WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Default Thru-hiker food

Thanks for posting this thread, I was about to post something similar, because I'm considering thru-hiking next year without maildrops, and I'm interested in good stuff you can make from what you can buy on (near) the trail.

During a thru-hike with no maildrops, I don't think I will have access to gourmet stores, online or otherwise.

Also I won't have a home to go back to, so these recipes with the preliminary "prepare at home" or "dehydrate at home" steps in them won't work for me.

So I'm interested in recipes using only ingredients you can get from small groceries/convenience stores in little towns along the way. I have not seen much in the way of "dehydrated vegetables" in such stores.

Don't have any personal experience with the Outback Oven, but when my son hiked in 2001 he carried and used a Bakepacker and made bread, pizza, cakes, etc. the whole way from Springer to Katahdin. Of course, he was young and strong and carried a violin the whole way as well. Being old and not so strong, I'm liking the simple ideas here.

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

DrRichardCranium - without mail drops does make a difference. Some stores will have dehydrated soup base and such. That with some salmon, instant potatoes, powdered milk and dill makes for a super easy salmon chowder. Smoked oysters on crackers is a good choice. Salsa and tuna mixed together and tossed with pasta or couscous.

lillyfamily - A violin is an interesting thing to take on the trail. Does he play in the classical style?

Yeah, classical music is still a big part of his life, though he enjoys playing bluegrass and jazz as well. He and his younger brother also made their tent because they wanted enough room for the two of them and enough height for the older one to sit up and play at night. I really enjoyed dehydrating things and being the homebase person, but we (overprotective parents perhaps) were so concerned that the younger ones (one of our daughters hiked part of the way as well) got enough proper nutrition that I went a bit overboard. Learned a lot about protein/fat/complex carb ratios and King Arthur Flour! The tent is still in great shape - took it to Yosemite when one of my daughters and I backpacked for several weeks.

Images

That's great. I totally love that they made their own tent. My little guy is only 8 but when he's old enough to go on his own he's going to be spoiled with food. King Arthur Flour has some great products. Nice to see entire families that like this sort of thing.

Words of advice from the one who has been shipping items to friends this summer on the PCT:
    While they buy nearly everything on trail (it is easier!) I have found that the most requested item I get from Rainrunner via phone is "Tubs of Just Veggies!" So every once in awhile I mail her a drop of freeze dried veggies and she is happy as can be.

So you needn't do lots of mail drops but on certain hard to find things, it cannot hurt to have a trusted friend that you can have drop those items when craved/needed
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images

Not to be picky, but could we get back on topic please?

Using foods that you find at stores along the trail that when combined make a memorable meal.

No mail drops, just what's avalable "out there".

Thanks!
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Ramen brick and a handful of shredded jerky=dinner.

Rainy was a pretty organic kind of girl till she started this thru. This has become one of their staple dinners as they can get it in any C-store in towns on the way.

It might not be the best, it is though high in fat and protein. And affordable.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lillyfamily View Post
    Don't have any personal experience with the Outback Oven, but when my son hiked in 2001 he carried and used a Bakepacker and made bread, pizza, cakes, etc. the whole way from Springer to Katahdin. Of course, he was young and strong and carried a violin the whole way as well. Being old and not so strong, I'm liking the simple ideas here.
    NO WAY!!! That is by far the most awesome thing I've ever heard. (The more ensible bit of me is apalled that anyone would subject a violin to weather though- I hope it wasn't a good one) I wish I could take mine. Well, no I don't- I am going to have a lot of tough catching up to do when I get home though. How long has he been playing?

Images

PS- Sorry doctari, I swear I won't comment on non food anymore!

Images

Chai Mulled Fruit (similar to Doctari's fruit stew - just kicked up my way)... I usually make this car camping with fresh fruit (plums, pears, apples, peaches, oranges and raisins) but it can be easily made with dried fruit. Basically bring some water to a boil, add the dried fruit, a pinch or so of brown sugar and a chai tea bag (or 1 heaping tablespoon of loose chai in cheesecloth or a tSac). Let the mixture steep for 5 minutes then remove the tea bag/leaves. You can eat this as-is or have it over oatmeal, with biscotti (I like packing in biscotti because it's really durable), or with some dehydrated cake.

Use blueberry muffin mix (the just add water kind) for blueberry pancakes. Very yummy, and I've done it in my regular pot with no problem.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    PS- Sorry doctari, I swear I won't comment on non food anymore!
    Is OK, not mad, just gently guiding!
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

My son started playing the violin when he was in first grade, graduated from college in the spring of 1999, and hiked from GA to ME in 2001. It was not his good violin, but a cheaper, lighter model he got online, and my daughter and I made a sil-nylon foam bag for it. It's a little odd to me though, to look at our five children now that they're adults: they all love the outdoors, but some would much rather be in a cabin or modern campground at night - showers and at least a tent to sleep in. Go figure.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieAnn View Post
    Chai Mulled Fruit (similar to Doctari's fruit stew - just kicked up my way)... I usually make this car camping with fresh fruit (plums, pears, apples, peaches, oranges and raisins) but it can be easily made with dried fruit. Basically bring some water to a boil, add the dried fruit, a pinch or so of brown sugar and a chai tea bag (or 1 heaping tablespoon of loose chai in cheesecloth or a tSac). Let the mixture steep for 5 minutes then remove the tea bag/leaves. You can eat this as-is or have it over oatmeal, with biscotti (I like packing in biscotti because it's really durable), or with some dehydrated cake.
    Wow - Sombody really knows how to "woo" a guy!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

If I were trying to "woo" someone I would resort to something decadent and playful.... like chocolate fondue.

Quote Originally Posted by russb View Post
    for the fry bread... add a bit of baking powder. For some reason I always find this in convenience stores. This will allow the bread to rise a bit. Also add a touch of sugar to the dough. If you have a fire, it can be cooked right on the coals. After the fire has built up a nice little pile, spread them out and put the dough patty right on the surface, flip it once to cook the other side.

Here's a couple of dessert recipes that can be made with stuff found in most people packs. ( I know it doesn't follow the "rules" exactly)

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

packets of instant oatmeal
    raisins from gorp
    some bisquick mix
    sugar (if the oatmeal mix is plain)
    bit of powdered egg
    some olive oil
    water

mix up all but the water, add water and stir until you get cookie dough consistency. Form into balls and squish down. cook using any baking method, or can be done in a fry pan style.

Brownie Style Chocolate Cake

packets of instant hot chocolate
    bisquick mix
    bit of powdered egg
    olive oil
    water

mix up batter, but not too much. bake or 'fry'. Don't burn or it is nasty.
    Do you happen to have the amount of each that is needed for the brownie style cake?? I tried it earlier and it didnt seem to be right...

Quote Originally Posted by JoshStover View Post
    Do you happen to have the amount of each that is needed for the brownie style cake?? I tried it earlier and it didnt seem to be right...
    I don't I am sorry. I just sort of eyeballed it. I do know it was mostly cocoa mix and only a little of everything else... drops of water.

Lental soup is my son and I's "Special meal " You just put lentals into nalgene bottle w/ water in the morning and carry it till evening when you open it the lentals are all softened up. Cook in pot add salt, onion powder and especially garlic powder and pour over minute rice. All spices and igredients are packed at home in zip locks. You can also jam in anything you want dried veggy style. Weight is a bit on the heavy side but like I said it's the "special meal" and has been deemed soooooo goooood !!!!!!!

Thanks! Im sure I can play with it a little bit and get pretty close. Im not going to be doing to much cooking on my thru next year but I think that something like this every once in while would be GREAT! Please keep the wonderful recipes coming!!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++