WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Hostel

Exclamation New Hostel

Just wondering and trying to get a census here. At what point along the AT is it felt there is need for a new hostel? i expect there to be some love them/hate them commentary as is the case with shelters...dogs...women...BUT i was just curious has there been a point where you guys have just went " there needs to be a hostel right HERE right now"
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

i have never wished for a hostel to be anywhere. motels yes

darn you lone wolf...i had an ice cold sam adams staring at me and i bet myself if you was the first to reply id have to drink it...sigh salut
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

Damascus could use one. . . .

really? would think damascus would be over run with them esp with traildays and what not

I've never told myself that I "need" a hostel; however, there are a few place where they would be convenient at times.......Pawling, NY........Kent, CT......Bennington, VT; however, I doubt these places will ever have one.

Kent, CT. A hostel that has showers, telephones, internet, and allows dogs.

is that you saying there IS one in kent that allows all that in response to the previous post.. or was you agreeing that one in kent would be nice?

There is one in Kent already. . . I agree with the Bennington idea. . .

bennington huh?.. yeah looks pretty bare when trying to search for one there

Where in Kent?.......must be very new, unless your talking about the church with the outdoor shower. Bennington, VT is a cool town with some good restaurants and they have outdoor concerts every Friday Night in the summer, so a Hostel would be nice; however, Bennington is a bit Hoity Toity, so I don't see it happening.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    There is one in Kent already. . . I agree with the Bennington idea. . .
    Kent has one??? Since when?? We all but were ran out of there last year by the guy that runs the laundromat, and it was only for putting our clothes on the table (i guess those tables are for clean clothes only!).

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Hiker View Post
    Where in Kent?.......must be very new, unless your talking about the church with the outdoor shower. Bennington, VT is a cool town with some good restaurants and they have outdoor concerts every Friday Night in the summer, so a Hostel would be nice; however, Bennington is a bit Hoity Toity, so I don't see it happening.
    Bennington isn't any more hoity toity than Kent. I think it's way less to be honest. There was an awesome woman there who took in lots of hikers last year. She pretty much chased Chaco and I down the main st after she saw us walk by the restaurant she was having dinner in. It was almost sunset, and we were drenched, pretty muddy and looking for somewhere to stay...thank goodness for her!!

If I had to choose between Kent and Bennington to stop in again, I'd choose Bennington hands down...seemed much friendlier to me and easier on the wallet too!!

3 votes for bennington in 4 different people.. lone wolf doesnt count because i think we all knew his answer before i even posted the question...not that theres anything wrong with wolf..we just know where he stands already :-P

I meant that I think Kent needs one. I was there last July and there was no hostel at that time.

so about one in kent AND one in bennington?

i mean they would seem to be far enough not to rob business from each other

Wapapak, I totally agree that Bennington is way nicer than Kent, but when I say Hoity Toity, I mean that Bennington is a college town with one of most expensive private colleges in the country, so I am guessing that the "powers that be" in Bennington might not be super happy about a hostel......but it sure would be cool if there was one.......

Images

are you looking at starting a hostel???

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Hiker View Post
    Wapapak, I totally agree that Bennington is way nicer than Kent, but when I say Hoity Toity, I mean that Bennington is a college town with one of most expensive private colleges in the country, so I am guessing that the "powers that be" in Bennington might not be super happy about a hostel......but it sure would be cool if there was one.......
    I didnt realize there was even a college there! The parts of town I saw didn't seem too hoity toity to me, but maybe i wasn't around those parts! I will say that Manchester Center was way more hoity toity and there is an awesome hostel there now! I think it just has to be done in a certain way is all...

well nothing wrong with day dreaming right not sure how feasible itd be but also since m trying to get out for a thru trying to get a feel of where people thinks there needs to be one so i can be mentally prepared

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++