WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Hostel

Quote Originally Posted by wakapak View Post
    I didnt realize there was even a college there! The parts of town I saw didn't seem too hoity toity to me, but maybe i wasn't around those parts! I will say that Manchester Center was way more hoity toity and there is an awesome hostel there now! I think it just has to be done in a certain way is all...

Yeah, believe it or not Bennington College costs more than most of the Ivy League schools, it and Middlebury College up the road are two of the most expensive private colleges in the country.....but maybe they could use some smelly hikers to class up the joint!

Images

Boiling Springs, PA is a town where a hostel would be welcomed by hikers. Camping options are not good near town and there are no inexpensive motels.

Images

If I were dreaming about a hostel on the trail, I would put it near the trail. I think North Adams would be better than Bennington. Of course Bennington would work with shuttles called by cell phone service at the trail or just regular shuttles to town. Another popular feature of hostels is slackpacking options. I can see, how hikers like to see those ahead and behind them without huge days or zeros.

I vote for Kent, CT.

Rambler

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Boiling Springs, PA is a town where a hostel would be welcomed by hikers. Camping options are not good near town and there are no inexpensive motels.
    This section of the trail could really be helped with a slackpacking angel that could feed hikers into the Ironmasters Mansion or the Doyle. For strong hikers, I recommend, going from Pine Grove Furnace to the Comfort Inn on Rt 11 and then to the Doyle. It helps to have extra funds or partners for this option.
    Rambler

So far , in rank of popularity:
    1. Bennington, VT
    2. Kent, CT
    3.Damascus
    4.Pawling, NY
    5.Boiling Springs,PA
    6. North Adams
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

I was picked up by someone in 2005 that said they were getting ready to put in a hostel in Bennington. Can't remember who that was... It was Ashtray (not sure what year he hiked).

Online trail journals rock. From my journal :

"We met Ashtray at the trailhead and he gave us a lift into town while explaining his plans to set up a hostel in the area. It could really use it! We showered, ate some amazing Fish & Chips (their slogan was "fish so fresh you have to slap it") walked all over Tar-nation for laundry and met up with my parents."

Quote Originally Posted by gravityman View Post
    I was picked up by someone in 2005 that said they were getting ready to put in a hostel in Bennington. Can't remember who that was... It was Ashtray (not sure what year he hiked).

Online trail journals rock. From my journal :

"We met Ashtray at the trailhead and he gave us a lift into town while explaining his plans to set up a hostel in the area. It could really use it! We showered, ate some amazing Fish & Chips (their slogan was "fish so fresh you have to slap it") walked all over Tar-nation for laundry and met up with my parents."

Thanks gravityman will keep an eye out
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

The unfortunate truth is that for most folks, when you can afford to live in a place like Kent or Salisbury or Williamstown or Bennington or Manchester Center or Hanover......when you can finally afford to live in a place like this, you generally don't want the place over-run with a bunch of unkempt smelly hippies, or even if you're open to the idea, your spouse or family might not be thrilled at the prospect, and one's neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate it either.

It is no accident that these places have always been short on hikier lodging.

Vermont only allows unkept smelly hippies...

Yeah, but Rutland already has a hostel.....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    The unfortunate truth is that for most folks, when you can afford to live in a place like Kent or Salisbury or Williamstown or Bennington or Manchester Center or Hanover......when you can finally afford to live in a place like this, you generally don't want the place over-run with a bunch of unkempt smelly hippies, or even if you're open to the idea, your spouse or family might not be thrilled at the prospect, and one's neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate it either.

It is no accident that these places have always been short on hikier lodging.

Jack, when my wife and I opened our hostel in Manchester Center last year, our (grown) kids were thrilled. They now have free lodging when skiing Bromley and Stratton!!!

As far as neighbors go, you are right. They first could not understand why we had so many guests and so few cars in the driveway Actually, the neighbors liked the hikers but had problems with hiker dogs barking and running around unleashed. All hikers say their dogs are well behaved. About half of them are correct.

We open fo 2009 on July 4th !!!!!!

Images

The others live down the road in Hoosic Falls

( I can say that because....., well lets just say I can say that )

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    There is one in Kent already. . . I agree with the Bennington idea. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Just a Hiker View Post
    Where in Kent?.......must be very new, unless your talking about the church with the outdoor shower. Bennington, VT is a cool town with some good restaurants and they have outdoor concerts every Friday Night in the summer, so a Hostel would be nice; however, Bennington is a bit Hoity Toity, so I don't see it happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Jack, when my wife and I opened our hostel in Manchester Center last year, our (grown) kids were thrilled. They now have free lodging when skiing Bromley and Stratton!!!

As far as neighbors go, you are right. They first could not understand why we had so many guests and so few cars in the driveway Actually, the neighbors liked the hikers but had problems with hiker dogs barking and running around unleashed. All hikers say their dogs are well behaved. About half of them are correct.

We open fo 2009 on July 4th !!!!!!
    Jeff,
    I hope this season of hikers is a wonderful group for you!! I'll always remember my stay at your 'hostel', which felt more like being in someone's home than an actual hostel! Thanks for what you do there in Manchester Center for the hikers!!

Images

Whoa...i didnt mean to quote all those, only the one from Jeff!!! not sure how that happened!!!

Images

Wakapak,

Thanks for the kind words. Here is the photo of you and the gang that night:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=374107

Quote Originally Posted by wakapak View Post
    Whoa...i didnt mean to quote all those, only the one from Jeff!!! not sure how that happened!!!
    Cuz you're a dork???

Cuz you're a dork???

confirmed i have seen it myself

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    confirmed i have seen it myself
    you've seen me and that i may or may not be a dork????

Journal Entries
    Images

Damascus could use one. . . .
    and it is going to get one real soon.........

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    bennington huh?.. yeah looks pretty bare when trying to search for one there
    and there are, or use to be plenty of homes sitting empty east and west of where the trail crosses the highway.......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++