WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Conditions/water in Roan Highlands?

Anybody have current information on trail and water conditions in the Roan Highlands?

thx!

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Its been quite rainy in the TN/NC sections. Then the bathrooms and fountains at the gardens are open. So treated water is available.

I will be up there on the 4th.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Author, Awol on the Appalachian Trail
    Images

I was there about a month ago. Reroutes last year added a couple of miles between Erwin & Elk Park. The trail was all in pretty good shape, except for an eroded bit south of the Stan Murray Shelter. Here are landmarks in this section:

http://appalachianpages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Awol2003 View Post
    I was there about a month ago. Reroutes last year added a couple of miles between Erwin & Elk Park. The trail was all in pretty good shape, except for an eroded bit south of the Stan Murray Shelter. Here are landmarks in this section:

http://appalachianpages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=545
    Thats what I will be working on for the 4th. My club and the Konnarock crew will be working on it. Its going to be a lot of switchbacks down the ridgeline.

Hardcore crews got quite a bit done the last couple years on Grassy Ridge. Then Appy State crews helped out with sections around Yellow Mtn Gap.

Also, the berries and wildflowers should be coming in.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 06-18-2009 at 10:00.
    ''Tennessee Viking'

2010 complete

We are officially out of the drought.

Images

I did the Roan Highlands section weekend before last. Plenty of water. No worries.

I was on Roan yesterday (Sunday) for the 63rd annual Rhodo festival, was awesome as they are all in full bloom. We have been so dry for past couple years but so much rain this year there should be no water issues at all, matter of fact the trail is basically like walking in a creek or mudholes right now from all storms and rains this year.

RAT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RAT View Post
    I was on Roan yesterday (Sunday) for the 63rd annual Rhodo festival, was awesome as they are all in full bloom. We have been so dry for past couple years but so much rain this year there should be no water issues at all, matter of fact the trail is basically like walking in a creek or mudholes right now from all storms and rains this year.

RAT
    My wife and I were there too. It was 61 degrees in the parking lot at the Rhododendron gardens, extremely foggy, rainy and very windy. I thought it was beautiful, my wife didn't. I saw one hiker taking some pictures with a camera on a tripod. Yes, the drought is over in this part of the country.

Yep, you were there !!

RAT

Well obviously I am not worthy enough of placing images on WB, so go here to see: http://www.trailstealth.com/gallery/...325&fullsize=1

So again, Yep you were there !

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RAT View Post
    Well obviously I am not worthy enough of placing images on WB, so go here to see: http://www.trailstealth.com/gallery/...325&fullsize=1

So again, Yep you were there !
    You weren't the hiker we saw taking pictures were you?

I took a few pics too, I may upload them here later.

Hiked Iron Mountain Gap to 19E this past weekend: Plenty of clouds and water the whole way.

The hike up Roan Mountain to Ash Gap from Hughes Gap is still a thousand-foot-per-mile legbuster, but that just keeps the blood flowing.

Hundreds of tourists at Carvers walking up and getting blasted off of Round Bald again.

Nice new switchbacks south of Stan Murray despite the mud. That trail used to run straight down the middle of the ridge like a ski slope. Plus, the relo south of Yellow Mtn. Gap is nicely done. (I last went through in '05.)

Roan was sticking up into the clouds most of the time, but Round and Jane balds were open now and then. Next day over the humps was iffy in the morning and cleared as the day wore on. Thousands of beautiful flame azaleas in orange, red and yellow, plus rhodies. Plenty of water everywhere and plenty of wind on the balds. Another memorable and beautiful trip along one of the truly great, classic sections of the AT. It was everything I remembered and more.

Thank you to all the trail maintainers who've recently done work up there. Good job.

I was there taking pics but I did not have a tripod as you mentioned. I had better, a girlfriend and her dog, lol.

Journal Entries
    Images

I think the guy with the tripod was Possum Bill. He was just up there taking sunrise pics from the Balds. Trying to be a photographer...lol
    ''Tennessee Viking'

Hikin Bill is cool guy, has some pretty good pics but not as good as his friend Mark from Milligan. They both have nice sites as well.

RAT

Images

Couple of images from this past weekend on Roan Mtn in the gardens there.

Images

One more...

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

was in the backyard Mon-Tues, left Hughes Gap around 4pm 6.22, plenty of water at Ashe and at Roan High Knob Shelter.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Imma goin` back tomo to get some better pics, (hoping blooms are still good) should be hot, clear, less humidity, etc. of course can change quickly there!

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default I'm thinking they are peaking NOW

the festival this past weekend was a bit premature due to the cold weather recently--should be perfect conditions if the mist will blow off.
    There was one little stretch of trail yesterday that was almost all pink/red/rosy from the petals...it is a good time to be on the Roan!
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++