WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Is Shenandoah good for beginners?

Want to make it to Harpers Ferry in about 7 days. At least one resupply would be nice. Is this possible you think?

Images

I took 7 days to do the SNP. HF is another 38 miles, I believe. For me, it'd be about 10 days or more, total.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Shenandoah is over 100 miles, that can easily be done in 7 days if you are a fit and experienced hiker, but like the above post stated, Harpers Ferry is a ways beyond Front Royal.

I sectioned this section back in 2001 and did 20's right from the start while out of shape, it wasn't all that difficult but to be honest I found it harder than most people make it out to be, I didn't find this section as easy as say southern PA for example.

Garlic
    Images

I did that in 7 1/2 days including a zero at Front Royal, but I was doing 25+ miles every day by then. Not counting logistics like a car shuttle and without a zero in there and with a really good pace, yes, it's possible. About the only way to resupply in there is to hitch to Front Royal, I think, and that takes some time. There are very limited groceries and resupply in SNP, and great blackberry shakes, if you're there during the summer season. Good luck.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by Jbcrites View Post
    Want to make it to Harpers Ferry in about 7 days. At least one resupply would be nice. Is this possible you think?
    it's 160 miles. 22+ miles per day. have fun

Images

yeah...you just won't be able to enjoy tall frothy adult beverages...
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Images

I just did the same section, 160 miles but I used 13 days to do it and the day comming out of Front Royal was a 5 mile lazy day. I was not running and I like my morning coffee so am never in a rush to get out of camp but I do hike till like 7 or 8 PM. You can do it but wont be able to relax at overlooks and wont be able to enjoy what the park has to offer like cold beer at Big Meadows or Skyland.I did get a lotta rain so it did slow my pace too. I took 13 days because I had 13 days to enjoy a hike, I wasn't in a hurry.
    "I drank what?" Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Serial 07 View Post
    yeah...you just won't be able to enjoy tall frothy adult beverages...
    That's not true. You can get beer at every way station in the park.

This section is cake. The only part I didn't like was the rocky area before you get to the Bears Den hostel. SNP can be hiked in Crocs. The Rollercoaster, billed as something hard, is pathetic.

I don't think you can find an easier 160 mile stretch. Tear it up.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

++ New Posts ++