WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Hey KK. How's it going? Was planning to meet up with you on the Batona Tr. last yr, but just didn't work out.

Actually, I glow from the Oyster Creek Nuclear Power Station in Forked River. The Superfund site left behind by Ceiba Giga supposedly has been cleaned up, but they did an undisclosed settlement with all those involved with the class action suit brought against them by plaintiffs who were represented by the same lawyer who was involved in representing those involved in the factual Erin Brokovich based movie. Yes, Toms River has an above average national spike in Cancer related deaths, but that's something we are not supposed to talk about. Shhh. I spend as little time in Toms River as possible these days. So many other places I would rather be!

In CA right now making up my missed PCT miles from last yrs. fire closures.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    toms river jersey has more toxic sites then anywhere else. WE don't get sick from tainted water, we glow a bit, but not sick
    I guess that saves on headlamps and batteries....drink up!
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ASHLIA View Post
    I hadn't really though about this, but I also take immuno-suppressants. You may have totally swayed me on this one, better safe than sorry.
    Exactly.

I've been diagnosed with Lymphotic Colitis and have the same autoimmune symptoms as Crohn's, except I can eat whatever I want. But I don't leave anything to chance when it comes to intestinal parasites and bacteria. I have enough problems than having to deal with that as well.

Water filter everything.
    "Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you always have to put your two cents in?"
    - Stephen Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    cuz there's no need to?
    When you have a comprimised immune system, I would beg to differ.

I also have hand santizer and use it constantly throughout the day, even at home. Otherwise, you pick up EVERYTHING going around.

For some of us, it is a necessity. I'll take the pack weight versus the stomach issues. I've had enough of those already.
    "Why is it a penny for your thoughts, but you always have to put your two cents in?"
    - Stephen Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
    When you have a comprimised immune system, I would beg to differ.

I also have hand santizer and use it constantly throughout the day, even at home. Otherwise, you pick up EVERYTHING going around.

For some of us, it is a necessity. I'll take the pack weight versus the stomach issues. I've had enough of those already.
    amen. praise the lord and pass the iodine please....I couldn't agree more.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    toms river jersey has more toxic sites then anywhere else. WE don't get sick from tainted water, we glow a bit, but not sick
    Not yet.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

I just went for a rock climb with a friend west of Boulder. I was so incredibly dehydrated by the time we got back to crossing South Boulder Creek that I first poured the water over my head with an empty Vitamin water bottle, then sipped a little asi it streamed across my laps, and finally graduated to full on filling the bottle and taking a chug or two. My buddy with me was astounded.

I looked at the water closely, it was very clear, not even much silt, running fast, and cold. The creek ran through an open space corridor and above that a state parl where not many people or animals (horses and dogs can get to the water and above that a pretty wild area with class IV rapids.

My instinct told me it was safe enough for a few gulps...and by the way it was soooooooo good.

Now I'm sitting here, home, crossing my fingers that I dont get violently ill. I think I could stand a little wooziness, but what symptoms should I look for?

I'm freaking myself out with stories I'm reading of amoeba, and cryptosporidium?

What do you think of my evaluation of the source?

Thanks..

-n
    all work and no play makes nick a dull boy.

edit: where horses and dogs cannot easily get to the water.

The section of creek is 'above' or upstream of town(s) and development and as far as I know as you move west it just gets more wild.

I did not see any signs of pollution (foam, dicoloration, feces, odor, dead things, flies).

I feel pretty confident that the source was safe depite many probbaly thinking otherwise.

Can you help put my mind at ease?

Thanks,

Nick
    all work and no play makes nick a dull boy.

Images

I think most people have a hard time grasping the concept of risk and probability. Just because you did something and there was no adverse affect does not mean there was no risk. So if you didn't treat any water on your hike and didn't get sick that doesn't mean it was safe, it just means the odds are probably low. Same with driving without seatbelts, bicycling without a helmet, etc... You can do all of those and most likely not have a problem. But statistically someone will have a problem and then they will feel dumb for not doing something that was pretty simple but would have provided a big benefit. Get in a car wreck at just 30 mph and you can easily die if you aren't wearing a seatbelt, with a seat belt most likely you just get some bruises or at worst a broken arm, etc... And my best friend when I was a kid was killed when he was hit by a car on his bike, and of course no one wore helmets then.

So if you are willing to risk getting sick and maybe having to get off the trail for a week, go ahead and don't treat, the risk is pretty low. I personally like to filter because it improves the taste and I can drink it immediately, but the extra 10-12 oz for the filter is a noticeable weight. Aqua Mira at least makes it safe and doesn't make it taste worse like iodine, but it doesn't improve the taste either.

