WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default cant find pepsi can stove fuel

I checked Gander Mountain and Dicks Sporting Goods. I am going to give the pepsi can stove a try. I've heard nothing but good things about it, but I want to make sure the fuel is readily available in my area. Nearest backpacking store is 75 miles away. I'm not even sure they carry it.

Images

Denatured alcohol? Home improvement stores or WalMart, in the paint section.

Almost any gas station will have HEET in the yellow bottle. Get that. That's denatured alcohol.

DON'T get the red HEET bottle (it's isopropryl "rubbing alcohol" and will soot bad). Also, don't get any gas line dryer with "contains petroleum distillates" on the label either.

Images

Got mine at Home Depot.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Swank View Post
    Almost any gas station will have HEET in the yellow bottle. Get that. That's denatured alcohol.

DON'T get the red HEET bottle (it's isopropryl "rubbing alcohol" and will soot bad). Also, don't get any gas line dryer with "contains petroleum distillates" on the label either.
    Absolutely correct here. You want the Yellow Heet.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Swank View Post

Heet Yellow is methanol. Denatured alcohol is ethanol with additives to make it undrinkable.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

That other stuff will work, but like the clean burn of real pepsi can stove fuel.

...available at your local bottler.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Images

Here is a link you may find useful.

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Super...dex.html#Fuels

As a side note I recently made the basic supercat stove and tested it on my kitchen counter with an aluminum pan using SLX for fuel and was impressed with how quickly it boiled water.

Heet in the yellow bottle seems to work the best in the pepsi can stove. It is available at every autoparts store, Walmart, most quikiemarts, many drugstores and most places that have an auto supply aisle. Denatured alcohol is much harder to find. You usually have to go to a hardware store or paint store for that.

Images

Heet is now a seasonal Item at my walmart, and they quit selling denatured alcohol too, Luckly there not the only store in the area to shop well atleast for now.

Storyteller
    Images

Yellow Heet is available at a lot of convenience stores.

Images

While traveling through Europe, I stopped at an outfitter who had a bottle of alcohol near the stoves, I asked if it was denatured alcohol I could use in the stove and the young cleck replied no. I asked why they had it near the stoves and he said legally he couldn't sell it for use as a fuel for stoves, but if I knew what it was for, I should buy it. It worked just fine. By the way, getting fuel is no problem throughout Europe either--you just need to know what they call it in each country.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.......

John Muir, September 3rd, 1873, letter to Sara Muir Galloway

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pahillbillybear View Post
    I checked Gander Mountain and Dicks Sporting Goods. I am going to give the pepsi can stove a try. I've heard nothing but good things about it, but I want to make sure the fuel is readily available in my area. Nearest backpacking store is 75 miles away. I'm not even sure they carry it.
    They do not make fuel for this type of stove any longer due to the fact that those who have the monopoly on the stove market wants to see it go away........

Alcohol stoves are nearly a century old. If they haven't left by now, I don't think they are going anywhere.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

When I carry an alcohol stove, I only use golden grain alcohol (190 proof). My reason is that I don't like the chemicals in Heet and other common sources of denatured alcohol getting on my skin. The price isn't much more -- a couple bucks for a pint. Of course, the clerk will think you're a stone-cold alcoholic, so a loss of face is part of the price.

So add liquor stores to your list of sources of stuff that will burn effectively in your Pepsi stove.

They have been using yellow heet on the Iditarod trail for years and years now....don't think they're gonna get rid of it any time soon either.

Most gas stations have it, auto zone, or any autoparts store. Wally world and home depot, lowes, k-mart probably have the denatured. I have heard they work the same, I stick to the heet...just picked up a weeks supply for 3 people for 4 bucks. You can use Isopropyl from cvs or a convenience store but you get more soot.....but it works....get 91 % if they have it

Images

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    When I carry an alcohol stove, I only use golden grain alcohol (190 proof). My reason is that I don't like the chemicals in Heet and other common sources of denatured alcohol getting on my skin. The price isn't much more -- a couple bucks for a pint. Of course, the clerk will think you're a stone-cold alcoholic, so a loss of face is part of the price.

So add liquor stores to your list of sources of stuff that will burn effectively in your Pepsi stove.
    thats a shame, waste of alcohol...
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Images

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post

Up north ya cant get that stuff anymore. I used to buy it for making punch and what not for college parties but now you can only buy it if you own a catering or restaurant business.
    "I drank what?" Socrates

++ New Posts ++