WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New Hostel

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Wanderer View Post
    and there are, or use to be plenty of homes sitting empty east and west of where the trail crosses the highway.......
    Something i will have to look into wonder if my real estate agent wants to drive to vermont to do some hunting for me
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

Captain,

Don't see anyone making money running a hostel on the AT. Wish it was otherwise.

Virginia Tortoise

At 5 miles from the AT I know that I won't be stopping at Bennington when I section hike there next week. I think that Kent would be a better candidate. Only .8 miles off of the trail and just 1 Inn and a B&B. I did stay at the Fife & Drum when going through there a few years back. It has nice, clean rooms, and the food in the restaurant is great. But I believe I paid $130 for a room. So I would have stayed at a hostel if there had been one there then.

Images

MikeC,

I have always found hitching in Vermont is pretty easy. Lots of hikers go into Bennington, Manchester and Rutland....all require a 4 to 6 mile hitch.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I think a Dairy Queen every 50 or so miles would be nice. Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Lybarger View Post
    Captain,

Don't see anyone making money running a hostel on the AT. Wish it was otherwise.
    who honestly expects to MAKE money these days when running a business, im a bit of a ways out anyway like 2 years the soonest so no reason to fret just yet
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

While Bennington may not have an official hostel, there is the B-town vortex, where several hundred hikers have stayed free since 04. And there are a couple of other people who also put up hikers free--no agendas, either. Every hiker who has stayed here with me loves Bennington!

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by arla View Post
    While Bennington may not have an official hostel, there is the B-town vortex, where several hundred hikers have stayed free since 04. And there are a couple of other people who also put up hikers free--no agendas, either. Every hiker who has stayed here with me loves Bennington!
    Arla is right. My daughter and her hiking partner were their very first grubby hikers they took in. Plus, I've stayed there myself, with Mala and TDS and Grass.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Bennington has an on demand shuttle service for $2, weekdays only, 9-5. And, if anyone really wants to start an official hostel in Bennington, I'm willing to sell the vortex, which is centrally located downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by arla View Post
    Bennington has an on demand shuttle service for $2, weekdays only, 9-5. And, if anyone really wants to start an official hostel in Bennington, I'm willing to sell the vortex, which is centrally located downtown.

do make sure you get back to me

Images

Is this hostel still functioning in Bennington?

http://www.hostelz.com/hostel/2415-H...d-Lodge-Hostel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Yes, Greenwood Lodge is still functioning, as far as I know. I actually know the owner. The problem for most hikers is that Greenwood Lodge is several miles up the mountain, going west of the trailhead, and there isn't much else up there. I think most hikers want to be in town so they can get food, mail, internet, laundromat, outfitter, pub, movies, music...

How could Kent, CT be a good hostel town in terms of profitability? Yes, it's close to the trail and yes, doesn't have any competition, but there's a reason why there isn't a hostel located in Kent. I'm certain many of you have been there, but do you have any idea what it would cost to purchase a house/land in that part of the country?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Saint View Post
    How could Kent, CT be a good hostel town in terms of profitability? Yes, it's close to the trail and yes, doesn't have any competition, but there's a reason why there isn't a hostel located in Kent. I'm certain many of you have been there, but do you have any idea what it would cost to purchase a house/land in that part of the country?
    This is true, and the town red tape you would go through. The nicer towns have a way of keeping out the hostels.

Default Hostels

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Boiling Springs, PA is a town where a hostel would be welcomed by hikers. Camping options are not good near town and there are no inexpensive motels.
    Amen to that. I found it amazing that the town where the Mid-Atlantic HQ is located has neither any kind of hostel/inexpensive lodging, nor any decent tenting sites. Camping in an overgrown field next to railroad tracks and an abandoned house was one of my least fun nights of many on the trail . . .

Images

I'd have to vote for Boiling Springs as well. Would be a great place to be able to stop for the night.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

You are correct on Boiling Springs. Also if I remember there is a long stretch between shelters. I was going to stay at that field near the tracks except they never cut the grass it was up to my knees.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++