WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Sorry to see Dave have too turn loose of this one.
    He's always pushing for the edge.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Yes, with all that David Horton has accomplished in his 50's, it is more proof that long distance hiking and running requires strong mental disipline. It's mostly all a head game.
    Except when you start peeing blood, that's not really mental.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Yes, 55 miles/day over 6 days is an awesome acheivement!
    Good stuff, despite coming up a little short...
    And to factor in the guy is practically 60, that's awesome and it's what makes me feel like a wus.

Horton is da Man!.... he'll be back.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    there's a big difference between the 2
    oh sure, like YOU know anything about long distance running...ever run an ultramarathon? those guys are crazy!!

He gave God the glory. Good show, David. Spending time with family is where it's at. You only have one set of parents. I've lost one of mine, and time with my mom is very precious to me. There's obviously much more to David Horton than speed hiking.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Christus Cowboy
    Images

Default You are correct

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I have my doubts on this one.
    That record is tough and he is getting old.
    Didn't he get lost last time out?
    You are right on all counts... My parents are Dave Horton's next door neighbors and know him well.... He is definitely capable of getting it done but caution was the best course of action on this one... Last time out he got dangerously dehydrated and if it wasn't for a livestock tank that he came across he may not have made it. I think that previous experience made him very congnizant of what his body was telling him...
    Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love..... 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

I gotta agree with LW here. Logistics, planning, it's easy to run if you got a warm soft bed every night. Not so much hiking.

I am the same age as David and have run a few ultras but he is much much faster and more dedicated than i am.
    But I know that there are some internal aches and pains inside me that show themselves much more at 58 (for one more week) than they did at 51 (when i was in my prime)

Sorry to hear about the blood. That's dangerous stuff.

I still have aspirations of doing something extreme but everytime i get near the "wall" I have to remind myself of my age.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Yes, with all that David Horton has accomplished in his 50's, it is more proof that long distance hiking and running requires strong mental disipline. It's mostly all a head game.
    long distance walking is nowhere as tough or physical as long distance running. that's the difference

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    Horton is da Man!.... he'll be back.
    If the last two attempts are any indication, I think David's record setting days are over.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    If the last two attempts are any indication, I think David's record setting days are over.
    Well, he's had a good run...
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by Homer&Marje View Post
    Go Horton....great to see ANY attempt at a record like this....olympic in nature, true athlete.
    Why is it so great? Why encourage the guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I have no doubt he can do it. The biggest reward for him will be the accomplishment, not the accolades.
    If this were really true, he'd be doing the trail with no one knowing about it. It'd be his own private goal and the accomplishment would be personal. A competitive sporting event is all about accolades.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    This info was posted on Montrail's FB page.

Pretty gnarly stats! 60 miles and 12k gain..egads!

Today is day 7 for Horton as he attempts to break the supported speed record for the Colorado Trail. He's feeling good and moving along well and on track.

Yesterday he covered segment 17, 18 and 19 over 47.9 miles and a total elevation gain of 5,320 feet as he approached the La Garita Wilderness in the San Juan mountains. Beautiful and rugged terrain.

Today is a big day for Horton, the biggest in terms of total elevation gain, as he'll cover 60.5 miles and a total elevation gain of 12,700 feet. Epic! He'll cover segments 20-23 (there are 28 segments to the Colorado Trail) and will cross three mountain passes. If all goes as planned, Horton will finish on Sunday afternoon with a new Colorado Trail speed record. Good luck Horton, hang in there, we're pulling for you.

Day 1 - 57.6 miles, 8720' elevation gain
    Day 2 - 60.1 miles, 9660' elevation gain
    Day 3 - 52 miles, 7900' elevation gain
    Day 4 - 62.4 miles, 9760' elevation gain
    Day 5 - 50.3 miles, 9840' elevation gain
    Day 6 - 47.9 miles, 5320' elevation gain
    Day 7 - 60.5 miles, 12700' elevation gain
    Day 8 - 51.6 miles, 7850' elevation gain
    Day 9 - 42.1 miles, 5040' elevation gain

Total Distance = 484.5 miles
    Total Elevation Gain = 76,790 feet
    Here's clear proof of someone with an obsession for daily mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    David reported that for the last four days he has been urinated blood.

