WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Trail Magic just for thru-hikers?

This is something I'm not sure of the protocol for.

In my section of Virginia on many occasions I have come upon coolers of "trail magic." They generally have a note with them stating it is trail magic.

I never take any except one time when I actually ran into the guy who left it and he told me to take what I wanted.

I always assumed it was for thru-hikers only and a couple of times when my kids came up on it they were disappointed when I wouldn't let them take any.

I think I got the idea that it was only for thru-hikers when I saw a sign on one that said, "for thru-hikers only."

On my last section hike one of the thru hikers (Miss Muster) told me that was BS, that anybody doing a long hike should take it.

What is the protocol for this?

I would guess that trail magic is probably intended for anyone doing a long hike unless the note says otherwise. Personally, I would never take any if I was just on a day hike or an overnighter unless I was really in NEED of it (dehydrated or something). I just wondered if there are any unwritten rules on this.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Images

Folks can give to others as they choose.

I'm pretty sure there's no manual for trail magic rules.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

Magic is magic. I bet section hikers get thirsty too.
    Some do say "for thru-hikers only" and I guess that is their prerogative, but in my book a hiker is a hiker. Some just smell worse than others.
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

Smith Gap, Pennsylvania - SEE your (The AT Guide) for more information

Quote Originally Posted by Lemni Skate View Post
    This is something I'm not sure of the protocol for.

In my section of Virginia on many occasions I have come upon coolers of "trail magic." They generally have a note with them stating it is trail magic.

I never take any except one time when I actually ran into the guy who left it and he told me to take what I wanted.

I always assumed it was for thru-hikers only and a couple of times when my kids came up on it they were disappointed when I wouldn't let them take any.

I think I got the idea that it was only for thru-hikers when I saw a sign on one that said, "for thru-hikers only."

On my last section hike one of the thru hikers (Miss Muster) told me that was BS, that anybody doing a long hike should take it.

What is the protocol for this?

I would guess that trail magic is probably intended for anyone doing a long hike unless the note says otherwise. Personally, I would never take any if I was just on a day hike or an overnighter unless I was really in NEED of it (dehydrated or something). I just wondered if there are any unwritten rules on this.
    Take It.

And I don't mean take a drink, I mean remove the entire cooler from the trail, and dispose of it. I know alot of folks may disagree with this, I am just a messenger and a trail maintainer, I don't make up the rules-suggestions.

The ATC does, see.......... http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site...rail_Magic.htm

The following is from the ATC list for providing trail magic........
    See... http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/...ions8-3-07.pdf

Be present if you provide food or drink
    . Unattended items—including their packaging—can harm wildlife that consumes them, or hikers, when unrefrigerated products grow bacteria or become contaminated. Unattended items are considered litter and their presence detracts from the wildland character of backcountry environments. Dispense food and drink in person, and carry out any trash or leftovers.

Images

Well I dont think that there is any rules to taking it or not taking it. If you feel bad then do some trail magic yourself that way when you see some trail magic on your next section and you want to take a drink or what ever it is you wont feel as bad. Help others and it will help you.

Smith Gap, Pennsylvania - SEE your (The AT Guide) for more information

Quote Originally Posted by snowhoe View Post
    Well I dont think that there is any rules to taking it or not taking it. If you feel bad then do some trail magic yourself that way when you see some trail magic on your next section and you want to take a drink or what ever it is you wont feel as bad. Help others and it will help you.
    Wrong answer,...... see last post.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post

I'm pretty sure there's no manual for trail magic rules.
    .........................TRAIL MAGIC RULE MANUAL................
    ----------------------------------by----------------------------------'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Images

Hey The Mechanical Man, are you the one with the dome house and the kid that likes to jump over hikers on his bike? If so, thanks for the great stay in 08!

Now then, I didn't see any 'rules' in the links you provided. There were some 'suggestions' in the second link, but no rules. You are a maintainer and know better than I do, but don't most Trail Angels come back for their coolers? I know most folks I hiked with in 08 sat down and enjoyed the drink. Which meant the empties went back into the cooler and not discarded somewhere down the Trail.

Are you advocating no unmanned Trail Magic, or no Trail Magic period?
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

Take whatever's left. . . even if it appears that it's a brand new stash. . .

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Take whatever's left. . . even if it appears that it's a brand new stash. . .
    That goes under the 'Finders Keepers' rule. . .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Mechanical Man View Post
    Wrong answer,...... see last post.
    I read it and I didnt see any "rules" about taking or not taking trail magic. Hey congrats on being a trail maintainer. You dont have to be a jerk though

I read it and I didnt see any "rules" about taking or not taking trail magic. Hey congrats on being a trail maintainer. You dont have to be a jerk though
    You haven't dealt with Mechanical Man yet much have you. . . . you are a blessed soul. . .

If I was section hiking and I found a cooler full of sodas with a sign that said "thru hikers only" I would gladly stop, open the cooler, and crack open a cold soda.

Images

You haven't dealt with Mechanical Man yet much have you. . . . you are a blessed soul. . .
    After getting a pm from alligator about my attitude I have tried to calm it down though. Thank goodness metalic man is a trail maintainer because I heard that if he wasnt there to enforce the rules that the trail would be shut down and the ATC wouldnt know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    If I was section hiking and I found a cooler full of sodas with a sign that said "thru hikers only" I would gladly stop, open the cooler, and crack open a cold soda.
    . . . felon . . .

Well, technically a thru hiker is a section hiker until they complete the trail. Or, they could be termed a "potential" thru hiker. I agree with whoever said "section hikers get thirsty too". If you want to partake, do so, and try to pay it back with some sort of trail magic of your own - whether that's a few drinks you pass out, water left somewhere it's in short supply, or a ride into town or back to a trailhead. Or you could leave a buck or two in a Ziploc bag for the trail angel to use to purchase more. If they are leaving a cooler and picking it up later, it's likely that's something they do more than once.

Geezer

After getting a pm from alligator about my attitude
    Nothing wrong with your attitude that I read.
    Frosty

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Nothing wrong with your attitude that I read.
    Well thank you very much.

After getting a pm from alligator about my attitude I have tried to calm it down though. Thank goodness metalic man is a trail maintainer because I heard that if he wasnt there to in force the rules that the trail would be shut down and the ATC wouldnt know what to do.
    Well, Gator's got a full plate for sure. . . I've gotten some well deserved PM's myself. . . but the Mechanical Man does post like he's god's gift to the trail and that's as repugnant and needy as it gets. . . creepy even. . .

Well, Gator's got a full plate for sure. . . I've gotten some well deserved PM's myself. . . but the Mechanical Man does post like he's god's gift to the trail and that's as repugnant and needy as it gets. . . creepy even. . .
    yeppers, and i will be giving his place a wide berth when i get down there

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++