WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

Default Refried Beans

As long as we're talking about where to order stuff.... If you like refried beans, check the Mexicali Rose website. Their Instant Refried beans rock. Makes a great trail dinner.

http://www.mexicalirose.com/
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

I recently tried the Knorr Mushroom gravey on instant rice with Knorr red bean soup mix and it was outstanding.

Also, the Knorr Tomato-Basil sauce on Ramen noodles with cheese and tobasco was very good!

I like this thread. A couple of the best and worst meals are quite funny. Two thoughts on meals come to mind. A lunch that I enyoy one or two days out of town is a whole what tortilla with sliced, fresh, just out of the skin avacado, with swiss cheese, salt and pepper. Plenty of fat, protein,carbs, and best of all, plenty of taste.

Speaking of taste, I try not to eat liptons or ramens. Finding them in a hiker box is an exception. When I do eat them I always doctor them up. To ramens I add natural peanut butter and powdered ginger. Very tasty. To liptons I used to add peperonni and sharp cheddar cheese. Now, I never leave town without fresh veggies. There are some outstanding dry products available that actually have good nutritional value. Most of the things we usually eat while hiking do not. I carry some dry staples and add them and veggies to each meal to create something different and delicious. The sundried tomatoes mentioned above have alot of flavor. I always have salt and pepper, olive oil, powdered ginger, (The candied kind tastes great when mixed into hot water), garlic, and dried hot peppers.

Some health food stores have a dried vegetarioan chili with TVP that is easy to make and tastes great. It is even better with some fresh red peppers or broccoli. Fresh spinach also works well.
    Forrest Phil

Default Want some BBQ?

Take your tuna pouch and add a generous amount of BBQ sauce and mix well. Man, that stuff tastes just like minced BBQ.

Lil Rebel

Default Sweet Sue Chicken

For the past year or so, I have been packing in the packaged "Sweet Sue Chicken". It is packaged just like the tuna. For a while they just had it in 7oz packs but now they have 7oz, 5oz, and 3oz. That is perfect to give any meal a little extra volume and taste.

I used to dislike ramens and liptons. But now I add the "Sweet Sue Chicken" and it makes it great. Could also be added to Mac and Cheese, Stuffing, Chili, or any soup.

Good stuff. I give it two thumbs up.

Btw: If you still like tuna, get the albacore. It has more calories from what I heard.

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

Hey I need a favor. I don't have any super walmarts near where I live (the wlamarts with grocery sections), and I want to experiment with the "Sweet Sue Chicken" that comes in a foil pouch. I called walmart up, and they need a barcode number. If any of you out there have any packs of this chicken, could you post the barcode number for me, and the accompanying size (7, 5, or 3). Thanks, I'd appreciate it alot. I'm suprised none of the grocery stores around here carry it either. Then I can order a box of it for $20-$30.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Here ya go Hamster ...just bought 10 of the 3 oz packs last weekend. The number under the barcode is 41338 11519

Hope that helps
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Default Sweet Sue Chicken

I just found it myself, here in Atlanta at the Kroger grocery store.
    The bar code # is 41358 11519 for the 3oz foil package. Hope this helps !

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Hey RH ...just an after thought. How many packets (and what size packets) are you getting for the $20 - $30 ? Just curious if you get a break buying it by the box

Thanks
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Default Sweet Sue products

Sweet Sue also has Ham chunks and Turkey breast in the 7 oz. foil pouch. They can be found at Walmart Super Center stores, or contact Sweet Sue Kitchens.
    1-800-633-3294
    The barcodes for these are:
    Turkey breast-41358 50041
    Ham chunks-41358 50073
    Chicken breast-41358 53004
    Last edited by veteran; 02-07-2003 at 11:43.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Images

SGT Rock, do you make your own dehydrated re-fried beans.. anyhints??

Images

I do fruit and jerky, but you can get freeze dried refried beans at Wal-Mart. Mexacali Rose is the name brand.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Default beans

I dried canned beans (pintos) and LOVED them! With some minute rice -- very tasty. You could probably dehydrate canned refried beans pretty easily too. I tried the boxed dehydrated refried beans that Rock mentioned, but I didn't really like the taste -- I wanted the bean flavor, not so much of the spice.
    And canned beans rehydrate super fast -- much faster than dried veggies.

BAT

Smile Take it back Bad Ass Turtle!

Sra. Mexacali Rose is the Mother Therasa of refried beans. They should both be elevated to Sainthood pronto! ; )

Images

Y'all got me itching to get some refried beans, chicken foil packs, tobasco, whole wheat tortillas, and some cheese and make some killer backpacking chicken and bean burrittos. MMMMMMMM..
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Yall keep this up an Towndawg is gonna come by and start hawking titanium chef 2003 over here.

Sarge, I read your report on whole wheat tortillas and have been looking for them here in the Atlanta area, but can't find them...have seen them in the past but can't recall where?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Images

I get mine at Super Wal-Mart at the end of the bread isle.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

First day out of town I like pancakes in the morning with heat and serve sausages. Cook a couple extra pancakes, wrap around sausage, spread peanut butter, jam. sugar or whatever, cover with syrup, wrap in something handy, lunch, snack, is ready when you are.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

Question

Hey, great post and some very useful ideas. BTW, I would like your recipe for dried hamburger. Thanks!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++