Definitely the right choice. I'm no health professional, but urinating blood I imagine is one of the top signs that your body is saying "STOP"!!!
    The voice of reason above is blotted out by the blurb below:

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Yes, 55 miles/day over 6 days is an awesome acheivement!
    Good stuff, despite coming up a little short...
    This is your opinion and not one shared by everyone. People have the right to applaud his efforts, and people have the right to downplay and criticize his efforts. Let's hear both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Seems to me, supporting your fellow man, and someone who by all accounts is an extraordinarily nice human being - is the right thing to do. You do things differently Walter. And post about it here frequently. That's your choice. Most people including me are respectful of your choices. It would be nice if there was some reciprocity. Horton is doing harm only to himself. I wish him a speedy recovery.

If this were really true, he'd be doing the trail with no one knowing about it. It'd be his own private goal and the accomplishment would be personal. A competitive sporting event is all about accolades.

Here's clear proof of someone with an obsession for daily mileage.

The voice of reason above is blotted out by the blurb below:

This is your opinion and not one shared by everyone. People have the right to applaud his efforts, and people have the right to downplay and criticize his efforts. Let's hear both sides.
    freakin' debbie downer why are you always on here talkin' about your little campin' trips?

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    Seems to me, supporting your fellow man, and someone who by all accounts is an extraordinarily nice human being - is the right thing to do. You do things differently Walter. And post about it here frequently. That's your choice. Most people including me are respectful of your choices. It would be nice if there was some reciprocity. Horton is doing harm only to himself. I wish him a speedy recovery.
    I suppose Horton is doing harm only to himself, and he has the freedom to choose what he wants to do with his life. No problemo. My quandary comes from seeing groupies line up to applaud a STUNT, pure and simple. Some guy hikes the AT with a tuba? Let's follow his every move. Somebody tries to haul a 100-plus Golite pack on the AT and see how long he can stay out w/o resupply? Let's check it out. What's the difference between a speed hiking stunt and walking the AT backwards or hopping on one foot or pulling an upright piano or doing a thruhike on your hands? Why not do a speed hike and pull 50-60 miles a day while carrying a 100 pound pack? This would really set sort of record.

freakin' debbie downer why are you always on here talkin' about your little campin' trips?
    I suppose Horton is doing harm only to himself, and he has the freedom to choose what he wants to do with his life. No problemo. My quandary comes from seeing groupies line up to applaud a STUNT, pure and simple. Some guy hikes the AT with a tuba? Let's follow his every move. Somebody tries to haul a 100-plus Golite pack on the AT and see how long he can stay out w/o resupply? Let's check it out. What's the difference between a speed hiking stunt and walking the AT backwards or hopping on one foot or pulling an upright piano or doing a thruhike on your hands? Why not do a speed hike and pull 50-60 miles a day while carrying a 100 pound pack? This would really set sort of record.

Well, TW, we're waiting! You didn't answer the question posed by LW.

To me, there is nothing interesting about following someone's hike when they are doing the typical. But when someone challenges themselves, and pushes limits, I tend to get interested. I am not alone in that regard.

Lets try and keep this thread positive and on topic. If someone wants to open a new thread about stunt hikes, or whatever, go right ahead. Just please don't do it in the Other Trails forum.

Images

Tipi you are more than free to express your criticism of Horton's hike, but the fact that he is doing something that most people physically couldn't do is impressive to me and many others. I guess seeing how far the human body, mind and spirit can be pushed has always been intriguing to me.

I fully support David Horton and his adventures. I just wish he could do his record attempts a little bit later in the hiking season out West. He has accomplished a great deal in his life as an individual and as a teacher/mentor.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++