WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Wandering Bull - AT&FT EndToEnder 2005 djessop's Avatar

Default LT thru Late Sept to Mid October??

Hello...

Would it be possible to start a SOBO LT thru mid-late September to finish in mid-October in the South? Or would this be just too damn cold??

Any thoughts? Anyone done this?

Thanks!

David / The Wandering Bull

You certainly could expect some cold nights but it should take around three weeks, you'd be in peak foliage season, it's doable. . . havee a warm sleeping bag and you'll be fine. . . enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by djessop View Post
    Hello...

Would it be possible to start a SOBO LT thru mid-late September to finish in mid-October in the South? Or would this be just too damn cold??

Thanks!

that would be about the best time to go. crowds and bugs are pretty much gone. foliage is awesome. and i like sleeping in the cooler air.

Images

I hiked from Appalachian Gap south to Massachusetts, October 9-20, 2003 and it was one of my favorite hikes on the LT/AT. It was never too cold (subjective) but I did see plenty of rain combined with the cool fall weather. I also had one slightly snowy hike over Stratton. There were also some glorious days with clear skies and of course the incredible floliage.

I wrote it all down here: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=651

p.s. note: my fall hike was the second half of a southbound trip. The first half I did in May 2003.

Images

Check out Duct Tapes site. He includes a GREAT journal about his southbound LT hike which he started on Sept. 27, 2007. Jamies a great photographer and excellent journalist - I've throughly enjoyed each of his trips from my living room.

http://www.downthetrail.com/

He posts on WB fairly often, will probably give you a reply when he sees this.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

As said, beautiful time of year, and just prepare for some 10-20* nights. Don't forget the days get pretty short. Starting late September you'll have about 12 hours of daylight, but you lose 4-5 minutes each day, you lose a full hour over a three week hike.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Any thoughts about water conditions on LT throughtout all of October? Scarcity?

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by on_the_GOEZ View Post
    Any thoughts about water conditions on LT throughtout all of October? Scarcity?
    Plenty of water. Anywhere in the guidebook where it indicates an unreliable source might be sketchy, but water problems in VT are unusual after August. Even in drought conditions, most of the LT has more water than you need.

Driest sections: Journey's end to Laura Woodward is usually bone dry, and Birch Glen to Battell shelter (over Lincoln mountain) can be dry, too. Cooley Glen, Theron Dean, and Puffer shelter water supplies are unreliable in dry seasons. Other than that, you should have no worries, and will cross many reliable springs and streams.

If I had the time and money, I would jump at the chance of hiking the LT this time of year. Go for it!!!
    You are never too old.

I echo what others have said; it's a great time to hike the LT.

Is this 2 years in a row for you? As I recall, you were also hiking the LT last year.

Bring a warm bag and clothes, it can get chilly in the evening and early morning. Be prepared to hike a few miles after dark, as it starts getting dark early and it could take you longer than you think to get to a shelter, especially up north where the trail is pretty rugged. It is a great time of year to do the LT.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

this guy did it around the same time a few years ago. here's a link to his trip. excellent journal

http://www.downthetrail.com/the-long-trail/

I did a sobo that time of year way back when, before they cameras and stuff like that, and it was great! ENJOY!!!

Default not too cold.

Hello...

Thanks!

If you can start at Canadian Border mid sept and finish at Mass border mid October that would be absolutely ideal. Yeah there may be nights in the 20's but so what? No bugs, you will see the fall colors at their peak and you should have crisp air!

David

Default Aug. 15 - Labor Day

Any advice on whether the bugs are gone and the chillier weather is holding offf in late August or early September? I can find average daily temps for the cities, but I know the elevation changes make a lot more difference than the miles. I only have 15-18 days off work so I'm just looking at the non-AT portion of the trail. Thanks.

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by joelrash View Post
    Any advice on whether the bugs are gone and the chillier weather is holding offf in late August or early September? I can find average daily temps for the cities, but I know the elevation changes make a lot more difference than the miles. I only have 15-18 days off work so I'm just looking at the non-AT portion of the trail. Thanks.
    Bugs should be almost non-existent by mid to late August. Temperatures will run mainly in the mid 30's in the higher elevations on clear nights. Figure on daytime temps close to 60. I reached Journey's End on August 29th in 2007 and was using a 50 degree bag (very warm sleeper), but there were several marginal nights. Heading SOBO this year beginning Aug 10th and will be carrying a 32 degree rated quilt.

I am planning to do about the same as you. Starting SOBO in mid-Sept and finishing early-mid October. See you at there!

I am also planning a thru (have section hiked entire trail in the 1990s). I haven't decided to go nobo or sobo. The climbs up both Camel's Hump and Mansfield are tougher if you're sobo (but if it's at all icy, that may be just the way to go). Another thing is that, if I can get my wife or someone to drop me off at Journey's End camp it would be easier to get public transportation back home after the trip.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Hello...

Thanks!

I'm planning on doing it starting in mid october, taking 2-3 weeks. Probably will have some winter gear on standby.
    MEGA'07'

You caann doo it! Great time of the yr. to thru the LT, when you are prepared for the weather being colder with a chance of some light to med snow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++