WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 100 Mile Wilderness--Questions?!?!

I will be hiking the 100 Mile wilderness in a couple weeks and I had a couple questions for some of you experts and those who have previously done the this section. There could be 2, 3, or 4 of us, but I would guess most likely 2 or 3. We are all in decent shape and are athletic. I have done some day hiking this season but nothing of this magnitude yet this year. We are going to try to pack light but we're also going to make sure we have everything we need.

We are most likely heading SOUTH from the Abol Bridge...

1. Should we pack an ultralight tent? (2-3)lbs tent for 2 or 3 men. I know there are lean-to's throughout the wilderness but I'm wondering if they are full or if we don't make the lean-to's daily? The tent is very light so as of now we are going to take it...

2. Anybody have tips for storing our food at night to protect it against the animals? It seems like hanging it from a tree is a good idea but should we separate it from out packs at night and put the food in a mesh bag or something? Any tips/safety advice for us in this category would be amazing.

3. Anybody remember a rough idea of the daily mileage breakdowns...what days can you really push it, what days/locations are slow?

Thank you very much.
    I really appreciate it!
    --Chris

as for #1, bring the tent. can't count on a spot in a shelter.

#2, either hang your food in the shelter or sleep with it in your tent

#3 we averaged about 11-12 miles a day last year with quite a bit of rain, took our time for sure and enjoyed it though!

Trail Adopter/ Section Hiker/ Future Thru-Hiker Pathfinder's Avatar
    Images

1. I would definately bring a tent like the one you're talking about, and I would seperate the parts between you so one person isn't carrying it all.

2. I would buy stuff sacks made for holding food or clothing and hang the food bags on one of the mice-thingys in the shelters. You can also make one of your own if you like and hang your food in a tree.

3. Not sure on specifics, but there are some stream crossings that may slow you down in spots along with White Cap Mountain and other peaks on the way.

ps what kind of tent do you have that holds 3 men for under 3 pounds??? i want it! (the tent, not the men you perverts! )

Thanks guys. So far so good. A little confused about the response to the second question, specifically
    #2, either hang your food in the shelter or sleep with it in your tent
    Wouldn't this attract animals? Is it safer nearby us or away from us?

Thanks guys,

We are definitely bringing a tent and probably an ultralight stove (jetboil, etc) we haven't figured it out yet though. We would split up the equipment so all the packs were about the same weight. Especially if we have 3 men.

Thanks,

Chris

Trail Adopter/ Section Hiker/ Future Thru-Hiker Pathfinder's Avatar
    Images

Mice are going to run around in the shelter anyway so it really doesn't matter. I hang my food in the trees sometimes if I'm tenting out and I don't want to disturb the people in the shelter when I leave in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis331 View Post
    Thanks guys. So far so good. A little confused about the response to the second question, specifically

Wouldn't this attract animals? Is it safer nearby us or away from us?
    never a problem. really.

Default Hanging your food.

I will be hiking the 100 Mile wilderness in a couple weeks and I had a couple questions for some of you experts and those who have previously done the this section. There could be 2, 3, or 4 of us, but I would guess most likely 2 or 3. We are all in decent shape and are athletic. I have done some day hiking this season but nothing of this magnitude yet this year. We are going to try to pack light but we're also going to make sure we have everything we need.

1. Should we pack an ultralight tent? (2-3)lbs tent for 2 or 3 men. I know there are lean-to's throughout the wilderness but I'm wondering if they are full or if we don't make the lean-to's daily? The tent is very light so as of now we are going to take it...

2. Anybody have tips for storing our food at night to protect it against the animals? It seems like hanging it from a tree is a good idea but should we separate it from out packs at night and put the food in a mesh bag or something? Any tips/safety advice for us in this category would be amazing.

3. Anybody remember a rough idea of the daily mileage breakdowns...what days can you really push it, what days/locations are slow?

Thank you very much.
    I really appreciate it!
    --Chris
    1. Yes, take some kind of shelter. I much prefer a hammock to a tent and I never share a tent with other men. I can hardly stand to smell myself after five or six days.

2. I see that some others have suggested hanging your food in the shelter. I wouldn't hang my food in the shelter in the 100 Mile Wilderness. While I personally have only seen one bear in the 100 Mile Wilderness, I have seen lots of bear scat. A couple of years ago, I took a side trail off of the AT. Only a quarter of a mile from the AT, I came across a bear baiting site. In Maine it is legal to bait bears. To make sure that other animals don't eat the bait, they hang the buckets of donuts in a tree about 4 feet off of the ground. The bear bait buckets are not that different from a hiker's food bag. To be safe, hang your food bag 8 feet or more off the ground and away from where you are going to sleep. Why risk losing your food to a bear or attacting a bear to your sleep area?

3. For me the difficulty depends on pack weight and weather. One year I hiked in the rain for the first three days. It really slowed me down because of the slick areas. I fell several times.

The second issue is pack weight. The south bound climb up Whitecap Mountain is tough if you have a heavy pack. Plan carefully to keep your pack weight as low as possible.

