WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: Greedy ****ers

Wow, this thread has lasted about 10 pages longer than I thought it would.... (big yawn)
    Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

Twenty more than it should have, 'cause the OP can not back up his garbage.
    Last edited by Alligator; 06-18-2009 at 09:06. Reason: Personal attacks

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Twenty more than it should have, 'cause the OP can not back up his garbage.

holy jeezum, where'd you get this?
    Last edited by Alligator; 06-18-2009 at 09:07. Reason: quote edited previously

Post #389, #390, #393 along with the OP are serious charges to make and sound like trolling firestarting BS to me. If the guy isn't willing to give up the name of the outfit that he is whining about and wants to continue to slander, or as I say, lie about people, I'm calling him out on it.

Images

I really can't believe someone is out on the trail with no money. Simply a beggar on the trail. If you can't afford to hike, go get a job and then hike when you can.

If you're telling the truth here you need to name the Hostel. They deserve a chance to reply and so do people who had good experiences here. Quite simply, I've never heard anyone else with a story like this and I've talked to LOTS of hikers.

It really sounds like there were a bunch of jealous punks who thought someone who had worked hard enough or been smart enough with their money to afford a nice house near the trail owed a bunch unemployed punks a free day of fun, lodging and food.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

If he was out for some trolling firestarting BS, wouldn't he, oh, I don't know... name the particular hostel?
    Last edited by Alligator; 06-18-2009 at 09:10. Reason: personal attacks

It's already been noted once to watch the personal attacks. The converstation is important as to how interactions between service providers and hikers can go, so keep it civil.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyw View Post
    1.) Old people, we realize that you think kids are scumbags and want things for free, but some hikers are broke, tired, and wouldn't be staying otherwise, if you want people to pay you, don't be so deceiving. Maybe you could start by paying taxes? Judging by the gaudy house on all those acres, they certainly could afford to.
    hell yes

I sincerly apologize for my harsh statements. They were inappropriate and uncalled for. If a reputed hostel operator is using the system to recruit farm labor or cheating hikers, the OP is doing us a service by making us aware of something we should be aware of, if the story is true.

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    I sincerly apologize for my harsh statements. They were inappropriate and uncalled for. If a reputed hostel operator is using the system to recruit farm labor or cheating hikers, the OP is doing us a service by making us aware of something we should be aware of, if the story is true.
    Well said. . .

Images

The situation the OP gave was pretty clear, and I don't see how it was unlikely. Girl came in with *some* money, not much, but maybe she was planning on hitting an ATM down the trail. She did some hard labor, paid more than she expected for her dinner, didn't have any money left after that for a "donation." Then after she left, the Host badmouthed her for being cheap.

How is that unlikely, and who the heck are we to say that it didn't happen that way. And why in this case should he call out the host specifically when all he'll get is a bunch of people saying "they would never do that, that host is the second coming of christ!"

It could be taken as a general warning, much like the guidebook warning about hitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Another point to remember is that by becoming an actual business, i.e. a place that lodges or feeds people for money, it makes the hostel subject to all sorts of rules, regulations, inspections, dictates and whims of town officials, health inspectors, you name it. Many trail facilities simply don't have the means to re-model, to put in separate exits, lighting systems, venting systems, new appliances, upgraded plumbing, etc. By operating off the grid, and not being an official "business", and by accepting donations from guests instead of actually charging for lodging or food, it makes it much easier for these places to stay open.
    Yea, it would be totally crazy for them to do things like comply with "Health Inspectors" and "Fire Marshals" or "Income Taxes". Its a legal liability criminal negligence nightmare waiting to happen.

Not that I would ever skip out on a bill for services (Last time i stayed at Upper Goose Pond I gave a $50 donation), but Hostels set themselves up to be stiffed. In order to circumvent certain rules that the rest of the hospitality industry abides by they work on a donation basis.

At the same time, hikers who do accept these services without any sort of compensation (either cash or work) are crazy to think that they will not get a poor reputation for such actions.
    Adventure is the invitation to the common person, to become uncommon. ~ wm
    Bivouac is a French word for "mistake". ~ Ed Viesturs

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    Bless your heart.
    Only Southern folks get this post......LOL!

Images

Just like Shelters I don't stay in hostels when I'm in the woods I'm in the woods. I know folks like them same as shelters but they’re not for me. This has been one miserable hiking season with all the rain, but no-one should take their frustration out on others. Don't want to sound preachy but if you do to others as you would like them to do to you things in life go allot more easily
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Quote Originally Posted by leeki pole View Post
    Only Southern folks get this post......LOL!
    I get it because I watch blue collar radio on serious.

You missed the point.

They are not required to comply with many of these rules and regulations precisely because they are NOT licensed, registered, or incorporated businesses.

Places that are open to the public and that charge for meals or lodging are indeed expected to comply with these things.

Places that do NOT charge (or places that are not available to the general public) do not have to meet these standards.

I.e. if someone decides to put up hikers in their own home and feed them, they are NOT subject to having town officials dropping by or poking around to check up on things. This is a private enterprise in a private household. Private citizens have the right to invite anyone they wish onto their property. And as to this being a liability nightmare waiting to happen, I think you've exaggerated things greatly. For heaven's sake, if someone invited me into their home and I didn't feel comfortable about sleeping or eating there, well I wouldn't sleep or eat there. Pretty simple. Nobody is ever compelled to patronize a hiker hostel.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    I get it because I watch blue collar radio on serious.

I watch my Sirius Radio too. It just sits there and grins. But it sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    You missed the point.

They are not required to comply with many of these rules and regulations precisely because they are NOT licensed, registered, or incorporated businesses.

Places that are open to the public and that charge for meals or lodging are indeed expected to comply with these things.

Places that do NOT charge (or places that are not available to the general public) do not have to meet these standards.

I.e. if someone decides to put up hikers in their own home and feed them, they are NOT subject to having town officials dropping by or poking around to check up on things. This is a private enterprise in a private household. Private citizens have the right to invite anyone they wish onto their property. And as to this being a liability nightmare waiting to happen, I think you've exaggerated things greatly. For heaven's sake, if someone invited me into their home and I didn't feel comfortable about sleeping or eating there, well I wouldn't sleep or eat there. Pretty simple. Nobody is ever compelled to patronize a hiker hostel.
    yep. and if they did comply, they would be called a motel... and charge motel prices. amazing that people don't get simple concepts like this.

You all know that when JAK's medication wears off and morning cartoons are over, he's going to submit another 80 posts about the coercion, double standards, hidden meanings, hostel codes, and double entendres in today's entries.

I'm joking! Don't cuss me out, JAK!

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
++ New Posts ++