WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Registered User writeronthestorm's Avatar

To clarify, I have the BA insulated air core.

Go with the insulated! It's really not that much more expensive and as a few others have mentioned is much more durable, more comfortable and will keep her warmer and happier.

I own both the insulated and uninsulated...I use the insulated all year...passed off the uninsulated one to the boyfriend.

Writer,

The pad is fine on the ground. Just be picky about looking over your site where you are sleeping for sharp sticks, rocks, etc. They are pretty tough. For me, my insulated BA is good to 30 degrees, any colder it sucks the heat out of me. I us a ccf pad on top of it, way warmer. You could be different, temp wise.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I used the BA insulated air core for '07 and had fitful nights. For my SOBO hike I switched to the thermarest neo air. I slept MUCh better and no blowing it up in the middle of thenight.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I used the BA insulated air core for '07 and had fitful nights. For my SOBO hike I switched to the thermarest neo air. I slept MUCh better and no blowing it up in the middle of thenight.
    Same, switched and couldn't be happier. Neoair is king.
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...06485526057330

Facebook Group - Appalachian trail hiker's

I gotta re-chime in. I have the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core and the Neo. I have used both in cold weather. I like both. I now prefer the Neo, even in reasonably cold weather but it is NOT because it is warmer. It is because it is lighter, packs smaller, blows up quicker, and just feels more comfortable. If I know I'm gonna be out in temps much below 20°, I'll leave the Neo at home. Over 20 (maybe a tad below) I find the Neo with a 3/4 Z-Lite works great.

There is simply NO WAY the Neo is warmer than the Insulated Air Core. Folks that think that may be getting confused with relatively warm ground temps and cold air temps and not doing a true comparison.

I have slept on both, side by side, same conditions, in my backyard just to satisfy my curiosity. On frozen ground, for me, the Insulated Air Core is fine to its rated 15°. Much below 32° the Neo needs some help.

I tend to sleep warm so the temps I mention are just for comparison.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I did use a thin pad from gossamer gear under my neoair for warmth (fine to low 20s). But I would not use it for winter conditions.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

In my backyard I did test my 0° bag with the Isulated Air Core plus 3/4 Z-Lite in temps down to near -10. The bag, along with pads, did just fine. Again, I tend to sleep warm.

I would not intentionally backpack in those conditions but it was good to know what the capabilities of my gear where in controlled (run inside if I needed to) conditions.

I have used the Neo on temps as low at 21° degrees (without extra Z-Lite) on a recent trip. The ground was NOT frozen (late fall) and the Neo did fine. Had the ground been colder is might have been a different story.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

http://kookabay.com/

This guy will make one to the dimensions of your choice. Filled with down or synthetic. Lighter than any other Insulated air matteress. A true r-value as well, not like BA where they say good to 15*. Its a Cottage Co. not much on the web site, you need to e-mail him and let him know what you are looking for. He has different weight fabric to make it according to how hard you are on your stuff.
    If you go over to backpackinglight.com its talked up there quite a lot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++