Shutterbug

Garlic
    Images

I agree with everything posted so far, and would just add that your first 50 miles SOBO are going to be flatter profile and generally better trail tread than your second 50, IIRC from my two NOBO hikes through there. I remember maybe 10 really rugged miles south of the ford of the Pleasant River, otherwise pretty fair trail last year in early July.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I like Life,Life likes Me,Life and I very fully Agree.. Saint Alfonzo's Avatar
    Images

Hello, Nemesis 331.. May I suggest, get some head nets. Ben's 100% bug repellent. Bring some rain gear. Use the tent. Don't forget your med. insurance info. I hang my food. Lots of mud ,roots & rocks, so bring something to put on your feet when you cross streams and take your boots off at night. Bring some Benadryl if bug bites bother you and you swell up from the bites... Have a SAFE trip and a Good time.
    They never get old, They always stay new, Those three little words, PLEASE and THANK YOU.

Images

Default ...if....

any of you have to bail out, get off trail, you can "escape" at Pollywog stream bridge crossing. go left( if SOBO) to Nahtmakanta Lake camps, they have phone service, they may help. Next will be WHL, after that, next crossing will be Cooper brook/Jo-Mary rd. crossing. Go over bridge that services the road, can camp in gravel pit to your right if needed. Can hitch here, may be a bit of a wait. If need help fast, a walk up the road(away from the bridge) in 4 miles will get you to the maned gate at Henderson, and help (verses 5-6 miles to Jo-Mary campground. Pretty much after that your on your own. After Crawford pond as you climb up from the pond and come to the dirt road crossing there, logging activity up the road to your south (left if SOBO). You may be able to summon a live body. Can hitch here too but will be a long wait/walk while trying to, unless logging or fisherman are in the area. (Loggers during the week, fisherman/campers on the weekends.) If'n you make it over White Cap and over the W. Branch of the Pleasant river, follow to the left out of the river to parking lot if you need to bail here. None of these intersecting dirt logging roads are a sure thing, only a dirt road out to civilization eventually. After crossing Long Pond stream you can go south (left if SOBO) as you come up the bank and follow ATV trail out to dirt road 1 mile. Very muddy, water holey, but hikable when in need to get out. Large water hole at end of this trail, knee deep. Go right up over hill toward Borestone Mt. santuary and follow out. Will eventually find life/house or someone ATV'ing.
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Hany your food. A bear ate our daughter's bug spray a couple of years ago, and this was in the 100 miles.

Unless you want to be ridiculously uncomfortable do NOT bring bugnets/headnets. . . . just 100% DEET. . . . nets are ABSOLUTELY uneccesary. . . except on your shelter. . .

Journal Entries

Thank you very much.
    I really appreciate it!
    --Chris
    Wise folks always take a tent -- or at least a light tarp.

Bears are rarely -- like never -- a problem in the wilderness. Hunters keep Maine bears, wild bears -- especially in those 100 miles.

If you are not in top condition, plan on 10 days. No one to my knowledge has ever seriously regretted planning for 10 days. I mean, what is an extra 4 pounds, for a chance to experience some of the best country in the east, a couple of extra days?

Weary

Does anyone know where I can find driving directions to Abol? I am driving there on Sunday to hike Baxter (prior to returning to Abol, getting my dog, and heading SOBO)... I cannot find a physical address or directions, and they have no phone! Help!
    The cost of a thing is the amount of what I call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.

Henry David Thoreau

Images

You need a Maine Gazetteer. Easiest/safest.

I could tell you how, but then you would be screwed
    if you took a left turn somewhere. If you can't get it to your satisfaction after looking at at least a AAA Maine road map, PM me. More than one way to get there, kinda screwwy, but hey, that's ME.

I hiked through the 100 Mile Wilderness a couple years ago in late June and the head bug net saved my sanity. Where it with a hat or visor and it won't be haning in your eyes and aggravating you. It has been so wet in Maine so far this year I would suspect the bugs are going to be plentiful. Also, plan to have plenty of food. I planned for ten days but ended up having to move fast and get out in seven days because I didn't realize just how hungry I would be and ate far more than expected. Its no fun to run out of food. You get ravenous out there. Also, bringing a tent is a great idea..sharing a tent is not really. You will stink and god forbid it gets hot out...close quarters in a tent...stinking to high heaven...NOT GOOD. Have a great time. It is a gorgeous hike.

Default driving directions

Quote Originally Posted by Esperanza420 View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find driving directions to Abol? I am driving there on Sunday to hike Baxter (prior to returning to Abol, getting my dog, and heading SOBO)... I cannot find a physical address or directions, and they have no phone! Help!
    You can get driving directions here:

http://www.visitmaine.com/organization/directions/1950/

The important part of the directions are:
    From Millinocket, take ME-157 west
    Turn Right onto Katahdin Ave
    Katahdin Ave becomes Bates St
    Bates St becomes Millinocket Rd
    Slight Left onto Golden Road (the turn onto Golden Road is the only tricky part)
    Follow the Golden Road to Abol Bridge
    The trailhead is just past the Bridge

Shutterbug

Default I may have misread your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Esperanza420 View Post
    I may have misread your post. I assumed that you were driving to the Abol Bridge General Store on Golden Road and not to the Abol Camp Ground in Baxter State Park because Dogs are not allowed in Baxter State Park.

If you are driving to the Abol Campground in Baxter State Park, the directions are the same except that you won't make the turn on to the Golden Road.

Shutterbug

Images

If you carry a jetboil make sure you have a windscreen it will not heat if there is a breeze. I actually prefer my msr pocket rocket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++