Drinking from springs is pretty safe if they are deep enough, which is why it is safe to drink water from a house with a well. I grew up in CT and everyone used wells, but they are probably 200-300 ft deep. It would be extremely risky to drink from the streams due to run off from farms, dog/deer/bear poo, dead animals, and chemicals from the farms, roads, cars, lawns, etc...

Most of the filtered water you buy at stores is usually UV treated at the plant, which kills just about anything. Even if not UV treated it is probably tested regularly for E Coli and its friends just to be safe. No company would ever just put water in a bottle and sell it without risking huge lawsuits on that one day when something bad gets in the water.

Journal Entries
    Images

Could it be that a filter actually increases one's risk of illness in the backcountry?

Is this such a crazy hypothesis?

Perhaps, but to my way of thinking the pathogens that make one sick might require some critical mass before they do their damage. Possible? I think so. But what the hell do I know? Just guessing.

If that is the case, think of what a filter is designed to do. Yup. It is designed to concentrate all those bad thingies together. Week's worth. Month's worth. I have a filter on a shelf somewhere that's had a couple years collecting dust. I can only imagine what's growing in there now.

OK then. If all that bad stuff stays sequestered, no problem. But why think that is even possible? Filters get a lot of abuse and can leak. Hoses get mixed up and dribble on each other. Seals around the cylinder are imperfect. And then there is what can't help but happen when you open the thing up to clean.

If you want to filter, great. But why assume that it actually helps? Especially as used in the field?

Images

I took a filter on my first hike; changed to Aquamira and never looked back.

The only time I've ever been puking sick on a hike was after my hiking partner filtered water. He replaced his filter after that hike since he got sick too.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

I do not use a filter and use Aqua tabs and have never been sick or unable to get water but I am a section hiker.

If I did a through hike I would buy a filter out of convience.

I have helped many hikers over the years who do not filter, when the water was low or very nasty! Nobody's ever had to help me out! everybodys different, i don't care what others use?more power to them. i drink straight from the source or filter.

Journal Entries
    Images

I agree with Crumbsnatcher. I carry a filter and use it most of the time. There are sources I drink directly from. I have sacrificed in other areas so as to be able to carry the filter system. What I enjoy best, over Aqua, is immediate and good tasking water.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Perhaps, but to my way of thinking the pathogens that make one sick might require some critical mass before they do their damage. Possible? I think so. But what the hell do I know? Just guessing.

this is true. and the 'critical mass' depends on the infectious agent

as far as the filter itself making you sick...i'd say thats user error.

Quote Originally Posted by nca777 View Post
    I just went for a rock climb with a friend west of Boulder. I was so incredibly dehydrated by the time we got back to crossing South Boulder Creek that I first poured the water over my head with an empty Vitamin water bottle, then sipped a little asi it streamed across my laps, and finally graduated to full on filling the bottle and taking a chug or two. My buddy with me was astounded.

I looked at the water closely, it was very clear, not even much silt, running fast, and cold. The creek ran through an open space corridor and above that a state parl where not many people or animals (horses and dogs can get to the water and above that a pretty wild area with class IV rapids.

My instinct told me it was safe enough for a few gulps...and by the way it was soooooooo good.

Now I'm sitting here, home, crossing my fingers that I dont get violently ill. I think I could stand a little wooziness, but what symptoms should I look for?

I'm freaking myself out with stories I'm reading of amoeba, and cryptosporidium?

What do you think of my evaluation of the source?

Thanks..

-n
    Symptoms will usually strike you one to two weeks afterwards. You will begin to have a gurgling stomach, followed by the runs. Explosive to say the least. And usually your movements will smell absolutely horrible. People in the house will take notice of the odor, it can get so bad.

Usually, metrodiazonal (flagyl) will be administered for one to two weeks. The may even give you dicyclomine to slow down your stomach processess if you have it really bad.
    - Stephen Wright

Did anyone out there use a drop of clorox to treat questionable water?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I wish Mags were online now to download his favorite photo of gag-inducing water. \

I must of have been on one of my walkabouts when this thread was posted.

HEre it is...

And the backstory:

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=184215

Perhaps a beer and a snort of Tequila is the best water treatment method ?

As for that Boulder water. I drank from the exact same place several times. I'm still here. And I tele ski (badly).
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

What was the advise i got in 2007? no need to filter water gotten above 4000' good advice. but sometimes your thirsty and you'll be staring at some terrible water source and you need something to drink/ cook with. be a water snob. some sources are just too good not to stick your face under (5000' spring water coming out of the side of a mountain) happy hiking.
    hey hey, my my

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Raichle View Post
    Did anyone out there use a drop of clorox to treat questionable water?
    out of necessity yes. upper goose pond and the river beside the creeper trail. better bring the flavor mix to stomach that #%*$.
    hey hey, my my

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++