WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Thru Hike March 2010 / NOBO

Looking for a few people or group who are hiking North starting in March. This will be my first attempt at thru hiking the AT. As of now, beginner hiker...getting ready in my spare time. I am from Tampa, Fl. Don't want to walk to Maine by myself.

Hey, no way! I don't want to walk to Maine by myself either! I'm from New Hampshire. Also a beginner hiker. What kinds of things are you doing to prepare?

Images

I'm starting in late February (hitting the approach on th 25th, NoBo of course). I'm looking to get together with a couple people just for the first couple weeks to get going, but I'm a solo hiker at heart.

Images

PS- I just figure it might be easier to stay on trail the first couple weeks with a couple people to keep you from going off. Not that I think I would ever want to go off trail, but the first week is the worst.

Images

dude you are going to meet soooooooooooooo many people that you will get sick of meeting new people.

Images

I know, I just figured that starting in the middle of the week in February would make it so I'd meet less people for the first week or two. Or do you think that a lot of people will start when I do?

2010 Future NOBO here... Living in Maine, from NYC orig.

I've been day hiking maine and the whites for a few years... starting first long distance overnights next week...

Right now setting up the job situation, making sure my house is all set, and researching/buying gear...

I hope it happens = all depends on the job stuff!!!

when were you thinking of starting?

Hi everyone. Im new here. So ive been thinking about doing a through hike for a few years now. But just recently, I have thought about this much more seriously. Problems with what direction i want to go in life and where my girlfriend wants to be has come up in our lives. She wants to either go to the peace corps or the americoprs. I have decided the AT. Ive bought a book or 2 and starting to train. Im gonna do a few days hiking and camping at a time to see what I will need. Im about 40lbs heavier than I want to be right now, but over the next few months I plan on losing it. I have a friend that says he wants to do it with me; he wants to know how serious I am and by that I have to show him im gonna lose 20 lbs. He said if i did that, he would come. I was in great shape in college and high school because I was a full time rower. I've done hikes before with setting up and camping for the night and then moving on. Never anything more than 3 days 2 nights tho. Im gonna start to do alot of research and keep posting on here for the next few months until i think i am ready. Now, if my buddy falls of the waggon and im still on it I would want someone to hike with. This site seemes to be the place to find people.

Thanks everyone,
    Phasty

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhastEnough View Post
    Hi everyone. Im new here. So ive been thinking about doing a through hike for a few years now. But just recently, I have thought about this much more seriously. Problems with what direction i want to go in life and where my girlfriend wants to be has come up in our lives. She wants to either go to the peace corps or the americoprs. I have decided the AT. Ive bought a book or 2 and starting to train. Im gonna do a few days hiking and camping at a time to see what I will need. Im about 40lbs heavier than I want to be right now, but over the next few months I plan on losing it. I have a friend that says he wants to do it with me; he wants to know how serious I am and by that I have to show him im gonna lose 20 lbs. He said if i did that, he would come. I was in great shape in college and high school because I was a full time rower. I've done hikes before with setting up and camping for the night and then moving on. Never anything more than 3 days 2 nights tho. Im gonna start to do alot of research and keep posting on here for the next few months until i think i am ready. Now, if my buddy falls of the waggon and im still on it I would want someone to hike with. This site seemes to be the place to find people.

Thanks everyone,
    Phasty
    I absolutely adore your trailname. Good job!--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Lightbulb

Hi everyone. Im new here. So ive been thinking about doing a through hike for a few years now. But just recently, I have thought about this much more seriously. Problems with what direction i want to go in life and where my girlfriend wants to be has come up in our lives. She wants to either go to the peace corps or the americoprs. I have decided the AT. Ive bought a book or 2 and starting to train. Im gonna do a few days hiking and camping at a time to see what I will need. Im about 40 lbs heavier than I want to be right now, but over the next few months I plan on losing it. I have a friend that says he wants to do it with me; he wants to know how serious I am and by that I have to show him im gonna lose 20 lbs. He said if i did that, he would come. I was in great shape in college and high school because I was a full time rower. I've done hikes before with setting up and camping for the night and then moving on. Never anything more than 3 days 2 nights tho. Im gonna start to do alot of research and keep posting on here for the next few months until i think i am ready. Now, if my buddy falls of the waggon and im still on it I would want someone to hike with. This site seemes to be the place to find people.

