WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

I wouldn't say it packs to the size of a nalgene, more like a Nerf football-sized. Still pretty small though.

The only catch to it it is , I'm 6'4" and I just barely fit in the Long version, so if you're taller, you won't fit. Also, this is definitely a "summer only" bag. The insulation is practically non-existent, but it fits tight and traps a fair amount of heat.

Like I said, I've used it to the upper 30s with long johns and a beanie, but that was one fluke night during a long trip in Northern Minnesota. I wouldn't recommend it if the lows are predicted to be below 45° for consecutive nights.

Images

Well I'm 5' 5", and I need a summer only bag. Hear that screeching? My tires on the way to check out this bag.

The 20% off sale is back at RE-outlet.com

Quote Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
    The 20% off sale is back at RE-outlet.com
    That's rei-outlet.com but you guys already know that

I picked one up, came out to $36 so the pricing is still the same.

Images

that's an elite $36. a +40 bag is good for at least 4 months in PA (even if that +40 is really a +50)
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

I picked up the bag today.

The quality is very good but it is definitely a summer only bag in places that don't get much colder than 50deg. With additional clothes I am sure you could go a little lower. It has very little loft but is designed to be very efficient with the slim cut, draft tube, hood etc.....

I am very happy that I made the purchase.

We are having lows around 45 deg. I will see what this bag can do.

Images

as of today it's now 30$ site to store. http://www.rei.com/product/767276

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    I wonder if it makes sense to cut it down and make a sub 1 lb quilt out of it?
    Any thoughts?
    I've had that thought a few times. But quilts are sooooo easy to make.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by hikingtime View Post
    I have that Lafuma bag and the quality is excellent. I think the people who bad mouth Lafuma have never actually owned one. Don't let the good price make you think it is a crummy bag, because it is not.
    I own 2 Lafumas. They are average quality, and about 10 degrees off their rating. That being said, for the price, I'd buy them again, and adjust the idea of when to use them. Probably doesn't help that my benchmark for excellent is my Western Mountaineering Megalite.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

i'm tempted to get it and experiment with it for an underquilt
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

The 2010 version is back at 36$ with REI outlet's 20% off coupon. http://www.rei.com/product/798906

Still a great value for a summer bag.

I'm not familiar with this particular bag, but I used a Lafuma down bag on my thru and absolutely hated it. The fact that a down sleeping bag is stored and shipped compressed in its stuff sack should have been a warning sign. I ended up wearing long johns and using a liner with it (July in Maine), I still slept cold.

Maybe Lafuma's synthetic fill bags are better, but I'll never buy anything of theirs again.

Images

It you're expecting something that it's not, you will be disappointed. It's not better than the one you had, if you read the thread you'll see that it's drawbacks have been described in detail. It's a 36 dollar 20oz bag for summer in the southeast where temps are expected to be 50+. Most "3 season" bags are too much for southern summers. We often spend 3 months with night time temps above 60. This bag performs well in these conditions at a reasonable cost and weight with some nice touches like an internal pocket and glow in the dark zipper pull.

In the US, Lafumas are all rated at their "extreme" EN rating. (which is IMO a bad marketing move, setting people's expectations that they will be comfortable at the extreme rating)

• Comfort - the temperature at which a standard woman can expect to sleep comfortably in a relaxed position.
    • Lower Limit - the temperature at which a standard man can sleep for eight hours in a curled position without waking.
    • Extreme - the minimum temperature at which a standard woman can remain for six hours without risk of death from hypothermia (though frostbite is still possible).

When expectations are adjusted for this by informed consumers using the EN comfort rating rather than the extreme rating, they often represent a good value. I like my 850fp lafuma pro 950 down bag. It is rated for 15, is good for 35 in skivvies, 25 or so with a base layer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++