WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

Default Yogurt on the Trail

I know that this isn't exactly UL because it uses a thermos not to mention that it takes a little time and planning...

However, I feel compelled to ask... have you ever done it... made yogurt on the trail? Just wondering if there was anyone out here as crazy about fresh yogurt as I am...

We do this on some of our 10 day trips . Shocking, I know, but there are also 3 of us so the added weight of the thermos isn't really a big deal.

How does one make yogurt on the trail. . . recipe??

Images

Well it isn't exactly a recipe... more of a technique. Sometimes I will make yogurt cheese but I will explain that technique later.

Trail Yogurt from A Fork in the Trail © 2008

Dehydration Time: none
    Makes 2–3 servings

Making homemade yogurt is very easy to do on the trail. You will need a 2-cup, high-quality, very clean, stainless steel thermos for this, and it is one of those recipes actually works better with powdered milk. It is best to make yogurt in the late afternoon the day before as it takes the culture some time to do its job. You should probably test this recipe at home first to get the hang of it. Once you do, you’ll be making fresh yogurt on many of your trips.

8 tablespoons milk powder
    1 teaspoon yogurt culture powder
    1 3/4 cups water
    Honey or vanilla sugar (optional)

At Home
    Measure the milk powder accurately and put in a small ziplock freezer bag. Put the culture in a snack-sized sandwich bag and place that in the bag with the milk powder. Be sure to include a copy of the directions below.

At Camp
    Boil 1/4 cup of water and pour it in your thermos to warm the metal. Mix 1 3/4 cup water and milk powder together in a pan. Scald the milk by heating it until the edges start to bubble and it reaches the boiling point. Be careful not to boil though. Remove the milk from the heat and cool until the milk is warmer than body temperature but not overly hot. If the milk is too hot, you will kill the culture; and if it’s too cool, the yogurt will not set.

Discard the now cooled water out of the thermos. Then put the yogurt culture in the thermos and add a little bit of the warm milk. Stir until the powder has dissolved. Then pour the remaining milk into the thermos. Stir well and secure the lid tightly. Put the thermos in a large ziplock bag and then inside a cozy. At bedtime take it into your sleeping bag with you. If you are a restless sleeper wrap the cozy in some clothing and set it beside you where you won’t knock it over. Avoid disturbing it as much as possible; do not shake or stir. By morning, you will have yogurt. If you don't like unsweetened yogurt, add a little honey or vanilla sugar to it before serving.

Tips
    You need as much milk powder as you would normally use to make 2 cups of milk even though you will only be making 1 3/4 cups. These extra milk solids make for a richer and better texture.

The yogurt may not incubate if you use old culture. Freeze-dried berries go well with yogurt, and it makes a great topping for a bowl of granola.

Cool idea I have made homemade yogurt at home with a yogurt maker and it was so much better than the stuff you get in the store but your thermos idea is pretty neat gona have to copy and save the recipe thanks.

Images

I'm doing this again on our upcoming trip so I will try and remember to take photos. We are going to have it with berries and granola I think... or maybe some peaches. It's also very economical.

I make it at home all the time just using a mason jar or or plastic container and a warm spot (over the heat vent, on top of the fridge or next to my food dehydrator if I am running it). Works great and you don't need to waste any extra electricity using a yogurt maker. If I make it at home I use 2% milk and add a tablespoon or two of powdered. The extra milk solids from the powder are a great texture boost.

Thanks for the recipe. . . think I'll try it at home first. . .

Images

My yogurt intake on trail is usually wrapped around a raisin!! W-W

Images

warraghiyagey - at home first is a really good idea... it's not for everyone on the trail or every trip but it sure is a treat on some

world-wide - I've never seen those before - I wonder if I could make my own in the food dehydrator?

Images

Wow... My mother used to make this when we were growing up. She would start with a cup of plain yogurt as her culture, though. My kids don't think it's yogurt unless it tastes like whipped cream, there is fruit on the bottom and/or crunchies in a little cup on top.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

I'm lucky that my 8 year old actually prefers this. His little friends weren't too impressed though... and we do add a little honey to it.

I learned the technique when I was a child - from my friend's Mom who was a really sweet Italian lady insisting that everything be from scratch. She did the same thing as your Mom and used a cup of yogurt as her culture. I do that too... but 1/2 cup with the second and third batches and only at home. I just reserve a little of the plain yogurt and use it in place of the starter. I find by the fourth of fifth use I need to use the culture powder again.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieAnn View Post
    world-wide - I've never seen those before - I wonder if I could make my own in the food dehydrator?
    If anyone can, I think it would be you!!

