WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: UL Frying Pan

Default UL Frying Pan

Looking for a way to make some kind of ultra light frying pan to go with my Heineken pot, possibly that doubles as the lid.

i tried putting soup can bottoms, a tea tin, and all kinds of scraps from my stove making materials on the stove to cook an egg in but they all started to burn or melt under direct flame.

Any ideas?

You could heat up a flat rock. What are you trying to cook?
    Maybe something like aluminum foil and a layer of sand underneath your frying pan?

Images

Default Wok

Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    Looking for a way to make some kind of ultra light frying pan to go with my Heineken pot, possibly that doubles as the lid.

i tried putting soup can bottoms, a tea tin, and all kinds of scraps from my stove making materials on the stove to cook an egg in but they all started to burn or melt under direct flame.

Any ideas?
    ive tried, but had the same problems. direct flame burned everything, but i did learn to poach an egg.
    i even tried pounding out a wok from an out cookie sheet. couldn't get it smooth enough. i wish i could get access to the fender machine that is on the West Coast Cycle show.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I was given a One Egg Wonder pan last year. Tiny and it works great. Bed, Bath and Beyond sold them, as does Amazon.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images

second the one egg wonder, you can even find them at a lot of grocery stores, but I moved up to a IMUSA cacerola because it has a lid. In fact if the pan's not light enough, that lid might make you a good UL frypan, it's steel and nonstick too. You'd need to fill the knob hole thougg.

Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post

Any ideas?
    The problem with any type of do-it-yourself UL frying pan is that the material you use is going to be so thin that it is almost like putting your food directly onto the flame. It will get so hot that it will destroy what you're cooking. My titanium snowpeak is the same way. Even with a simmer ring on my penny stove it still burns what ever I'm frying.

I have some SS foil tool wrap that could be used. I use it to wrap knife blades for heat treating. It absolutely will not melt but like I said it will not reduce the heat of the flame enough to prevent burning. But, if you want a piece to try and make a pan of sorts, PM me with your address and I'll send you a piece FOC.

Ain't hiking fun? What other sport creates such a variety of do-it-yourselfers?

Happy hiking.

Garlic
    Images

I'd agree with Kanati that the only way to make a frying pan work well is to add mass. I've gotten so spoiled with my antique cast iron number, I can't even make a modern teflon pan work well. I've seen a few backpacking frying pans in bounce boxes and that's probably why. I know I've given up.

I thought this thread title was a call for favorite oxymorons, like "accordion music".
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    second the one egg wonder, you can even find them at a lot of grocery stores, but I moved up to a IMUSA cacerola because it has a lid. In fact if the pan's not light enough, that lid might make you a good UL frypan, it's steel and nonstick too. You'd need to fill the knob hole thougg.
    I got spoiled. The gent who gave me mine made a custom lid for it Woo-woo indeed. A little domed lid of aluminum with a tiny handle on top!
    Trail Cooking

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sarbar View Post
    I got spoiled. The gent who gave me mine made a custom lid for it Woo-woo indeed. A little domed lid of aluminum with a tiny handle on top!

That is my line..... Don't take it away from me.....

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

LOL...now that is good
    Trail Cooking

Thumbs up Bought one...

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    I have one. They weigh about 7 ounces with the lid. They are also known as egg pans. I have another one that has no cover, or non-stick coating, and no handle, just 2 metal loops to pick up the pan. It weighs about 3 ounces, but you will have to coat the pan with oil to prevent sticking. Both types of pans are available at hispanic grocery stores.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Check out the MSR Flex. I just ordered one. 5.4 oz.

Thanks everyone i did some looking and found one of those one egg cookers at Kroger.

It cost $5.99 and weighs 4.85 ounces unmodified. I am going to either trim down the handle or take it off all together.

An empty "Jiffy Pop" popcorn pan, the old aluminum type, makes a good ultralight frying pan. It lasts a while, if You're gentle with it. It weighs almost nothing. It's free.

Cheers!

++ New Posts ++