WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Z-rest sleeping pad

Anyone here use a Z-Rest pad?
    Debating between this and a women'e prolite and a Z-Rest.
    WOndering how comfortable the Z-Rest is compared to other CC foam pads. Used to use a ridgerest, but gave it up because I would wake up sore and restless, went to a self inflatable, but they weigh a lot. Wondering if the Z is more comfotable, or is it just for insulation like other CC foam pads.

Images

I have one, Find it a little tough on the old bones - So I went back to my Thermarest - well worth the extra weight..

Images

I used mine a couple of time, then i cut it up for sit-pads. I use a prolite3 now

For sleeping comfort, a Z-rest is just another CCF pad. I have found the Z-rest to be much more versatile than a roll up pad. Take it off your pack, unfold it once and you have a pad for the picnic table bench. Unfold it a couple of times and its a padded chair. Given the right contour, any CCF pad makes a great lounge chair.

Images

Z-rest is the same as a Ridgerest, except it folds.

For comfort, go with an inflatable.

Images

I find the Zrest more comfortable than most foam pads, but not as comfortable as any thermarest type inflatable mattress I've had. Some air mattresses are even more comfortable.

On the other hand Zrest is lighter than the thermarest mattresses except neoair ($$$). I used it quite a while, but now my aging bones need a little more comfort.

Images

Woman's thermarest med. Use in my hammock when I may have to go to ground in shelter/tent area's only...while hiking.
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Hike smarter, not harder.

Therma-rests are so...................90s. Get yourself a BA insulated air, POE Ether Thermo 6, or a Neo-air (which is Thermarest, just developed to recover market share from the previous 2 manufacturers).

Images

The Z rest is actually very thin -- thinner than a Ridgerest. The egg-crate pattern molded in the pad makes it squishy and provides a little more padding. But, I find I am too heavy and crush the pattern flat. Then it's just a very thin pad.

I would love to be able to hike with a 3/4 Z-Rest all the time, but for me it's only useful as insulation in my hammock in the summer.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I tried one and I loved the convenience, but it lacked in comfort a bit. I ended up going with an inflatable pad.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

I carry the Z-lite all the time but I've never slept on the ground with it. I use it for hammock insulation, and find it very comfortable to sit on when folded in half. It's very lightweight and super comfy to sleep on in a hammock. I'm sure that I wouldn't want to sleep on the ground with it everynight...

I use the z-lite on the ground all the time. I like it but I find it's an upgrade for me as for years I hiked with a walmart blue pad. I never had much luck with inflatable pads and I dont believe they're worth the carried weight that is associated with them. I have had 3 or 4 and every one started to leak. I say go with the z-lite since its so much lighter and same rating as the z-rest

Garlic
    Images

I have used a Z-rest for many years and am happy enough with it, but I don't disagree with everyone above that it is not the softest pad. I cannot sleep on AT shelter floors with it, for instance, but that doesn't affect my lifestyle since I can't manage to sleep in shelters, anyway. So I look for softer ground to sleep on. The reasons I carry it are: lighter weight (I only use six sections at six ounces), cheaper, it's nice support for my frameless pack, and it's absolutely reliable--never been fatally punctured. So far, the pros outweigh the cons for me.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I still use thermarest because I have a bunch of them in different sizes. The only time I had a problem with any thermarest was the first night on the CDT. I did not see the little burrs all over the ground. I didn't have a hole in my thermarest...I had over 100 holes. There wasn't much comfort after that.

I carry a short z-rest with me because it is 14ozs lighter than my regular length prolite pad. The neoair is attractive for the weight savings but at $150 I think I can wait a while.

For back sleepers the Z-Rest is often plenty in warm weather. For side sleepers and cooler weather better go with some more padding.

my dog and i both used a z-rest for a many years, never heard her complain about them!

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

My dog loves a Thermorest spread out on thick, soft grass. Thick, soft grass is, however, very hard to find. I despise Thermorests and Z-Rests but love my 2 Ridgerests. It just seems to be an individual matter. I look forward to the comfort of my hammock next year.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

I'm a side sleeper, and I still use a Z-rest. Mostly for the weight and no malfunctions or repair kit reasons.
    I sleep on shelter floors no problem.
    But then again, as long as I have a good pillow, I can just about sleep on a rock with no padding... hence the Z-rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Z-rest is the same as a Ridgerest, except it folds.

For comfort, go with an inflatable.
    Not quite. It's lighter, a little softer, not as warm, and has a much, much shorter useful life (especially for heavier folks).
    Try a Big Agnes or a self-inflator. Before I got firmly entrenched in hammocking I almost bought a Torsolite pad from www.backpackinglight.com It's a bit shorter than most pads, but I used a 3/4 length Thermarest for 20 years before trying other things (I still have it).
    Most pads are too hot for me in the summer. All of them (except open cell foam) are waterproof and non-breathable - sweat makers.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++