WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where are the Best Places to see fireworks from the AT?

Where are the Best Places to see fireworks from the AT?

I would like to do a July 4th long-weekend hike AND would love to see fireworks FROM the trail.

Is there a town that has a fireworks display that is easy to see from the trail...or even better --- a great summit/shelter/campsite?

Any ideas?

I am based out of Atlanta but will travel for a great fireworks show!

thanks
    2 cents
    GA-ME '95/96

I don't know about fireworks, but if you can get to Monson you can often see talented bagpipers play on the 4th, on the street or in back of the Lakeshore hostel.

Images

there's a hill somewhere in the orange turnpike area in NY
    around agony grind or something where if the weather is good you can see NYC
    hiked by there a couple times too hazy during the day to see anything though

Well, there is a decent show in Jonesborough TN and Johnson City has even larger ones but the only places on the AT you could see those would be the following:
    Viking Mountain (firetower after Little Laurel Shelter) or the grassy bald North of Jerry (Sam's) Cabin, also should be able to see them from Big Bald and perhaps Beauty Spot on Unaka, maybe even see them from Roan summit but keep in mind that any fireworks seen from the AT would be very distant but also there would be so many people doing their own shows that you would see those closer from anywhere on the trail. I remember seeing them in the distance towards DC from the Shenandoahs in 1990 plus bunches of locals in the valley. We brought in some big awesome ones from TN (as Virginia dont sell anything big or that actually makes noise etc) and shot them all off at the motel in Front Royal and then ran in our rooms before the cops got called ! Good luck and let us know where you decide to go. Oyeah, Damascus has a fireworks show that is decent and what a place to be, ahhhh yes.

Any mountain overlooking a city large enough to have fireworks. I really enjoy watching the tiny little mushrooms of color and tiny little pops. It gives a prospective of human affairs which are often inflated.

Not worth a drive up to the whites from Atlanta , but the view of the fireworks in Gorham NH from Mt Hayes (which is about 3 tenths from the AT via the Mahoosuc trail) is pretty interesting as you are looking down on top of the fireworks. Of course a lot of thruhikers like to roam around town during the fireworks as its quite a local event complete with some live bands, a "tacky" carnival and carnival food.

Unfortunatey not a good weekend to try to find a place to stay in town as eventhing gets booked.

Images

Still quite drive from Atlanta but I watched 4-5 shows from the Bears Den in Va a few years back.
    WalkingStick"75"

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've seen fireworks from overlooks in SNP. It was a long time ago though

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

On the way into Manchester Ct., VT there is a long walk down a fire road. Not far from where the AT splits off is a rock outcropping favored by locals. From this pt. you can see two towns fireworks at the same time. Quite the sight.

A bit far for you, but for others worth a visit.
    Yahtzee

Images

Default Berks, PA fireworks

Thanks for starting this thread. I like the topic and many others may be interested too.

The best I may be able to offer up is Shillington's fireworks which may be nearly 20 miles distant from Shikellamy Summit. Robesonia's were closer to the AT, but I'm told they have scaled back for a variety of reasons which might include Shillington's larger display.

I ordinarily watch Robesonia's fireworks from a hill near where I live unless I work that night. It was quite a show, one year, from my employer's fire escape just as work let out.

The Greater Governor Mifflin Community Days fireworks are scheduled for launch on July 4 at 10 PM. Just look toward The Pagoda on Mt. Penn to see the show.

Storyteller
    Images

I hear the fireworks in Harrisburg can be seen from the top of the mountain north of Clarks Ferry. A hiker I talked to last year had watched them from there when he throughed a few years ago and he was planning to hike out of Duncannon on the fourth last year to do it again. By the way, there will be fireworks July 3,4 and 5 in Harrisburg, if you happen to be passing through the Cumberland Valley. The ones on the 5th are the biggest show.

you can see the fireworks in Gatlinburg from the shelter on Mt Leconte in the Smokies. The issue there is that Gatlinburg prides itself on being the first town to celebrate the 4th. They have a parade at midnight (3rd) and shoot off the fireworks after the parade, usually around 1am. Check with the Smoky Mtn backcountry permit office to see if the shelter has space available.

It is about 5 miles up Alum Cave trail, or you could hike the 7.5 over from Newfound Gap and the Boulavard Trail.

From Atlanta, this would be about a 4 hr drive up to the Smokies for you. Be aware that if you are coming from the Cherokee side, they are widening and repaving 441 in the park between Cherokee and Newfound Gap.

Images

Vandeventer Shelter at Watauga Lake in TN should have some views of some small displays from the local marinas. I might check this one out next year. This year I'll be on the Roan.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Default Lime Rock

From the Thru Hiker's Companion

In Connecticut ...

Hang Glider View—Occasionally still used as a hang-glider launch site, the view is toward Lime Rock Park, where the late Paul Newman and other celebrities have sped their cars around a classic 1.53-mile racecourse. Hikers staying at nearby Sharon Mountain Campsite on July 4 can stroll to the viewpoint for a huge fireworks show.

2010 complete

Bear MT, NY has a view of Manhattan. There is also a view of Manhattan from a point in NJ. I'm assuming that NYC has fireworks.

Images

Try for West Mt shelter just before Bear Mt. its about 1/2 mile or so from the AT on side trail best view of the Manhattan Skyline you can get you will be able to see everything around the NYC area except some of the stuff they send up from the NJ area.

From Bake Oven Knob in PA in you can see 2,3, maybe even 4 fireworks shows over the Lehigh Valley - granted most are a good 20-30 miles away. Draws a bit of a crowd but nothing crazy.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    Try for West Mt shelter just before Bear Mt. its about 1/2 mile or so from the AT on side trail best view of the Manhattan Skyline you can get you will be able to see everything around the NYC area except some of the stuff they send up from the NJ area.
    did anyone view the nyc fireworks from Bear MT??

They used to do the Washington DC fireworks show the week before July 4 in Harpersferry for practice. Don't know if they still do but it is spectacular viewing from the cliffs that the AT skirts across the river from town.

geek

Quote Originally Posted by twocents View Post
    Where are the Best Places to see fireworks from the AT?

I would like to do a July 4th long-weekend hike AND would love to see fireworks FROM the trail.

Is there a town that has a fireworks display that is easy to see from the trail...or even better --- a great summit/shelter/campsite?

Any ideas?

I am based out of Atlanta but will travel for a great fireworks show!

thanks
    2 cents
    GA-ME '95/96
    Damascus. they set off the fireworks about 75 yards from the AT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++