WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Drinking Milk?

Default Drinking Milk?

I've seen alot of threads talking about people's hiking experiences and i've noticed alot of people seem to have stopped somewhere in the middle of their hike to "refuel" on milk or buttermilk. Why is this? Personally if i'm hiking or exercising i don't know if i could keep milk down if i drank it, it's not really one of those things i say "boy i need something to drink, i'm going to get some milk". Well, atleast not when i'm exercising. Any insight?

What is your actual question??

ZeroC, I can understand - I don't like drinking cow milk cold (I can only drink it in lattes). But some people love it - the protein, it is minerals and vitamins. Think of it like Gatoraid to some people.....
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

i guess the question is why do people decide to drink milk over anything else.

I am a milkaholic. I normally drink a half gallon a day, and in the summer I will often buy a quart of milk at lunch and drink the whole thing.
    I am strange though and I know it. I can do the one gallon challenge, and most the people in the country must know it cuz no one will bet anymore lol.
    I take powdered milk on my hikes, but when I hit a town there is nothing I want more than a tall glass of Horizon. Ok maybe a shower, but they are real close.
    Man must put an end to war, or War will put an end to man.
    John F. Kennedy

I've always found a cold glass of milk to be extremely refreshing, especially when I'm thirsty. I know that can seem counterintiutive. I believe it helps my digestion. And I like to drink a glass before bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    I've always found a cold glass of milk to be extremely refreshing, especially when I'm thirsty. I know that can seem counterintiutive. I believe it helps my digestion. And I like to drink a glass before bed.
    Heck yeah. Nothing better that a glass of milk at bed time
    John F. Kennedy

Yeah, i enjoy milk before bed. Just don't think i could do it in the middle of physical activity.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroC View Post
    Yeah, i enjoy milk before bed. Just don't think i could do it in the middle of physical activity.
    I think you have to be a milkaholic from youth, because I have seen many people try to keep up with my habit and get sick. I would think it reacts the same in everyones stomach, so my only thought would be that some peoples stomachs don't mind milk curdling inside.
    John F. Kennedy

A Snickers with a cold glass of milk. Ahhhh!
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

My wife has a dairy allergy so she can only drink soy milk. I am also a milkaholic and have a free run at drinking out of the jug!

Often after working in the yard or coming back from a workout, a big gulp of milk is what I crave most. I haven't done powdered milk on a hike yet, but I plan on trying soon.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

i guess the question is why do people decide to drink milk over anything else.
    Oh. . . personal preference??

I've seen alot of threads talking about people's hiking experiences and i've noticed alot of people seem to have stopped somewhere in the middle of their hike to "refuel" on milk or buttermilk. Why is this? Personally if i'm hiking or exercising i don't know if i could keep milk down if i drank it, it's not really one of those things i say "boy i need something to drink, i'm going to get some milk". Well, atleast not when i'm exercising. Any insight?
    Chocolate milk is the best energy drink.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1342839.shtml

Thumbs down Not me...

Lactose intolerant..gotta take the Lactaid pills or instant problems (you wouldn't want to be near me!). Probably could get through about 1/4 of the half-gallon challenge.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

A gallon of ice cold milk and a platter of chocolate chip cookies is the best meal you can have.
    J D Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JDCool1 View Post
    A gallon of ice cold milk and a platter of chocolate chip cookies is the best meal you can have.
    A gallon? Did you say a gallon? That's a lot of moo!!

I drank milk at every opportunity while on the trail. Many times I would leave town with a half gallon and sip it as I walked.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanati View Post
    A gallon? Did you say a gallon? That's a lot of moo!!

I drank milk at every opportunity while on the trail. Many times I would leave town with a half gallon and sip it as I walked.
    The 1 gallon challenge.
    Get a bunch of people together, have each buy a gallon of milk (self included), every one bets a 20, and who ever can drink 1 gallon in 1 hour without vomiting wins. If No one wins you all get your money back. Just don't play against me, unless you want to lose your money lol.
    John F. Kennedy

Images

I normally don't drink milk. I have found though that after I am in the woods for an extended period of time I start to crave milk. I have gotten to the point that now if I plan on any hike over 1 week I carry Nido so I can get my milk fix.
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixdadeadhead View Post
    The 1 gallon challenge.
    Get a bunch of people together, have each buy a gallon of milk (self included), every one bets a 20, and who ever can drink 1 gallon in 1 hour without vomiting wins. If No one wins you all get your money back. Just don't play against me, unless you want to lose your money lol.

Sounds like we have a challange I love milk and could easily chug a gallon of it. I adore an ice cold glass of milk when it's hot out and when I am working out best drink.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Milk provides calcium which is needed in muscle contraction. A good thing to take in.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++