WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dirt road at blue ridge gap in Georgia

Does anyone know what's the name of the dirt road that crosses the AT at the blue ridge gap in Georgia? Where does this road start at?

Default I think....

I think that the name of the road is Hightower Road or Hightower Gap Road. It is off of Hwy 76 before you get to Dick's Creek Gap. It starts as a paved road, then turns to dirt maybe a half mile from the trail crossing.

Almanac

Images

That road begins on Rt. 76. If you are traveling north on 76, it is the first right after you cross the AT at Dicks Creek Gap, about 1 1/2 miles. Keep going straight on that road, first crossing Walls Creek after 1/2 mile and the joining up with Hightower Creek in about 1 mile. Keep following Hightower Creek (do not cross the main part of the creek, you will cross three small feeder creeks) for another 2 miles until you reach the section that branches into 2 4WD roads. Take the branch to the right. This road crosses the AT in about 1/2 mile and continues as a 4 WD road down the other side for about 2 miles until it joins a road along the Tallulah River.

Thanks for the info. I sectioned hiked to Bly Gap in April then backtracked to Dicks Creek Gap for a ride home and I was considering starting back at Blue Ridge Gap.

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo
    That road begins on Rt. 76. If you are traveling north on 76, it is the first right after you cross the AT at Dicks Creek Gap, about 1 1/2 miles. Keep going straight on that road, first crossing Walls Creek after 1/2 mile and the joining up with Hightower Creek in about 1 mile. Keep following Hightower Creek (do not cross the main part of the creek, you will cross three small feeder creeks) for another 2 miles until you reach the section that branches into 2 4WD roads. Take the branch to the right. This road crosses the AT in about 1/2 mile and continues as a 4 WD road down the other side for about 2 miles until it joins a road along the Tallulah River.
    Lobo,

I think Upper Hightower Road(?) is 2.6 miles west of Dicks Creek Gap on US76. I was up there earlier this year and would not recommend driving to Blue Ridge Gap for anyone who did not have a vehicle with a high ground clearance. It is pavement except for the last mile or so and you have to be careful at a few spots, it is not for temid drivers. After it crosses the AT it becomes a more serious 4 WD road with some significant water crossings. Since I didn't have a 4 WD vehicle, I had to stop and go back out the way I came in and couldn't make it to the Tate City Road(?).

Youngblood

I am thinking about doing an overnight this weekend. I want to try and hike into the Kelly Ridge Roadless Area to take some photos from Dick's Creek Gap, or that general vicinity. Does anyone know a good safe place to park in the area? I am aware of the Poteat's Blueberry Patch Hostel, as I stayed there in 2000. I am also aware of Hikerhostel.com, as Josh & Leigh are good friends. That's awful far for an overnight however. Are there alternatives (parking lots) that are relatively safe?

Thanks.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Last Thursday (June 25, 2015) I was able to drive up to the AT trailhead at Blue Ridge Gap. I was there two weeks ago and the road was not passable unless you were driving a high clearance 4WD. Thursday I found the road much improved with all the washouts and rocks removed and was able to drive my Subaru right up to the trailhead. I do not know how long the road will remain in good shape or if this was just a onetime clean up and repair due to the exposed digital cable that was uncovered in the washouts.

Images

They are a hostel just below Dicks Creek Gap that may have parking.

I was on Hightower Rd. last June and saw a dumptruck of gravel and a road grader up Charlies Cr Rd that goes to Blue Ridge Gap and onwards across the Tallulah River.

However, that road washes out regularly. I got my Subaru that road once by building a ramp of rocks to get over a boulder alongside a deep washout. I didn't want to go back the same way, so I headed towards Tallulah River. Came to another boulder going down, had to crawl out the car due to blackberry brambles, build a ramp and proceed. I was so revved up by the time I hit the river that I just floored the Subbie, windshield totally awash in sheets of water, until I hit gravel on the other side where I stopped to use the windshield wipers. An adventure for sure but lesson learned - scout the blasted road!

El Sordo
    Images

I've driven both ways on this road, but it's not really worth it to go to the gap on a regular basis. When I shuttle I have the hikers walk down to the pavement for pickup.
    Dyslexics Untie!

++ New Posts ++