WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default new tent decision

I've been using a Tarptent squall for a while, and have been happy with it, especially with the approx. 2 lb weight. Never want to carry a heavy tent again. However, in a recent move, the tarptent was lost, and now I am tentless, except for a very heavy (5 lb 12 oz) dome tent.

My first thought was to simply replace the tarptent - perhaps with one of Henry's newer models. But on thinking it over, I'm wondering. The tarptent, for any such single-wall shelter, needs lots of ventilation because of the condensation issue. As a result, they are drafty suckers. So, to use my 32 deg sleepingbag anywhere near its rated temperature, I need to carry clothing I wouldn't wear on the trail...heavy long underwear, bed sox, etc.

So, I've been thinking about a Hilleberg Ako...roughly a pound more than my old tarptent, but being double wall, is probably a lot warmer, so I could leave the bedclothes at home and carry only what I actually wear on the trail and in camp. And have a pretty bomber tent...no splash or wind-blown rain issues. Cold, rain and wind are not unknown here in Alaska.

So, is there anything wrong with my thinking about this? Woud welcome any input from you-alls. Thanks.

Images

Consider a light weight bivy to use over your bag when you reach it's limits. An Equinox weighs just 6oz, but protects you from strong breezes in both a well-ventilated tent and a shelter if you choose to sleep there.

Could get an emergency Bivvy that they sell...bout $34 and very light and small. No ridge pole too it but they keep you warm and dry.

I love my contrail Tarptent. I think Lyle has a good solution for you with the bivy (ultra-lite of course) and you could get another Tarptent! I have a solo tent for winter use the rest of the year I use the Contrail.

Images

I have used the Akto in some pretty horrid weather and it is remarkably stable for the weight. Huge vestibule and less condensation than my Rainbow. To answer your question specifically, it is a much warmer tent than what you have been using. In fact, my 32 degree bag is used as a quilt in temps close to freezing when using the Akto. The quality is superb and it will last many, many years of constant use. You can be rest assured that the shelter has been used at the North Pole successfully but yet is very user friendly for the weekend warrior.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I was going to suggest a TiGoat bivy with the Tarptent. So if you own both an Akto and a Rainbow, how do you decide which one you're taking, by the weather anticipated?

I've proven to myself that I'm not a single wall kind of guy so for my solo needs I go with a Big Agnes SL1. It is just 10ozs heavier than what you have currently (you can swap the stakes and get it lighter). I have been thrilled with the tent... it is really a pleasure to sleep in and bombproof in weather.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NCYankee View Post
    I've proven to myself that I'm not a single wall kind of guy so for my solo needs I go with a Big Agnes SL1. It is just 10ozs heavier than what you have currently (you can swap the stakes and get it lighter). I have been thrilled with the tent... it is really a pleasure to sleep in and bombproof in weather.
    Right on. I had the clip flash light before I got this tent and I am very pleased with the SL1. Light, tuff and its actually a good looking tent too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    I was going to suggest a TiGoat bivy with the Tarptent. So if you own both an Akto and a Rainbow, how do you decide which one you're taking, by the weather anticipated?
    (and an MLD DuoMid on the way...I have problems)

Joe, I will generally use the Akto in the shoulder season months or alternatively, if I expect a lot of rain over a multi-day trek. It is really nice to just thread one pole and both the inner and outer tent pop up without getting any rain inside. The Akto is also rock solid in high winds. The low profile, but wide shape does well here.

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Just know this about the Akto...
    you can reduce the weight by subbing out the OEM pole with a carbon fiber pole and removing all the Hilleberg bling.
    it will withstand hurricaine force winds BUT that is with all lines deployed...it will withstand normal gales with less line strung out but either way you need real estate beyond what you would normally think to tie them out.
    I got mine down to 2lb 5oz.
    Don't forget if you get an Akto that it works killer without the inner tent and you adding a small tyvek ground sheet...or you can use just the inner tent.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

The tarp tent rainbow has an inner liner that is suppose to make it more like a double wall. You could check that out.

If you've got the cash, I highly recommend a Black Diamond HiLight. It's a freestanding, single-wall, 2 person tent. It weighs about 3 pounds, and has great ventilation. Once you seam-seal this sucker it does a great job of keeping you (and your gear) dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Consider a light weight bivy to use over your bag when you reach it's limits. An Equinox weighs just 6oz, but protects you from strong breezes in both a well-ventilated tent and a shelter if you choose to sleep there.
    A net-tent also works surprisingly well at increasing warmth in well ventilated tents. Though not as warm as a bivy, they breath better than most, helping reduce condensation that can occur in a bivy. I've used the 6 moons Serenity, but there are lot out there. Mountain Laurel has a few models. They are also very light.
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

I agree with the Big Anges SL1. I just used it on my section hike thru SNP and loved it. Took about 3-5 mins to set up and even when i didnt have it staked out it was roomy and durable. Weighed in around 2.8 lbs.
    Komu pora,temu czas

Images

Tough one. My experience, lighter is better. Have an SL-1, Tarptent has the room and lightweight features I need. Not a whole lot of places you can save 16 ounces or so on an item. Would love to get below 30lbs with food & water.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    The tarp tent rainbow has an inner liner that is suppose to make it more like a double wall. You could check that out.
    I think that is for the Double only...not sure though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
    If you've got the cash, I highly recommend a Black Diamond HiLight. It's a freestanding, single-wall, 2 person tent. It weighs about 3 pounds, and has great ventilation. Once you seam-seal this sucker it does a great job of keeping you (and your gear) dry.
    Except that its not waterproof....

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    I think that is for the Double only...not sure though.
    Well, the double is nice and doesn't way a whole lot. I have it and think it is very good for when I have my wife and two dogs with me. Otherwise, I go with a poncho tarp and bivy combo.

Just use a tarp from equinox, I can sleep plenty warm in it, and prefer it over my tarptent in non-mosquito season

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    Except that its not waterproof....
    Hence, the part about seam-sealing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++