Images

Found them in the grocery store this morning... yum! We went to a shop that I don't normally go to... and there they were... staring me right in the face. Thanks for mentioning it (and it was much easier than making my own )

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieAnn View Post
    warraghiyagey - at home first is a really good idea... it's not for everyone on the trail or every trip but it sure is a treat on some

maybe not as they are tumbled as they dry then are finished with a thin layer of canuba wax and polished.

I often think, if you can buy it inexspensive at the store then let them do the work. You generally don't make tarter sauce, mayonaise, and peanut butter from scratch as an example. I do things on my dryer more to save money and time, I love banana chips and dried tomato's but they are cheap at the store. So I make a higher quality jerky and other things.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I might make those things from scratch Wise Old Owl. You are definitely right about the raisins though. The yogurt on them seems reminiscent of a confectioner's coating. Better just to buy them as it would require a lot of effort to make that coating. Never having had them before I thought it would be more simple.

Have you ever made your own raisins? I know it's cheaper/easier to buy but I did it not that long ago just to see and they were very good. Not something I would do often but I had some grapes that I need to use up and I hate seeing things end up in the composter so I dried them.

Images

Here's a couple photos from our trip...

The empty yogurt Thermos...

And the yummiest breakfast treat... fresh yogurt with blue agave nectar and a mix of granola, seeds and fruit...

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    You generally don't make tarter sauce, mayonaise, and peanut butter from scratch as an example.
    What's hard about making your own peanut butter? You grind up peanuts. The end.

You don't need that salt, sugar and hydrogenated oil, and leaving it out is easy.
    Frosty

There are lots of people who make more things from scratch than you might think.

The stuff we make ourselves is so much better (better for you, better tasting) than commercially available items.

In my house we are starting to hate high fructose corn syrup. It's everywhere!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    There are lots of people who make more things from scratch than you might think.

The stuff we make ourselves is so much better (better for you, better tasting) than commercially available items.

In my house we are starting to hate high fructose corn syrup. It's everywhere!
    I've noticed a great trend with people getting back to making their own foods. I even have friends who make their own cheese. As chknfngrs states, it is more common than people think. There is also something really satisfying about making things yourself. It's not for everyone but we also like to have more control over what we eat.

What I love about making my own yogurt is that it isn't sickening sweet like the flavored yogurt you buy and plain yogurt from the grocery store just doesn't seem to have the same flavor. Not sure if that is because of processing or something else but I really do prefer the taste of homemade. I know it sounds complicated but it really is so simple to make on the trail (just don't use soy milk or almond milk because it won't turn out - has to be plain old powdered cow's milk).

I generally try to add a little sweetness - agave nectar this time. That is only because of Tobias (my little boy) as he likes it. For myself, I would just eat it with the addition of the fruit and granola.

Most times I start my yogurt in the late afternoon. On this particular trip we had to have a layover because of our friend injuring his ankle (very bad sprain with some tearing) so I made it around 3 pm. By 10 pm the yogurt would have been ready to consume but I left it over night to thicken a little. In the morning it was separated into the solid and whey. This is normal and I just gave it a stir. You could pour that off for a thicker yogurt.

Sometimes, if there are leftovers, I go as far as suspending the solids from a piece of cheesecloth in the top of the thermos as we travel. By lunch the yogurt is even more thick and I add herbs and garlic and spread it on our bagels. It isn't as thick as cream cheese but thick enough to be spreadable and not run all over the place. It's really nice with some smoked salmon too.

I try to avoid HFCS for the most part (even before I was diagnosed with diabetes). It amazes me what has HFCS and it is often in things like bread and also stuffing mixes as a softening agent as it helps keep the bread feeling fresher for longer. Bleh.

Deciding to treat myself at NOC, I had granola and yogurt for breakfast, and then headed on the trail. It was a hot day. Two hours later I felt so bad, I had to lie down for an hour in the shade. It wasn't a good idea...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ithai View Post
    Deciding to treat myself at NOC, I had granola and yogurt for breakfast, and then headed on the trail. It was a hot day. Two hours later I felt so bad, I had to lie down for an hour in the shade. It wasn't a good idea...
    That's odd - was the yogurt off or something... or were you merely dehydrated from the heat?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++