WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Shutterbug- You made it easy. Cept the slight turn onto the Golden Road.

Beer store/airplane/parking lot. Good you didn't send them the back way.

Still need a map. Remember moose!

Default 100 mile wilderness

First off.. prepare for some seriously high water crossings. Several streams need to be forded. Normally no big deal but this year.. might be waist to chest deep in spots.

Second, yeah you might bring a tarp for just in case you won't make the next shelter. But you don't have to worry about there being enough room. The weather has been so lousy this year I would think that most from the northeasterners would have better sense than to be out hiiking, and most of the northbounders probably have gotten sick of walking in mud and deep puddles day after day.. though I could be wrong on this. . What a stinkin wet summer

Bugs will be coming out in a few weeks (been too cool and wet so far). I would suggest you bring as much of the strongest bug repellent you can possibly find. None of this off spray stuff.. go for 100+ % deet. You will be in prime bug season.

David

Default food storage

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis331 View Post
    I will be hiking the 100 Mile wilderness in a couple weeks and I had a couple questions for some of you experts and those who have previously done the this section. There could be 2, 3, or 4 of us, but I would guess most likely 2 or 3. We are all in decent shape and are athletic. I have done some day hiking this season but nothing of this magnitude yet this year. We are going to try to pack light but we're also going to make sure we have everything we need.

We are most likely heading SOUTH from the Abol Bridge...

1. Should we pack an ultralight tent? (2-3)lbs tent for 2 or 3 men. I know there are lean-to's throughout the wilderness but I'm wondering if they are full or if we don't make the lean-to's daily? The tent is very light so as of now we are going to take it...

2. Anybody have tips for storing our food at night to protect it against the animals? It seems like hanging it from a tree is a good idea but should we separate it from out packs at night and put the food in a mesh bag or something? Any tips/safety advice for us in this category would be amazing.

3. Anybody remember a rough idea of the daily mileage breakdowns...what days can you really push it, what days/locations are slow?

Thank you very much.
    I really appreciate it!
    --Chris
    Sorry.. one more post.. for got about your food storage question.

Hang food bag from mouse hang in shelter. You want to protect from mice. Bears are no problem what so ever. I doubt you will even see one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    What a stinkin wet summer

David
    Slugs are out, in the sun. Never have seen that before. Pretty much summed it up when I had a slug go up the front window the other day.

Images

My advice on food hanging would be to forget everything you think you know about keep mice and red squirrels out of food. None of it works in the 100 mile. The mice and red squirrels in there are crazy. They walk right around the rope and tuna can type hangers, climb down any length of rope hung from a tree. I know some of you are going to think I am crazy but I would carry a bear canister in the 100 mile, not for bears but to keep the other critters out of my food. The piece of mind while sleeping is worth the extra weight.

My second piece of advice would be to sleep in a tent. The shelters in the 100 mile are overrun with mice. The tent will also keep you away from the bugs. I would recommend 3 separate tents, much cooler for sleeping than 3 people in one tent.

Some of the shelters in the 100 mile have buckets that can be used for killing mice.

Fill the buck with about 4 inches of water

add a little peanut butter to the bucket just above the water line.

Place bucket against wall or support post of shelter.

This is a good method of killing mice and helps keep them out of your food.
    Pootz 07

Thank you Shutterbug!!! Yes... I didn't realize how many 'ABOLs' there were! LOL!
    The cost of a thing is the amount of what I call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.

Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by vonfrick View Post
    ps what kind of tent do you have that holds 3 men for under 3 pounds??? i want it! (the tent, not the men you perverts! )
    Does warraghiyagey know about this?

Please NOTE all the smilies!!!
    "If I get started in the right direction, I just might get to where I want to go." -- Tab Benoit

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Shutterbug- You made it easy. Cept the slight turn onto the Golden Road.

Beer store/airplane/parking lot. Good you didn't send them the back way.

Still need a map. Remember moose!
    Isn't there a dam right there too? Across from the store? Campground?
    "If I get started in the right direction, I just might get to where I want to go." -- Tab Benoit

Images

Yes. But it doesn't really look like a dam. So I would not use that as a landmark. Floatplane wings 20' or so above the roadbed usually catches my eye!

Kind of looks like a retaining wall to me.

Images

1. Should we pack an ultralight tent? (2-3)lbs tent for 2 or 3 men. I know there are lean-to's throughout the wilderness but I'm wondering if they are full or if we don't make the lean-to's daily? The tent is very light so as of now we are going to take it...
    Every man should have his own separate tent.

Panzer

Journal Entries
    Images

Hikers, man your tents!
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Default Mud tons of mud but no bugs

Just finished 35 miles of the 100 mile wilderness - the mud was crazy - could hardly ever take a step without being in mud. Bugs were suprisingly non existent. Hiked 2 hours in pouring rain to get to Wadleigh Stream lean to at 4:30 and it was completly full - definetly bring a tent!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
    Hany your food. A bear ate our daughter's bug spray a couple of years ago, and this was in the 100 miles.
    I had no idea bears cared for bug spray!

What kind was it so I can make sure I don't use any. Must have had a nice fruity or herbal scent.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++