WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    The girl did not get attacked and did not report an alleged attack.
    Where are you getting this information? Do you have a link?
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Where are you getting this information? Do you have a link?
    I am reading the same reports as everyone else, the ones that are posted in this thread. I see a sensational article about an incident where a girl claims that an assault was attempted and the writer(s) of the articles have decideded to call that an "attack" rather than an "incident". If you can clearify what an "attempted assault" is it would be helpful. As it stands at this time, there is no information or even allegation that this person was touched or in any way harmed.
    I find it silly and sad when men have to stand up and publicly declare that they will stand up and protect womenhood and how nobody better do anything bad when they are around because they will kick-butt, blah, blah, blah. Like all the rest of us don't have daughters and sisters and wives and mothers and we need a lecture on how to protect them.
    Some may read about the danger a lone woman may face from this story, some may read about the danger a lone man may face.

I find it silly and sad when men have to stand up and publicly declare that they will stand up and protect womenhood and how nobody better do anything bad when they are around because they will kick-butt, blah, blah, blah. Like all the rest of us don't have daughters and sisters and wives and mothers and we need a lecture on how to protect them.

Its easy to be a tough guy online.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Dr O View Post
    Florida requires even less, a verbal threat isn't even required. You just have to feel threatened.
    A little ambiguous, no? Paranoid people feel threatened all the time. Does this give them the right to go around attacking complete strangers? "Well officer, this girl came to my door dressed in some type of militant uniform. She reached for something I thought was a gun. I felt threatened so I beat her up. I had no idea she was reaching for a box of thin mint cookies."

I'm sad to say this but to many such attacks happen that are not reported because the victim believes no one will believe them.

Wolf[/quote]

Where does this information come from? Can you provide a link. In the process of blasting others for thier post and opinions and your self rightous grandstand, you throw this little ditty into the mix. Maybe some of the female posters here can back you up and confirm that many attacks of females occur while hiking the AT or LT. If not, what you have to say is just alot of crap.

Lame thread.

Geezer

I am reading the same reports as everyone else, the ones that are posted in this thread. I see a sensational article about an incident where a girl claims that an assault was attempted and the writer(s) of the articles have decideded to call that an "attack" rather than an "incident". If you can clearify what an "attempted assault" is it would be helpful. As it stands at this time, there is no information or even allegation that this person was touched or in any way harmed.
    Just because you don't know and can't imagine what an attempted crime is (attempted assault, attempted robbery, attempted rape, attempted anything) does not mean it doesn't exist. If you feel comfortable saying this:

The girl did not get attacked and did not report an alleged attack.
    based on the articles, your reading comprehension needs as much work as your compassion.

In the beginning of this thread (now deleted), someone posted something about some guy not believing that such assaults ever happen and I rolled my eyes. I guess I'll apologize to that person now.
    Frosty

Images

... the writer(s) of the articles have decideded to call that an "attack" rather than an "incident". If you can clearify what an "attempted assault" is it would be helpful. As it stands at this time, there is no information or even allegation that this person was touched or in any way harmed. ...
    The articles are somewhat ambiguous, but the law is not. My interpretation of both articles is that the victim alleged that an assault occurred. It is not clear from the articles whether battery or a sexual assault was alleged.
    Assault:
    A crime that occurs when one person tries to physically harm another in a way that makes the person under attack feel immediately threatened. Actual physical contact is not necessary; threatening gestures that would alarm any reasonable person can constitute an assault.
    http://www.nolo.com/definition.cfm/t...50ceb/alpha/a/

Assault is often confused with Battery:
    A crime consisting of physical contact that is intended to harm someone. Unintentional harmful contact is not battery, no mater how careless the behavior or how severe the injury. A fist fight is a common battery; being hit by a wild pitch in a baseball game is not.
    http://www.nolo.com/definition.cfm/T...DDC20/alpha/B/

These definitions match what I recall of Mass. law, but I am not a lawyer.

Images

An assault IS an attack. The words are interchangeable.

I don't see anything sensational about the article, nor do I see any evidence of a writer beefing anything up. If anything, we should blame the authorities for not releasing enough info on what has happened.

But to conclude from this that nothing happened at all??? You're just being ridiculous.

Some may read about the danger a lone woman may face from this story, some may read about the danger a lone man may face.

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    A little ambiguous, no? Paranoid people feel threatened all the time. Does this give them the right to go around attacking complete strangers? "Well officer, this girl came to my door dressed in some type of militant uniform. She reached for something I thought was a gun. I felt threatened so I beat her up. I had no idea she was reaching for a box of thin mint cookies."
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in691124.shtml

You can meet "force with deadly force", but "force" is vague, "deadly force" isn't

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    shut it down now, save everyone the same ole BS that these threads go through.
    hows about all of you

SHUT THE **** UP

unless you have something factual to add?

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    hows about all of you

SHUT THE **** UP

unless you have something factual to add?
    how can there be facts in a he said / she said situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey2006 View Post
    An assault IS an attack. The words are interchangeable.

I don't see anything sensational about the article, nor do I see any evidence of a writer beefing anything up. If anything, we should blame the authorities for not releasing enough info on what has happened.

But to conclude from this that nothing happened at all??? You're just being ridiculous.

To conclude that nothing at all may have happened is perfectly reasonable. To repeat: We have no idea what, if anything happened.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    To conclude that nothing at all may have happened is perfectly reasonable. To repeat: We have no idea what, if anything happened.
    You're right -- we can't conclude that something DID happen. But at the same time, we cannot conclude that something DIDN'T happen, either. Either statement would be false.

This has run its course. Goodnite Irene.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++