WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Do You Really Need A Compass For Thru-Hike?

Curious if a compass is really a must-have?

Nice to have if you get lost lol. As small and light as they are there is really no reason to not have one. I have seen people glue the small ones that you buy online for a quarter a piece to their walking sticks, flash lights, water bottles, pretty much anywhere you can stick a nickel sized piece of plastic lol.

of course now that I posted that I can not find the site with the glue on compass lol

Thanks Phoenix, I see that Campmor has a decent 1 oz. compass so I guess it can't hurt.

No Prob. BTW The bear whistle has one on it too, which BTW I have never needed to use mine but a bear whistle seems like a smart idea lol

Images

Default Compass?

hikeSafe - The 10 Essentials

When you can just make out the map in your hands through the thick fog, it's kind of tough to orient it without one!

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    hikeSafe - The 10 essentials

When you can just make out the map in your hands through the thick fog, it's kind of tough to orient it without a compass!
    That's not fog that is Smog in Reading lol

Images

Default Reading?

I was thinking of New Hampshire when I posted, The Presidentials in particular.

Reading's air quality isn't bad compared to many small cities. I've seen statistics on it recently. It's been said the view from the North Lookout at Hawk Mountain is 70 miles on a clear day. I don't know how often it occurs these days, but I'd expect our air quality is better than many places near the AT.

Light pollution and advertising pollution along our highways is a bigger issue. Sometimes I miss Maine and Vermont, where one can drive most of the time without these ugly distractions.

Default Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix7 View Post
    The times I have needed a compass have never been on the hikes where I anticipated needing one.
    Shutterbug

Images

IF you have a map, the compass is a big help, vital even.
    If you DO NOT have a map, it can cause you more headaches than it is worth!! Many Many times the AT goes South for Northbound hikers & vice versa if you are SOBO! Sometimes it's only for a few hundred yards, sometimes for miles, but if you are using the compass to remember which way to go in the morning & forgot to "shoot a bearing" the night before, you may hike miles before you figure out that you have already hiked that stretch.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Is a compass necessary on a trail where there are blazes every 1/4 mile while on a well used obvious trail during typical thru-hiker season, especially if one has the AT maps? - I don't think so! If it makes you somehow feel safer add it to the GPS unit, sidearm, and snakebite kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixdadeadhead View Post
    No Prob. BTW The bear whistle has one on it too, which BTW I have never needed to use mine but a bear whistle seems like a smart idea lol
    Yeah, I think I'll take some dehydrated water along as well

Images

you should have a map and a compass. The compass does not have to be a big one. A small compass would do just fine.

Panzer

Images

Default Map & compass

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    If you DO NOT have a map, it can cause you more headaches than it is worth!!
    I always thought maps were a good value too! The the term compass ordinarily follows map for a reason.

There are plenty of good reasons to carry both in the county where I reside. AT hikers will travel north and south in Berks County, but most of the time they travel east or west. Northbounders must remember to hike south when they leave Port Clinton unless they want to end up in Pottsville.

It's almost guaranteed a mapless hiker will have no clue what rules apply here either.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix7 View Post
    All the cool kids will laugh at you if you don't have one.

Journal Entries

Default Yes

Carry a compass. On some walks you will never need it. But when a compass is valuable, it is very valuable. I always carry a compass -- even if I don't carry a map -- which happens sometimes on trails that I know very well.

But on the AT carrying both a compass and a map is wise, IMO. Wise hikers leave the trail from time to time -- to answer calls of nature, or out of curiosity about a bird, flower or animal.

Weary

This reminds me of some of the recent threads on 'protection' devices not being needed on the AT. You will probably never use a compass on the AT. However; if you need a compass (or any other life-saving device) you will REALLY need it and a ranger or anyone else will not be there to help you.
    Be prepared!
    First things first!

One-time Rights, hard copy and Internet. All Rights revert to author.

Default Bring a compass

It is really easy to get confused on direction under some conditions, regardless of your level of experience. If you get a fairly short distance off the trail for camping, call of nature, etc., you may find you are unsure of what direction to head to get to the trail. Even if I'm clueless what direction to head I can stay oriented and go in a straight line, returning each time to my starting point as necessary, until I'm back on the trail.

One tiny compass will work for the whole trail. I always try to bring a compass in the backcountry.

As far as I'm concerned, a compass is only really necessary if you're doing technical orienteering. You will never do this on the AT.

First of all I would NEVER go without maps. I've done a few section hikes and never needed a compass but I'm sure every once in awhile hikers stray from the path and backtracking might be inadequate. So I will carry a 1 oz compass and maps. Thank you!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++