WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Another trail to explore...when I get a chance. Thanks peakbagger :-)

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    That white sign you see is on the Grafton Notch Loop Trail.
    Thanks. Seems like it's in an odd location, almost tucked into that little grove where they camped. Perhaps it's more visible than the camera angle provided.

Its not such an odd location if you're hiking GNLT. The tower kinda draws your eye to it and the sign is right there. The trails continues over the summit and past tower on the other side of the clearing, continues down to the AT.

I don't remember the top being that rocky. More like fine glacial till.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Its not such an odd location if you're hiking GNLT.
    Probably. It just seemed from the camera angle that the sign was almost tucked just inside that wood. The other trail doesn't run through that little camping area they were in, does it? From that second tentsite it looks like there's a trail that goes back into the woods. Maybe it's just a thrashed out area of ground.

Bull Branch campsite on the GNLT would work quite well for Old Speck sunset/sunrise pics if you are comfortable walking with a headlamp. The trail between there and the summit is well maintained and easy to follow. It also has rare for ME switchbacks making the slope easier to navigate. The only real terrain is on the side trail to the campsite and even that isn't much trouble if you've navigated the trail in from either direction.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    Bull Branch campsite on the GNLT would work quite well for Old Speck sunset/sunrise pics if you are comfortable walking with a headlamp.
    No issues with the odd bout of night hiking. Will have to take a gander at this one. Thanks!

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Well crud, I just posted this in the Speck Pond thread that is under the NH shelters, which is obviously in error since this shelter is in ME.

Anyway, a new shelter was being constructed in 2017. I forgot to snap a pic, but as of last August this shelter was coming along nicely. It was still being constructed, but was almost done. I presume it's probably finished now? I love the supports around the opening in the front as they are tree trunks with parts of branches left on, and used as part of the support structure for the roof logs. Really neat looking. I stopped by and had lunch at this shelter on my section hike through here back in August of 2017.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

IMG_20170905_150911.jpg

New shelter. Smells good, too

Yeah, this shelter is huge. I hiked by in July last year and it was basically built but the roof shingles weren’t applied yet. It’s all open but the feel inside is it has three separate sleeping areas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++