WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Survivor Dave View Post
    I think you are just jealous that your cardiologist isn't allowing you to have any grease laden food anymore. If you can't have it, no one can, huh?
    Your such a suck up Dave..................

Images

Here's a pic from a trail feed I did back in Mar '06. There's a few more in my WB gallery on the 2nd page. Feel free to use any of them. I humped everything up to the top of Rocky Bald. I really enjoyed the experience, but, I prolly won't do it again.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Smith Gap, Pennsylvania - SEE your (The AT Guide) for more information

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    My presentation will discuss trail magic in all its forms, from the traditional, spontaneous random acts of kindness to the pre-planned feeds (which some consider "trail magic"--especially recent hikers, and some don't).

The guidelines are not focused just on feeds, and if feeds are done off-trail or in developed areas that takes care of most of the concerns. Unattended food in the backcountry can create trash that becomes an eyesore, and a problem for volunteer morale. There are also potential problems with animals getting into food.

ATC has so far decided to go the route of education, rather than developing a formal policy. We embrace trail magic that is done responsibly and has positive impacts for hikers and the trail environment, as well as the volunteers who care for it.

In the last year, here at ATC HQ we haven't heard of any problems or conflicts (I was asked to do this workshop more than a year ago). I'm trying to get a sense of whether trail magic is being done more responsibly (in some cases I believe this is true) or whether local trail managers have just come to accept the practices they once considered problematic (my sense is this is also true, based on what I've seen on my section-hikes in the past year).

Laurie
    Laurie,

Thanks again for all you do to help the AT, and all the hikers.

Please update us all on any new information you have gathered on "trail magic", from the 2009 Vermont ATC Conference?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++