncommon. ~ wm
    Bivouac is a French word for "mistake". ~ Ed Viesturs

Images

what happens when you slip and fall and smash it to bits, I quess you could then used it as fire wood
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Registered User NativePennsylvanian's Avatar
    Images

yeah, just pack out those strings and frets. they won't burn

Don't do ****ing monty python **** either

Images

Claves are much easier to carry.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

2 spoons also work well or a harmonica
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Hiker Trash - Safety Squad! JokerJersey's Avatar
    Images

Quick story in relation to the comment about everyone not liking your music as much as you do...

Was out this past weekend on a hiking trip. First night we stayed at a site that had drive-in access. Camping right across from each other were a large group of latinos and a large group of college kids. One of the college kids had his acoustic guitar with him and brought it out later in the evening to play. His neighbors didn't like it. They proceeded to turn thier car stereos up louder to drown him out. He then proceeded to play louder, which in turn led to them turning up thier stereos even more. Eventually the situation dissolved into a shouting match and after about 20 minutes of this, someone got pissed enough to call the State Park Police, which wound up wrecking everyones fun.

Not saying the car stereo thing would happen on the AT, but the moral of the story remains the same. Getting into a fist fight because someone had a bad day and you wanted to play some tunes while they wanted to sleep isn't the way I'd want to end my day. And pissing someone off just so you can enjoy your own music isn't exactly a considerate thing to do.

I personally go out into the woods to get away from the noise and bustle of the modern world, not to go to an acoustic jam band festival. Some people won't mind. Others will. If you're respectful about it, I personally don't see a problem with it. If it's late and you're still out there jamming with your buddies though while others are trying to sleep...that's an a-hole move. Also, sound carries a long way at night, so just because you think you're alone doesn't mean you aren't bothering someone who is trying to sleep who is still within earshot.

As for the weight...HYOH. If you're willing to carry it, then carry it.
    Pyro - Bringin' the heat! '11 Safety Tribe firestarter

2011 - Springer to Pearisburg

Quote Originally Posted by bisco Drew View Post
    I realize that 2-3 POUNDS for a luxury sounds like a ridiculous idea to entertain. However I'm thinking of bringing a light weight axe for my thru hike.

It would be worth it to me to bring this item; I would have to make room for it. And I'll probably attempt this regardless of outside opinion. I was just wondering if anyone has seen someone do this? I could imagine nothing better then sitting on a mountaintop and playing a little music
    Yo Bisco, lots of hikers carry a guitar on their thru. Just be respectful of others at night. Dont let the comments prior to this make or break your decision. There are alot of instruments on the trail. Its just a matter of if you want to carry the extra weight. They make backpacking guitars. Heard lots of awesome jam sessions last year and really enjoyed it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o-SuRXwK5o

Hiker Trash - Safety Squad! JokerJersey's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Yo Bisco, lots of hikers carry a guitar on their thru. Just be respectful of others at night. Dont let the comments prior to this make or break your decision. There are alot of instruments on the trail. Its just a matter of if you want to carry the extra weight. They make backpacking guitars. Heard lots of awesome jam sessions last year and really enjoyed it.
    That's kinda what I was getting at. If you bring your guitar out and someone asks you to keep it down, completely ignoring them isn't cool. If you respect those around you, I doubt you'll have a problem and can enjoy your music anywhere you want, however you want.
    Pyro - Bringin' the heat! '11 Safety Tribe firestarter

2011 - Springer to Pearisburg

If you are a talented musician then by all means bring it. Before you go just have your talent verified by a few unbiased third parties. Having mastered "Smoke on the water" and "A horse with no name" does not qualify you as a talented musician.

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    Having mastered "Smoke on the water" and "A horse with no name" does not qualify you as a talented musician.
    or any freakin' Dead songs either

Default Silence is Golden

Rockhound's wrong. In my experience, EVERY hiker packing a guitar, harmonica, flute, mouth harp, drum, whatever, without exception fervently believes that they are extraordinarily talented musicians and that at day's end, everyone in camp is simply dying to hear them play and sing, and well into the night, too.

I heartily assure you that 99% of these people are mistaken on both counts.

I'm always wrong Jack. Everyone knows that. But if you'll notice I did say to get unbiased 3rd party opinions to verify ones talent. One of these days I just might surprise you and actually be right about something.

When it happens, Rock, I'll surely let you know.

But most Trail musicians are pretty awful, truth be told.

Trail instuments belong in the same place most Trail dogs do.

Which is at home, where other people don't have to deal with them.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    If you are a talented musician then by all means bring it. Before you go just have your talent verified by a few unbiased third parties. Having mastered "Smoke on the water" and "A horse with no name" does not qualify you as a talented musician.
    I can play the intro to Stairway to Heaven, does that qualify?

That's it. I'm takin' up the harmonica. Hope to see ya out there Jack.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++