WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trail names..

Default Trail names..

Do people actually introduce themselves using a trail-name alias? I find this weird and was just planning on using my real name.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pattydivins View Post
    Do people actually introduce themselves using a trail-name alias? I find this weird and was just planning on using my real name.
    Do what you're comfortable with.

Yes, after a very short period of time, most people introduce themselves with their trail name. Even now, I answer as naturally to Bearpaw as my legal name. It just takes time.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

yes...try working at an outfitter in damascus, answering the phone, "sundog, this is serial"...that usually requires me to explain what is going on...it's not for everyone though, just the cool people...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Images

oh, and don't give yourself a trail name...they are best when they are earned...fall off a bunk bed in neel gap and you become "free fall"...now that's fun...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Quote Originally Posted by Serial 07 View Post
    oh, and don't give yourself a trail name...they are best when they are earned...fall off a bunk bed in neel gap and you become "free fall"...now that's fun...
    That is also how I earned the name "Wrong Turn" after getting lost coming down Blood Mountain.

As a section hiker I don't get as many opportunities to use my trail name but normally offer both.

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

....and after that vicious attack from a roving band of simians whilst backpacking......

....but that brings up too many bad memories.
    "Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you always have to put your two cents in?"
    - Stephen Wright

Images

I would never give out my real name on the trail,only to the hickers going with me from the begining
    Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Not Worthy

You are usually much easier for hikers to remember between each other with a trail name. "I saw Bob yesterday at Tray Mt" doesn't pass as much as "I saw Two Kids yesterday...". I agree, wait until the time comes that you are given your name, it will happen soon enough.
    Not Worthy

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
    ....and after that vicious attack from a roving band of simians whilst backpacking......

....but that brings up too many bad memories.
    i thought they only went after hammockers??

Images

You now have a trail name... "confused" (what my computer showed instead of the icon after your post) And yes, I introduce myself and answer to "Red Hat". There are just too many Kathy's on the trail, but so far, I think I'm the only Red Hat.

Images

They do- though I do know a couple people who either just used their real names, or something like "king james" instead of just james. I personally like being able to leave everything behind and just revert to my trail name. And quite often, you don't pick it yourself- other pick it for you. You have to get a trail name that really fits with you though, or it'll just feel weird and unneccesary.

Quote Originally Posted by vonfrick View Post
    i thought they only went after hammockers??

I am a hammocker. It was horrible.

The teeth.....the banana breath......absolutely horrible.
    "Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you always have to put your two cents in?"
    - Stephen Wright

to know a hikers real first name is concidered rare. most folks would never guess my real name is matthew in a million years.they just get all stupid and go," whats matthewski mean?". and im like,"matthew and ski." and their like,"do you ski?" and im like," "no." and their like," are you polish?" and im like," no." and their like," we must know what does it mean this matthewski?!." and im like," i stuck ski on the end of my name cause i needed a trail name."
    matthewski

I find that it becomes quite natural to use and answer to your trail name once you've been out for a while. Occasionally, when getting a lift from a non-hiker or meeting locals in a town I'll introduce myself using my real name if it seems like I would confuse the peron by giving my trail name.

It was odd last year to hear my real name for the first time in months after I finished the PCT and went home. Very odd.

About as odd as visiting my hiker friends at their homes and hearing their friends call them by their real names.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

I am Mrs Baggins on the trail. Period. Only 4 people on the AT know my real name. When I put on my pack I AM Mrs Baggins and that's how I introduce myself even when just hiking for a weekend. I answer to it as easily as my own name. I absolutely love the reaction when I put out my hand to greet someone and say "Hi. I'm Mrs Baggins." My husband and a friend that I've hiked with were stunned at how many people "knew" me.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Mags or Paul Mags on trail and off trail. (OK..one 3 yr does call me "Uncle Mags")

I'm lazy in many ways... (and have a hard to pronounce last name).
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pattydivins View Post
    I just returned from a week-and-a-half section hike and ran into plenty of thru-hikers. Some introduced themselves with trail names, some didn't (they introduced themselves with their real names).

Do whatever you like. I will say most non-day-hikers use trail names and I rarely learn their real names, or give out my real name for that matter. Though I will sign both in shelter registers.

RainMan
    RaymondMyers

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

Yea, I use to intro myself both ways. Now when I step foot on the trail Harold Frederick ceases to exists and I'm, Over the edge. A name I was given due to my habit of standing as close to the edge of over looks to take pictures including at least one leaning over to take straight down

I rarely use my real name, since it's Anita Hugginkiss.
    - Stephen Wright

During my first section hike, lack of experience resulted in a bear getting all my food, except a few Snickers bars. The rest of the trip, I was known as "Snickers".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++