WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Rusty's Hard Time Hollow Closed?

Posted today on trailplace.com

"After 25 years of serving hikers, Rusty is closing the hollow to new hikers for good as of June 7, 2007."

Quote Originally Posted by thestin View Post
    Posted today on trailplace.com

"After 25 years of serving hikers, Rusty is closing the hollow to new hikers for good as of June 7, 2007."
    old news. won't be missed

You could be right. There were some threads in the past few weeks about Rusty complaining that people weren't visiting.

I understand he's open and closed his home to hikers several times.

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

I was at Rusty's a few weeks ago and had a nice visit with him and Pirate... NOTHING was said about closing. He was just disappointed in a lower than usual number of hikers. Recently trailplace reported that I had closed... correct... but when I asked to have the posting clarified HE wouldn't do it.

Thanks for the info, Miss Janet. I have found info here to be much more reliable, mainly because people here are actually on the trail on a regular basis.

Default Well...

If he'd moved to within 3/4 mile of the Trail, or at least to along a road that crosses the trail that gets enough traffic to make hitching not too tough, that would have upped his traffic. He's been at this for years, and had to have known the score.

Images

It would help, too, if people actually knew where his place was ahead of time. I didn't get directions until I was at that shelter right there, the next morning....I said, "sorry, you're too late with the info," and I kept on hiking.

Default Oops

Correction. Not sure when Diesel ate there, but he notes that he did in his 7/9 entry.

Quote Originally Posted by thestin View Post
    You could be right. There were some threads in the past few weeks about Rusty complaining that people weren't visiting.

I understand he's open and closed his home to hikers several times.
    rusty is always complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey2006 View Post
    It would help, too, if people actually knew where his place was ahead of time. I didn't get directions until I was at that shelter right there, the next morning....I said, "sorry, you're too late with the info," and I kept on hiking.
    Directions are in the Companion.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Janet View Post
    ...He was just disappointed in a lower than usual number of hikers...
    I don't know Rusty, and didn't stop there in 2005. However, I think he would have a better turnout if hikers weren't constantly guessing if he is open or closed. He's closed shop so many times that I know when we were on the trail, most conversations about Rusty's involved "I would go, but I don't know if it's open."

Regards,
    -MacGyver
    GA-->ME

Images

rusty was singing the same tune in '01, i'm sure if hikers stop there, they'll have a place to stay. rusty's got nothing else to do anyways.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

I was there June 18th.

conscientious objector

hi minnesota rusty owns the only property with a driveway on the parkway there is no move. besides if he were to close alumni would always be welcome. paw
    conscientious objector

Default Rusty's is most definitely open for 2008

Hey everyone! I just talked to Rusty last week and he is definitely open for the 2008 season and thereafter. I thruhiked back in ‘93 and have been friends with him ever since. I try to visit as often as I can but that usually winds up being just a couple times a year.

He first started taking in hikers back in 1982 and has had over 10,000 stop in during their hikes since then. He is one of the, if not the, oldest hostel on the AT still operating. He is in his late 60’s now and it is getting harder for him each year to get all the chores done around the place (if you can pitch in while you are there, it is definitely appreciated!). There have been changes over the years including getting electricity and a telephone, but it is still the same old Hard Time Hollow that you remember (believe me, it is good that he has those things now that he is getting older).

He is a one of a kind and the Hollow is truly a unique place not to be missed. Waynesboro is pretty much like any other big trail town if you need to stop there too (I went to both). And yes, he still takes a Polaroid of each thruhiker that stops in. He still has the photos from all the previous years up on the ceiling or in photo albums, so check ‘em out when you stop by. His driveway comes down off the Blue Ridge Parkway in between mileposts 16 and 17 (mile post 16.7 if it existed ) Enjoy reading the dozens of funny signs posted on trees while walking down the driveway! happy hiking!!!!

Merry Hikester

Default For good reason.

Every year the same story. The way its set up is good. People who are willing to take their time and explore the community of the trail are the ones who make it to rusty's, and they are always richer for the experience.
    The best time for hiking is..... Tomorow.
    Hobo joe

rusty's is hardly a rich experience

Images

Default Open as far as I know

I've spoken with Rusty recently and he plans to be open for 2008. He does ask for a $20 per night donation now.

Directions to his place are in both the Thru-hiker's Handbook and the Companion. It's a driveway right off the Blue Ridge Parkway.

The post on Trailplace mentioned was several months old, and as people have commented, Rusty has been known to change his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McCaw View Post

The post on Trailplace mentioned was several months old, and as people have commented, Rusty has been known to change his mind.
    never count on rusty's as a hostel and a place to rest. better to continue to waynesboro

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++