WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking Trails in Mississippi

Mississippi has to be the most unfriendly state for backpackers wanting an overnight trip, im from ms, and i only know of 2 long trails in south ms, is there anyone who knows of any other spots in the state. it sucks having to go out of state to find a good trail.
    "Lord, with these hands we could end life, but allow me to use them to save so many more."

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Maybe it's time to pull up the stakes, move and stop yellin' bout it.

Well it's hard with 2 young kids and a house and who the heck said im yelling.
    "Lord, with these hands we could end life, but allow me to use them to save so many more."

I hear you bro... not much hiking in them thar nek o da woods.

You used to be able to hike along the Natchez Trace, but Im not sure that is still an option. I think now it is just bike and car traffic. There are folks that cycle the entire length, starting near Nashville TN, so there must be some sort of hostel/campground system that they utilize. Might be worth looking into.

Not much better in Ohio. there are tons of short day hikes or 20 minute walks but not many place for much more then a 1 night trip, 2 if you're really slow or just feel like staying in the woods.

Zero,
    The Ice Age Trail goes through Ohio. and I thought I heard someone one time mention 'The Buckeye Trail'. It might be two names for the same section of trail (similar to JMT overlapping PCT or parts of the Colorado Trail overlapping the CDT)

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

In 2000 I hiked parts of two trails in Mississippi: the Black Creek Trail and the Tuxachanie Trail, which total about 60 miles. They are both almost flat, well maintained, and wind their way through pine forests. Check out the DeSoto National Forest website for more info.

If it hadn't been August, I think I would have enjoyed them a lot. If I ever get back down that way in, say, November, I hope to find out if I'm right.

:banana

yeh i pretty fimiliar with the tux and black creek, i dont know the last time you went but some of the sections have been rerouted due to the hurricane i was down there about 2 months on the tux and 5 on the black creek, the national forrest system has some multi use trails for horse, atv, hiker but they are basically a gravel road, so im still looking i spen about 8 hours a day looking on the computer for local places. i got a great job.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by msfirehiker View Post
    yeh i pretty fimiliar with the tux and black creek, i dont know the last time you went but some of the sections have been rerouted due to the hurricane i was down there about 2 months on the tux and 5 on the black creek, the national forrest system has some multi use trails for horse, atv, hiker but they are basically a gravel road, so im still looking i spen about 8 hours a day looking on the computer for local places. i got a great job.

The parts I was on in Y2K were mostly typical woods trails. Sorry to hear they aren't as woodsy today.

Gettin Lighter..All the Time!!! Biloxi's Avatar

Smile Miss..trails

well I am very familiar with the Tuxachanie as I hike it all the time, it's my home trail, well the first 5 miles to airey lake and back ALL the time.
    and the last 7 miles to POW camp/lake every once in a while.
    yes there is a reroute here and there but the 1st 5 is smooth sailing.
    really it's very nice, flat with some pretty scenery here and there.
    there are baby dear around, I spotted 3 babies on the trail eating..I just stopped and watched em.. very cool..
    now the 7 from lake to lake is quite doable..it's not as worn as the front 5. but still an easy walk.. bring water for the front 5.. plenty of water at the airey lake camp. no fresh water at POW so filter or treat or figure it out..
    so 12 miles from 49 trail head to POW lake..good long day hike with a couple breaks.. I love to camp at both lakes. and at mile 9 there is a nice picnic table that is perfect for a break..
    black creek..is still being cleaned up from Katrina so you can do it but blow downs will ruin your hike ..but a little is open on both ends..
    anyway..just my 3 cents.. enjoy it though tuxachanie is worthy of a good weekend hike

Images

Of the two I liked Tuxachanie better. Even though Black Creek followed a (duh!) creek much of the way. The pine forest on the Tux was just more to my liking.

Nice trailhead just off the US highway, too!

Images

After going to the Smokies in 2008 and 2009, I have been searching MS for what is available. Yeah, it aint no hikers paraides by any means. But I have found quite a few offerings for day hikes. The main options for overnighting seem to still be The Black Creek and The Tuxachanie. I went over and checked out Shepherd State Park in Gautier, MS (Jackson County). Their website stated about 8 miles of trails. After visting Shepherd State Park one afternoon, it has about 15 miles of trails now. One can not camp on the trail, but they have some primitive camping areas which would make for a nice base camp, then hike what you want, all you want. The park is bordered by two bayous.

There is the Long Leaf Trace from Hattiesburg to Prentiss. It is all black topped, more of a cycling, walking, jogging trail. It would make for a good cycling overnight camping trip.

If I could move, I would, but for now, will make the best of what's available locally; will travel to others when possible.

Hike On,

SMSP

I think one good method of overcoming the problems addressed is to join a club and help make what you want to become a reality. A person could spend a lot of time in the woods if he/she combined hiking with trail maintenance/development. I appreciate every step I take on a marked trail. Some volunteer took their time, sweat, and money to make the trail available to me. I doubt that the clubs in Mississippi would reject offers of help.

I'll second that "just move" suggestion. I left in 1990 (after my family had been there 200+ years). Best thing I EVER did! Next best thing I did was move to Georgia! Great people, superb woodlands and trails, better schools for my kids, better pay from a job that won't evaporate with a down economy.....and the list goes on.

Default Mississippi

I am from West Point, Mississippi. I did most of my early hiking and camping in the Sipsey Wilderness (Bankhead National Forest) in Northern Alabama. While living in Gulfport, I camped several times along the Wolf River, but no hiking. I love Mississippi, but not many places to hike. Go Dawgs!!!
    Cedar Tree

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Not exactly a long hike..but I remember the Tunica Hills being a pleasant spot when I hiked there many moons ago...

http://www.hikelouisiana.org/detailstunica.html
    http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting...t.cfm?wmaid=52

It is just over the border from Mississippi so it may be worth checking out...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Completed a day hike this past week and an overnighter this past weekend on the Tuxachanie Trail. I hiked from mile marker 5 to 12, Airey Lake to the POW. All mile markers are in place except mile marker 11. Based on my timed miles between markers, mile 11 is about by a swell with a downed tree and some rope attached to help cross it. One can has the option to either go over or under the tree.

Anyway, this portion of the trail is quite nice. At mile marker 9, there is a picnic table that would make for a nice place for lunch or a break. This portion of the trail is also a horse trail. Miles 10-12 run pretty much the creek with quite a bit a sand and ups and downs. It's rather peaceful hiking next to the creek and being able to hear the water.

A nice section to enjoy in parts or whole.

SMSP

If you come up to North MS, you'll find a bunch of bike trails that can be utilized for hiking. In Oxford is "Clear Creek" which is a nice (at least) 10 mile loop. Yeah, maybe not technically an overnighter, but you could go once and a half (if 15 miles is your "day") and camp at a nice spot by the lake...

Or you could go to what locals call "Whirlpool" and hike camp all manner of trails, if you know your way around. And there are maps for both of these on www.oxfordcycling.com and look at "routes".

Re: natchez trace. I rode the whole thing NOBO a couple years ago, and we 1) had an rv, and 2) had to find campsites for it. There isn't really any setup already in place for bikers. Not to say it's not fun (it is greatly fun), just there's not shelters or anything like that.

Hope that helps. PM me if you want more info, or if you are up here, I'll be more than happy to go out and hike w/ you. Even an overnighter, really. I would love to get out there to camp.
    Sardis Thru-Hiker Club - A 6.73 miler.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++