WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Colonial Heights, Tennessee, United States
    Images

Unhappy Please help... First garden and I need ...

I know you must think i'm nuts. Well, not nuts but desperate! I just started a garden... had tomatoes (vines were loaded), peppers, beans, onions, cantalopes, lettuces, potatoes etc... Well, tonight we had a HORRABLE storm charge through and it DESTROYED my beautiful garden . Its a total loss. Here's the pics now...

So, a few weeks ago I had entered a contest to win a tiller. It would have helped out me and my parents all. I'm really bummed with the loss of my garden but don't want to give up the slight chance who knows, maybe, just maybe, I could win. Anyway, I would so much appreciate it if you would come and vote for me.

Here is the link...

http://tricities.upickem.net/engine/...ssionID=977415

Thanks!
    Sandra from Kingsport ( who won't be eating fried green tomatoes for a long while.

Images

Aww man. How big is that? 30x30?

Plants are very resilient. I think you'd be surprised by what will still grow there. I bet it isn't a total loss. And you could always go out and buy a few small tomato plants - they'd be ready by the end of the season.

Images

You can probably salvage some of your plants. Don't be in too much of a hurry to tear out everything and throw in the towel.

Journal Entries
    Images

with all the rain we have been having lately i thought i was going to lose my garden as well when some kind of white fungi spread itself under my tater vines one morning....so i immediately tore those vines out and exposed it to direct sunlight and after it had dried a bit i turned the ground to find out that the clumps of dirt with the grass roots attached to them were acting like a sponge and keeping the water in one spot and not draining off enuf.........it has not returned, yet.....

You shoulda entered a contest for a free chainsaw . . .

Images

Chain saw....That really sucks about your garden, but I am sorry I had to laugh!!!
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Images

This is still very early in the growing season. Being from New England, I'm actually shocked that tomatoes can be ripe in June!

Tomatoes are especially tough plants. And some of the others are root plants. Don't count them out yet.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Not all is lost. The vines will bounce back if care is taken getting the tree off.

But you don't want the tiller. I gave mine away years ago and wished I'd given it away sooner. I now spend less time using hand tools than I did using the TroyBilt, all things considered. And my garden's not small,

It's easier to garden smart than to garden hard.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Hey, DWM, your blog looks just like my wife's blog. Garden, bluebirds, snakes.... I enjoyed it.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Hey, DWM, your blog looks just like my wife's blog. Garden, bluebirds, snakes.... I enjoyed it.
    Raised beds! The only way to go. Since I started using them I harvest more and spend less time weeding or turning soil.

The bluebird couple raised one brood then took a few weeks vacation and have just returned for a second round of nest building.

Some of the DRT photos show W-B members Mother Nature and SmokeStack.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

I like my garden its in the lefthand corner of your grocery store
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Wow, what a mess. We've been having huge rainstorms in Connecticut, too, but fortunately, the trees have stayed upright. As everyone says, your garden will recover more than you think once you get the lumber out. (Even if you leave it there, the vine crops will just grow over it.) I'm a gardener, too, and I'm hoping my son will keep the place in shape while I hike DWG to Duncannon, starting tomorrow. With rain gear!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    you Shoulda Entered A Contest For A Free Chainsaw . . .

No Kidding!!! Lmao!!!

Default Garden or Hiking

Sorry about your garden, My garden went thru the same storm, several storms, not as bad as yours, but it is coming around, i am now getting peas,carrots,green peppers,beets,and green tomatoes.Storm [strnorm] on WB.

Just built a brand new garden for myself at the new place....been working it for about a month now....everything is doing well.

Get that tree off your plants and they'll be fine. Send them that picture....maybe they'll feel bad and give you one

Pokey I got tomatoes the size of golf balls already....red and green peppers are blooming, potato's are huge, zuchini is doing ok...in some spots, pole beans are sprouting, carrots are HUGE!! so is the celery.

The herbs are doing real well, chives, creeping rosemary, sage, basil, oregano, lemon balm (like thyme but shaped like mint) and mint (tried to kill the mint. Impossible)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by strnorm View Post
    Sorry about your garden, My garden went thru the same storm, several storms, not as bad as yours, but it is coming around, i am now getting peas,carrots,green peppers,beets,and green tomatoes.Storm [strnorm] on WB.
    It was a doozy huh? Where about in Kpt are you? I'm in Colonial Heights.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I once went away for a Christian women's convention (no less) and came back to find golfball size hail had destroyed a good part of my garden. I so understand...

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I am a garderner too. Don't give up. We had nothing but wet and now it is in the 90's. Just get rid of the tree, fix up your stakes, rebury the uprooted, water, and you are good to go. Those plants are tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    Not all is lost. The vines will bounce back if care is taken getting the tree off.

But you don't want the tiller. I gave mine away years ago and wished I'd given it away sooner. I now spend less time using hand tools than I did using the TroyBilt, all things considered. And my garden's not small,

It's easier to garden smart than to garden hard.
    Nice blog. You're canning already?
    I must be remedial.

I did get some local blackberries today though. Cobbler tonight, jam tomorrow.
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++