Thanks everyone,
    Phasty
    Good choice...you can save the world just as much hiking the AT. Don't worry about training...40 lbwill get lost along the way. Don't bring friends or lamas or guns. It will be ok...just make it to Neals Gap and they'll tell you what you're doing wrong. You've been walking all your life...don't make a big deal out of it. I suggest that you do as I do...I don't hike fast...I hike half fast.

Ive heard mixed review about bringing guns. Hicks along the way have bothered people or incase of a black bear attack, or just for safety reasons; you're on the trail for 6+ months. Why should or shouldn't I take a firearm?

Ive heard mixed review about bringing guns. Hicks along the way have bothered people or incase of a black bear attack, or just for safety reasons; you're on the trail for 6+ months. Why should or shouldn't I take a firearm?

A gun is heavy and it is not really needed. Most folks you meet are very nice. If you are concerned about bears, bring some pepper spray. I suppose you could use that on people too if attacked.
    You are never too old.

Images

A gun is VERY unnecessary- heavy, and there is really no reason. There are so many other hikers on the trail most of the time, that if you run into trouble, someone will be able to help. And a handgun against a bear? I dunno. Just bear bag your food and don't cover your body with honey if your taking a siesta.

Lightbulb

I considered bringing my .45 or .22, but I've decided on carrying a can of Fox5.3 mace. It's the police grade stuff you don't find laying around at Walmart. Bear Spray is crazy bulky, and huge cans. Fox5.3 is a sticky gel that's 5.3mil Scoville Units. It shoots a stream or a cone, and comes in a foam model. My can is 6.4ounces, and I assure you that if you were to get hit with it, you'd bleed from the eyes for 48hrs. Get a cop friend to get you some, or maybe an online e-tailer.

Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Images

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Good choice...you can save the world just as much hiking the AT. Don't worry about training...40 lbwill get lost along the way. Don't bring friends or lamas or guns. It will be ok...just make it to Neals Gap and they'll tell you what you're doing wrong. You've been walking all your life...don't make a big deal out of it. I suggest that you do as I do...I don't hike fast...I hike half fast.
    Superman, I just had to say- that is the best reply I've ever heard. It makes so much sense!!!

My apologies for jumping to conclusions.

I'm a NOBO hiker from South Carolina leaving in March! Definitely looking for company, too!

:banana

My plan is to begin NOBO beginning Monday March 1st. I know as a senior I am going to be slow and would enjoy hooking up with a few others for the first week or so at least.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by James Fetter View Post
    My plan is to begin NOBO beginning Monday March 1st. I know as a senior I am going to be slow and would enjoy hooking up with a few others for the first week or so at least.
    Second Try:

It's not how old you are. It's how much you want to do it, how much fitness you achieve beforehand, how much you love it out there. How much support you receive from your family and friends. Where is Nellysford, Virginia, anyhow?--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    Second Try:

It's not how old you are. It's how much you want to do it, how much fitness you achieve beforehand, how much you love it out there. How much support you receive from your family and friends. Where is Nellysford, Virginia, anyhow?--Kinnickinic
    I saw your posts and then your age wow go girl. I am 61 in 2010 and had wondered if I should be doing this hike. You are so inspirational. Yes I'm going to do it and all my planning and desire to finish will enable me to complete the AT in one go. (can't afford to have a 2nd shot at it.)

I am from Australia and will not have family or friends in the USA for support so will rely on the friends I make on the way for moral support.

Starting mid March.

gopcgirl

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++