WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17

Just put some fresh deer jerky in the dehydrator. Dad killed it yesterday and I marinated it this morning and got it on the dehydrator.

Quote Originally Posted by redeye View Post
    Just put some fresh deer jerky in the dehydrator. Dad killed it yesterday and I marinated it this morning and got it on the dehydrator.

Wow Redeye.. that sounds very good. Venison is very low in fat too.. I have been thinking about finding some venison to add to my menu. ..

Today is veggie day.. peas and peppers.. Tomorrow will be 'meat' day!

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    My hubby made the best chicken jerky for my hike, off the Internet. Came out fabulous
    Care to share the recipe? Did he cook the chicken first before drying? I've been trying to find a good chicken jerky recipe and am a little paranoid about drying it without cooking first (even though I know many people do this and haven't had a problem (yet)).

Default Several methods...

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Salad View Post
    Care to share the recipe? Did he cook the chicken first before drying? I've been trying to find a good chicken jerky recipe and am a little paranoid about drying it without cooking first (even though I know many people do this and haven't had a problem (yet)).
    That may have been a recipe that I posted on another forum.

Some say to cook the chicken (or beef) jerky for 45 minutes at 180 F, before drying, others say to cook it after drying.

I tried pressure cooking the chicken for 15 minutes before drying figuring that the nasties in the meat would succumb to the higher temperature and pressure of the steam. After drying I threw it in the oven for 45 minutes at 180 F to make sure I got all of the little bugs that may be lurking in the meat.

Results were very good, but be advised that the pressure cooking will not work for beef as it causes the meat to break down into flakes.

Might be worth your time to Google the topic. Lots of good material out there from the FDA, Dept. of Agriculture, and a lot of websites devoted to food preservation.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Journal Entries
    Images

ATrail Dreamer I think I remember KFC was 11-13 minutes in the pressure oil cooker you should have been done after that.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Arrow No oil used...

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    ATrail Dreamer I think I remember KFC was 11-13 minutes in the pressure oil cooker you should have been done after that.
    My pressure cooker was the water-type. I let it cook for about 15 minutes, but I don't remember the pressure. Science lab & hospital autoclaves are just fancy pressure cookers that kill the bugs with high temperature and pressure. That is the reason why I pressure cooked the meat, not to speed up the drying time, but to kill the nasties that could have been in the meat.

Don't get me started on KFC. While most of their franchises are OK, some of them serve stuff that a starving dog would turn their nose up to...undercooked, low quality crap!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17
++ New Posts ++