WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Tarptent Rainbow

Hi - Looking for any experience or impressions regarding the Rainbow Tarptent. I'm thinkinig of switching out from a Eureka Spitfire...

Thank You

Speakeasy

Images

I have a Double Rainbow. I like it. Easy to set up, good ventilation, decent room for two and very spacious for one. It's not the lightest choice for a solo shelter (my tarp is much lighter), but the rain and bug protection is good.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I like it but it is a bit fiddly to put up. Single walled, you can expect some condensation in the right circumstances, and I find the bathtub floor tension a bit finicky. Having said that, it is very large inside. So far I am happy (but I have several tents)

I found it finicky to set up as well, especially keeping it taut. Weak in heavy winds, and you will get splash in during a hard rain. As FG said, condensation will be a real issue under specific circumstances... It is lite, but ultimately I have gone back to a double wall tent... A reliable shelter is worth the extra weigt for me...

Images

You can't go wrong w/ any Tarptent from Henry Shires. I own the Double Rainbow & love it.

Images

BTW, you can make the Rainbow & D.Rainbow a double wall by adding the mesh attachment to the ceiling. I assume Henry still sells that attachment.

Images

I have the Double Rainbow. I have used it on 9 or 10 nights now and only experienced condensation once, and everything was wet that morning. I have also used it during a very heavy thunderstorm at 4,500 feet on Gregory bald. There was a fine misting which others have noticed as well, but not enough for concern and it was a dry refuge from the storm. Overall I'd give mine 9 stars out of 10, but I've never been in love with any tent enough to give it a 10...
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Splash in during heavy rain from poor set up would be my only concern. Pick a good tent site and you should not have any problems.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I've owned the Rainbow for three years now and have spent at least 60 nights in it. I like it and would recommend it. You will need to seal it and instructions are included. Mine started leaking along the pole sleeve recently. I called Henry and he offered a suggestion for a quick fix and if that didn't work I could return it, that was after using it for two years. Apparently if you're not careful and allow the poles to separate and snap back together while in the pole sleeve they can nick the sleeve and allow leaks. Seam sealing the sleeve solved the problem. I've used the Rainbow in heavy rains and wind with no problems. You need to pitch it tightly and keep the sides down close to the ground in heavy rain and wind. Also you can raise the sides of the floor to the bathtub position for rain and lower for maximum ventilation.

I would be concerned if I were to encounter heavy winds.

There is A LOT of space inside. You can fit two regular width Therma-a-rests side by side in the single Rainbow.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Will View Post
    I would be concerned if I were to encounter heavy winds.

There is A LOT of space inside. You can fit two regular width Therma-a-rests side by side in the single Rainbow.
    I would second that. In fact, I have found the Hubba more wind worthy surprisingly (it must have to do with the end poles and how they angle out at about 45 degrees). However, one can set up trekking poles vertically at the front and back (there are grommets there) that can add to stability.

I should have also mentioned that it needs to be big inside because the vestibule is really quite small. I only put my boots in there and my pack goes inside.

Contrary to a few of the posts here I find the Rainbow to be extremely easy and fast to set up.
    I have used it for three years, about 25 weeks total. It does stand up well to strong winds, the worst I camped in was on Snow Mesa on the Co trail I don't know in mph what the winds were but they were strong with hail. In strong storms a little spray comes in but nothing to be concerned about. I can compare it directly to the Eureka Zeuss which I also used. It is every bit as storm worthy as the Eureka.
    People I have hiked with used Hilleberg and Black Diamond tents and I can say that the Rainbow performed just as well as these tents in the adverse weather that we experienced. The Rainbow was faster to erect than any of these tents and almost as fast as the Eureka Zeus (which in my experience is the fastest tent out there to errect).
    I carry a tent sponge and wipe off the condensation from the inside of the tent before getting up. Condensation on the whole is easy to manage.
    I have been very satisfied with mine, I have switched to a hammock this year and I hope I end up just as pleased with it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ive owned a Shires Rainbow for three years now. It has sheltered me over Vermont's LT twice, the JMT, and most recently a snowy 105 mile AT section hike from Davenport Gap to Erwin. Overall it has been a good tent. It's strong points are its light weight, roominess inside inside to accomodate a pack and boots (in this regard it is much larger than the Hubba), and ease of setup. Inside roof condensation has occured at times but has not been a major problem. The tent has stood up to strong winds admirably.
    On the negative side, the mesh directly above the bathtub floor will let in splash during a wind/rain event. In cooler temps wind coming in thru the mesh will chill you down. Over time if stored in low humidity the grommet strap used to secure the hub pole will shrink to the point the hub pole needs to be shortened (or Henry will put an adjustable buckle on it free of charge).
    I am considering a Double Rainbow because it would offer more dry area in the middle away from splash. Plus it is only 7 ounces more than the Rainbow.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RichardD View Post
    People I have hiked with used Hilleberg and Black Diamond tents and I can say that the Rainbow performed just as well as these tents in the adverse weather that we experienced.
    I own several tents - including a Hilleberg Akto. There is not way in heck that a Rainbow will stand up to the same conditions as the Akto. No chance in.....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garbanz View Post
    It's strong points are its light weight, roominess inside inside to accomodate a pack and boots (in this regard it is much larger than the Hubba), and ease of setup.
    I agree with most of your points except that the vestibule is 1/2 the size of a Hubba. So realistically, although you get less room inside with the Hubba, you don't have to bring your pack in with you. In bug free consitions, opening the door on both will net you the same overall covered space.

The Hubba can be set up in 45 seconds. Seriously. Don't get me wrong, I like the Rainbow, but it is not perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    I own several tents - including a Hilleberg Akto. There is not way in heck that a Rainbow will stand up to the same conditions as the Akto. No chance in.....

Agreed... There is one particular bluff on Grand Manan Island that I camp on often, and is known for high wind gusts of 80kms/h or more... I've had my double wall tents completely flatten out on me and then spring back up once the wind eases. That same spot, the tarptent double rainbow first completely flattened and then started flapping in the wind like a sheet on a clothes line... I had to exit the tent to re-erect it and secure it, and repeat all night long... Never again...

Hike smarter, not harder.

Are you guys who have trouble with the Rainbow in the wind using trekking poles, and the secondary guy-out lines?

My post said that in the conditions that "we experienced" the Rainbow stood up just as well as my hiking friends Hilleberg and Black Diamond. This included rather heavy thunderstorms with hail. I would not expect the Rainbow to do as well as these other tents in winter storms nor did I say it would.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RichardD View Post
    My post said that in the conditions that "we experienced" the Rainbow stood up just as well as my hiking friends Hilleberg and Black Diamond. This included rather heavy thunderstorms with hail. I would not expect the Rainbow to do as well as these other tents in winter storms nor did I say it would.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Thank you for all the good info. By the way, does anyone have any input as to how it compares to the Contrail?

Thank You

Speakeasy,
    (the hiker formerly known as Nrvana)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++