WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default AP Trail though CT

My friend and I are planning to hike the trail though Ct. I've read that its about 50 miles long or so. I'm sure people here have done it? What should I expect? How long should I give myself to complete it? 3 days? Thanks for any help

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

"What should I expect" raises a red flag. I'm assuming you're something of a noob to backpacking and as such, i'll shoot down the 50 miles in 3-days idea.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50914

This guy came out swingin with the same exact pitch.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    "What should I expect" raises a red flag. I'm assuming you're something of a noob to backpacking and as such, i'll shoot down the 50 miles in 3-days idea.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50914

This guy came out swingin with the same exact pitch.
    Dude, totem, red flag? My first reaction from seeing several of your post today is: this guy must be a noob---- to humanity! I checked your age- bingo! Then I saw you were from Jersey- and it all made sense!

Images

Yeah it depends how much hiking/backpacking you've done - but I would say 4 days. Plenty of up's and downs but not as hard as many other states.

Plenty of water this time of year, Bring a tent.

Trail towns are from south to north - Kent, Cornwall Bridge, Falls Village, Salisbury.

Shoot me a PM and I can give you a map for CT, I"m next door in New Britain. Adam.

For me, the big bummer in CT is no campfires on the AT... between that and the fact that i am close, i only do day hikes in CT. MA, on the other hand, is very nice for hiking, camping and fires.

Yea, this is pretty new to me. I've only done day hikes in the area and mt washington. I was looking at a map the the trail though and it seems like its almost cutting though peoples backyards. I've seen section on the street and in what looks to be some farmers fields? Ive read some things but just wanted to know what the trails are like

AT 2012

you live in CT -- so I think its a great place to start! My first AT hiking was in CT also, and I very much remember being overwhelmed... surprised...amazed... with how beautiful that part of our state is. Sure you see settled towns from the ridges, but they are really pretty, as are the hills. I say go for it... and second the advice to keep the daily mileage around 10 or 12 for this first "serious" trip. no doubt you'll love hiking your neighboring states, soon, too!
    Lazarus

Hopefully your packs are under 40 lbs (or 30 or 20 etc. ) and you are early risers. Much easier to walk in the morn before the heat and have plenty of time to reach your destination. Ct is Beautiful! ENJOY!

I didn't even know the Associated Press had their own trail. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    I didn't even know the Associated Press had their own trail. . . .
    they don't, it is the Appalachian Pagans trail, get it right ms. warrghy.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

There are some good climbs and a nasty descent in CT going NOBO. I'd definitely give it at least three days, maybe more. Enjoy.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    There are some good climbs and a nasty descent in CT going NOBO. I'd definitely give it at least three days, maybe more. Enjoy.
    ...by nasty, i think she means dramatic, challenging... awe inspiring, even. (oh, and not very long...)

enough to make you feel proud of being on such an exciting adventure. and by the time you reach that descent, you'll be hiking legends, so not to worry. Ditto: enjoy!
    Lazarus

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

CT was surprisingly beautiful. The river walks were phenomenal. You'll cross roads close to a few towns and you shouldn't be too far from potential help so it's a great place to start.

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Descending St. John's Ledges?

I had to do that in the rain. The rocks were totally soaked; thought I was going to face plant.

Quote Originally Posted by buff_jeff View Post
    CT was surprisingly beautiful.
    Surprising? It's Connecticut dude what did you expect, a desert?

If memory serves me orrectly there was one section, near Schagticoke that had a sharp drop off on the side of the trail. With the amount of rain we had this month it could be slippery. Other than that, Connecticut is a good place to start.

Images

While the trail in CT isn't very long, it is very diverse. You'll get a few hills, a couple level walks along a river, some road walking, some rocky cliffs. All in all it's very nice and will make a good first section to hike.

Quote Originally Posted by buff_jeff View Post
    Descending St. John's Ledges?

I had to do that in the rain. The rocks were totally soaked; thought I was going to face plant.
    There are a couple of very dicy places on the Ledges. For a new hiker I'd give Ct. 4 days (unless you're in better than average shape, know how to pack and get up relatively early). At Sages Ravine you'll have to take the Undermountain Trail back to Rte. 41 or you'll be hiking into Mass.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by lanretsr View Post
    My friend and I are planning to hike the trail though Ct. I've read that its about 50 miles long or so. I'm sure people here have done it? What should I expect? How long should I give myself to complete it? 3 days? Thanks for any help
    Hey if you are looking for more people to hike with let me know, I live near Hartford. Good luck!

having hiked CT 6 or more times and recently with my DH I would say go for it!! if you can take 4 days that would make it physically easier but it can be done in 3.

My favorite sections are the ledges, and then Bear Mountain and sages ravine.

May I suggest finishing or starting in MA, NOBO, going over race mnt and everet and ending at Jug end road. it doesn't add too much mileage and it is a GORGEOUS section!!
    ~Christy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++