WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up Gull Pond in Rangeley

Tonight I'm staying at Gull Pond in Rangeley and what a great place. Bob the owner is a real great guy who makes you feel right at home. The place is a little out of town, but if you call he will pick you up and take you back to the trail. It's a beautiful spot on the pond. I spent the afternoon floating around in the kayak and sipping on beer. I highly recommend staying here.

Journal Entries
    Images

I stayed there years ago and you are right Bob is an awesome host. Very nice guy. I call him sometimes during the winter to get info on snow conditions up there and he tells me so I can plan my snowmobiling trips.

I recommend staying there if you need a place to stay for the night during your hike or just want a zero day.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Default Great place

I love it there. Once in his kayak a loon surfaced right next to me. I could look right into those strange red eyes.

ba chomp, ba chewy chewy chomp chomp's Avatar

While the location is beautiful, I did not enjoy my stay there when I hiked in 99. The "hostel" is a little too integrated in his home for my liking. Also, a couple of years ago I arranged a shuttle through Bob. While I did not discuss prices ahead of time, I found that his rate was excessive, and to top it off, he tried to overcharge me on his stated rate.

Quote Originally Posted by chomp
    While the location is beautiful, I did not enjoy my stay there when I hiked in 99. The "hostel" is a little too integrated in his home for my liking. Also, a couple of years ago I arranged a shuttle through Bob. While I did not discuss prices ahead of time, I found that his rate was excessive, and to top it off, he tried to overcharge me on his stated rate.
    If you did not discuss the price ahead of time how could he overcharge on a stated rate? Also could you be more specific, what was the shuttle distance and price? I am extremely aware of shuttle prices and while they sometimes are excessive in places (often in your home state of NH) you can always turn them down. I find it extremely unlikely Bob would force a shuttle on anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay
    If you did not discuss the price ahead of time how could he overcharge on a stated rate?
    He told me that the price was $5 for every 5 miles in one direction. He started the tripometer when I dropped my car. When I got to the parking lot, his tripometer read 33 miles and he wanted to charge me $35. According to his stated price, I should have been charged $30... but if you are going to break it down, it should have been no more than $33. He wanted to round up the price of the shuttle.

Journal Entries
    Images

I know that the going price is about $1 per mile for most hostels that I talked to. If you spend the night you get a different price.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

He told me that the price was $5 for every 5 miles in one direction. He started the tripometer when I dropped my car. When I got to the parking lot, his tripometer read 33 miles and he wanted to charge me $35. According to his stated price, I should have been charged $30... but if you are going to break it down, it should have been no more than $33. He wanted to round up the price of the shuttle.

33 miles 35 dollars..doesn't sound bad to me...
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve
    33 miles 35 dollars..doesn't sound bad to me...
    Difference of opinions, but it sounded high to me three years ago when I got the shuttle. And when I was told the charge was $35 instead of the $30 that I expected... according to HIS rules... well, that specifically left a sour taste in my mouth.

Images

33 is closer to 35 than it is to 30..
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve
    33 is closer to 35 than it is to 30..
    Thanks, Steve, I can do the math. But his rules were "$5 for every five miles". Not $1 per mile. Not whatever is closer. $5 for every 5 miles. Rounding up is a cheap move and not one that I appreciate. If you think its a good deal, you are welcome to stay with him. If, like me, you get annoyed with this kind of behavior, you might want to steer clear.

PS - I just looked up my journal from the weekend. It was 32 miles, so he really rounded up.

http://friends.backcountry.net/chomp/rep20020622.html

Images

I would have tipped him an extra $5!

Difference of opinions, but it sounded high to me three years ago when I got the shuttle. And when I was told the charge was $35 instead of the $30 that I expected... according to HIS rules... well, that specifically left a sour taste in my mouth.
    It is a difference of opinion. That price sounds completely fair to me. What leaves a bad taste in my mouth is someone bad mouthing a valued provider of service to hikers being bad mouthed on a public forum for what amounts to a few dollars. The more I'm on this forum the more I understand what happened to Uncle Johnny. Enough hikers try to nickle and dime you, you start to return the "favor".

Images

Blue Jay you trouble maker,,,there you go you mentioned JohnnY SHORES...you know what problems that causes...there folks who just can't stand johhny...Now I have stayed at johnny's...5 times since 2000(even though he doesn't post the fact...knows better)...got shuttles from him..and I have never had a problem with the feller..I do wish he would SHUT UP about Ms Janet and leave her alone.

It is always a good idea to discuss Price before you buy anything...I always ask and get a price before I buy anything...why would you not be clear and even pay before you take the ride. make your deal and know the deal first.

you are a troublemaker Bluejay,,,btw how is your NOSE...you nasty Rascal
    Last edited by smokymtnsteve; 07-01-2004 at 09:03.

next time walk you cheap @#$%^^&

What leaves a bad taste in my mouth is someone bad mouthing a valued provider of service to hikers being bad mouthed on a public forum for what amounts to a few dollars.
    Wow, so I guess I am not supposed to express my opinion here on the board. I didn't like the hostel or the shuttle service. I provided my reasons for both. If you want to disagree, that is fine, but I'll be damned if I am not going to express my non-inflamatory opinion. To claim that I am bad mouthing someone is both ignorant and caustic. And if its just a few dollars, why don't you send me the 5 bucks, Blue Jay? I'll proved my address in a PM if you would like. Afterall, why should we be arguing on a public forum for what amounts to a few dollars?

Registered Troll
    Images

When I got to the parking lot, his tripometer read 33 miles and he wanted to charge me $35. According to his stated price, I should have been charged $30... but if you are going to break it down, it should have been no more than $33. He wanted to round up the price of the shuttle.
    Ugh. Can't stand a gyp, even if it's only a few pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronthebugbuffet
    next time walk you cheap @#$%^^&
    Next time come up with a more interesting response. And there was a next time, and I hitch-hiked.

Registered Troll
    Images

The more I'm on this forum the more I understand what happened to Uncle Johnny.
    Do you understand what happened to Miss Janet?

I didn't like the hostel or the shuttle service. I provided my reasons for both.
    I like hearing *all* opinions about service providers. Thanks, Chomp! And a buck a mile? Holy crap - I gave two hikers a ride from Katahdin to Portland last week, and all I did was let them buy me a tank of gas! Maybe I should go pro?
    Teej
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++