WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Just finished volunteering

Just got back from making the new AT around Bear mountian. We mostly cleared the rocks and stuff from the soon to be trail. I forget the little hill they called it but its amazing how it looks. Its 950ft up of just granite steps. They are doing it all by hand by all native rocks. I cant wait until its done so i can hike on it. THe trail crew leader said that 500,000 people hike that section of the AT every year and only 1% of them are thru-hikers of section hikers.

Thanks for volunteering. It can be contagious!
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Thanks for your service to the A.T. You can be proud of the piece of Trail you helped build--forever! Hope you go back again as a hiker and a volunteer.

Images

great job! it looks awesome!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Trail work is hard..but very rewarding.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Ok now I feel really guilty. I keep saying that I need to make it over to work for a day or two over there I am only 45 min away. I want to be able to say years from now that I was a part of one of the biggest trail projects to take place. I have seen pictures and this is about the scope of some of the the old CCC projects. Glad you were able to come and be a part of history.

I like Life,Life likes Me,Life and I very fully Agree.. Saint Alfonzo's Avatar
    Images

Good Work, Young Moose...

Thanks for your work. I'll check it out personally this summer. I've yet to do that section of NY.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

geez, all of you guys make me feel guilty for not doing anything on the trail, but i live all the way down in central fl so it's not like i have a choice in the matter

Images

What wonders! Is this section of the AT near the trail inside West Point that new cadet have to take to their summer training?

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Isnt that the same section that was in the June/July copy of the ATN? That was a great article. I have to go back and dig that up again. I have had several people ask me when they are going to build steps like that in the Smokies. Awesome is definitely one word to describe them. Amazing is another one.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Max2mus View Post
    geez, all of you guys make me feel guilty for not doing anything on the trail, but i live all the way down in central fl so it's not like i have a choice in the matter

I hear you. Hard to work on the AT when you live X miles away.

But, do what I call 'cross-trail' karma. The Florida Trail may have some projects (not sure about this time of the year, though! ). Almost every country or town has a local park or open space that could use some help, too.

If you want to volunteer, probably plenty of opportunity abound. I met some people a little older than you who spend a summer working trails. Who knows? Maybe some to look into for the future. Better than washing dishes at a local restaurant when I was 14.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    Isnt that the same section that was in the June/July copy of the ATN? That was a great article. I have to go back and dig that up again. I have had several people ask me when they are going to build steps like that in the Smokies. Awesome is definitely one word to describe them. Amazing is another one.
    Yes that would be the some project. It really is a big project and the article hardley does it justice. check out the NY/NJ Trail Conference site for more info on this. In the next few years my section right at the Train stop on the AT here in Pawling is slated to have a boardwalk similar to the one in Pochuck NJ be put in. Feel free to come up when we are doing that and get a bit dirty, I'll even cook you dinner.

Images

You can find more info about the Bear Mountain project at www.nynjtc.org/BearMountainTrails/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by David@whiteblaze View Post

You could get a taste for it on the Florida National Scenic Trail. The Association has a great motto, "First we eat, then we build trail." They are a fun bunch. I know a few Wisconsinites from the Ice Age Trail Mobile Skills Crew who escape winter and continue to lend a hand.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by YoungMoose View Post
    Just got back from making the new AT around Bear mountian. We mostly cleared the rocks and stuff from the soon to be trail. I forget the little hill they called it but its amazing how it looks. Its 950ft up of just granite steps. They are doing it all by hand by all native rocks. I cant wait until its done so i can hike on it. THe trail crew leader said that 500,000 people hike that section of the AT every year and only 1% of them are thru-hikers of section hikers.

Well don't discuss it here, according to Jack T, this site is geared toward long distance hiking. I can't see it myself, but if Jack says so, then it must be so.

On the other hand, thanks for helping out the trail for ALL HIKERS, not just thru hikers.

Default Boy, everyone feeling friendly tonight?

Young Moose:

Thanks for your efforts, that's really cool.

And Bulldawg, thanx for your comments too. I bet when you finagle that stick out of your ass you're actually a swell guy!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Young Moose:

Thanks for your efforts, that's really cool.

And Bulldawg, thanx for your comments too. I bet when you finagle that stick out of your ass you're actually a swell guy!
    I'm a real swell guy Jack, ask any of the hikers who I've helped in Georgia every year. Don't see many of them here on WB though. Funny being how this site is actually geared towards only long distance hikers. But yeah, I think you would think I was swell guy. I was a swell enough guy to give you a plenty large swig outta my flask at MTXINGs back in the spring. Didn't know then you had some kind of aversion to us lowly section hikers. Oh and BTW, I had my wife check, there isn't a stick up my ass, we couldn't figure out what you were talking about.

Bulldawg:

This is a really stupid argument and I refuse to get drawn into it.

I suggest you take a minute and look at the section here on "Polls" and look at the one called "How do thru-hikers REALLY feel about section hikers?" It dates from January 2004.

You'll see that I not only responded to the original pollster's question, but you'll also see that I was the FIRST person to respond to the question.

Why don't you take a minute and go look what I said if you want to see how I feel about section hikers, OK? And since I know you have integrity, why don't you post the whole quote here so others can see how I feel about them, and that way they can decide for themselves how I feel about this. You might also want to quote what other people said about my comments (and some of these folks were section hikers by the way).

I suspect this will end this completely ridiculous argument.

You might not have a stick in your butt but you sure have some wrong ideas in your head.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++